#249937 10/08/08 03:22 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Am pondering making an FFT.

Is it common courtesy to email the author first? After it's done? To get the author's stamp of approval or simply inform him/her? What if another FFT has already been done for the same fic? Is it common courtesy to email the other FFT maker first? After? For approval or informational purposes only? [For an FFT that wasn't done by the author of course.]

Thoughts? Thank smile .
Carol

#249938 10/08/08 03:48 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
When I did one, I made it without talking to anybody, but I did email it to the author and got her approval before posting it. Not sure about if there is already another FFT for the same story out there.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#249939 10/08/08 04:06 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There are no hard and fast rules on it, Carol. It can never hurt to let an author know you're doing a FFT based on their story, but you don't have to seek their permission first. Most authors will be only too delighted that you've chosen their story to highlight. Although, purely as a matter of courtesy, if I was going to do a FFT and the author seriously objected, I probably wouldn't, just because there wouldn't seem to be any point if the author was so violently opposed to the idea.

And previous FFTs come more or less under the same umbrella as various authors using a similar theme for a story - just like we have lots of stories that are TOGOM rewrites. Same deal. If you wanted to ask/inform first it might be an extra courtesy, but there's no requirement to do so.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#249940 10/08/08 08:12 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Out of curiosity... what does FFT stand for?

#249941 10/09/08 03:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
FanFic Trailer. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard