Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#246775 01/25/07 04:05 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This is something I did at work today. ...and this is why I love my job -- I work for Avid and I sit there everyday in front of this really amazing video editing application. smile I've been transfered back to the video division (from the 3D one) early this year and so I need to learn to use the applications again, hence "use them and edit something". laugh

So I got this silly idea and I grabbed a big bunch of motivational posters and... well, there you go.

Motivation; The Movie.

Before you get real excited, there's a few things I need to say...

- I couldn't use all the posters because I don't know how to crop and resize with the app yet, so I only grabbed the ones that were the same size. I realized afterwards that one of the portrait images slipped in there, it wasn't supposed to. Eh... Sincere apologies to everyone whose images didn't make it in because of that. I didn't actually mean to cut images out of this!

- Some images I couldn't download when I was checking out the thread this afternoon. Some looked like broken icons. I'm sorry about leaving those out too, there really isn't much I could do. frown

- the images don't stay up long (about 3 seconds each), cause there are soooo many! The clip lasts 5 minutes, so anyone good with math should be able to figure out how many I put in there.

- the captions are hard to read... and the image is small. That's YouTube for you, cause the original movie is bigger than that (640x480) it is however somewhere above 20 megs. If anyone wants that file, I can put it somewhere for you. smile

- I did this on one of the most advanced video editing applications you can get your hands on, but I only had an hour and I hadn't touched this app in 2 years, so... don't expect miracles. This isn't Movie Maker where there's an "auto movie" option, I did all this by hand - not that there's much to it, but every single transition was added manually and all that.

...Yes, I know I'm totally short changing myself with all these notes. I just don't want anyone to go see this expecting something insanely wonderful, because it's just this silly little thing that I did because I needed to work with the application. And cause the first thing I thought of doing when she gave me this assignment was something L&C related. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#246776 01/25/07 05:08 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nice! I picked out a couple I don't remember seeing, so going back to the thread to check those out.. goofy wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#246777 01/25/07 05:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice Lara! That was lots of fun and way faster than surfing through 10 separate pages of them. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#246778 01/25/07 05:24 PM
Columnist
Columnist
OMG Lara, I'm SOOO jealous that you work for Avid! I'm a graphic designer who only plays with a/v editing on the side, but I'd love to do it professionally someday. Do you mind if I ask what kind of stuff do you do for them?

~Anna

#246779 01/25/07 05:28 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Lara, you read my mind. I downloaded all these pics and set them on random for my screensaver, and I was thinking, 'now, if only they were set to music...' smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#246780 01/25/07 05:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by BanAnna:
OMG Lara, I'm SOOO jealous that you work for Avid! I'm a graphic designer who only plays with a/v editing on the side, but I'd love to do it professionally someday. Do you mind if I ask what kind of stuff do you do for them?

~Anna
Okay, #1. You're a graphic designer?! That's so cool. I'm a graphic designer, too. We should have a geeky art conversation sometime about what you do; I'd love to hear what areas or programs you dabble in.

Back on topic...does it amuse anyone else that we've made enough posters to warrant their own video? I think it's great. <g>

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#246781 01/25/07 05:42 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
laugh Thanks guys!

I hadn't thought of using those as a screen saver, but that sounds like such a great idea, Lisa. Thanks for the suggestion. smile

hehehe - you know... I've been there for 6 and a half years and it's still a great big high to be able to say I work there. smile I totally cheer at the end of the credits when I'm at the movies and I see the logo come up on the screen. Hehehe!

As far as I know, in Montreal, we work on DS (that's the HD editor which is used for most of the HD tv shows you can watch - and this one is made 100% in Montreal), MediaComposer and Symphony. And XSI, too, which is the Softimage product for 3D modeling and animation.

Personally, I'm on the development team - I write automated tests that serve to help the quality assurance testers do their job. I also write little tools and applications for that purpose. I don't actually write code for the editor applications, though... but if you were to open up XSI, I designed a bunch of icons for it. It's my (very) small claim to fame. wink

#246782 01/26/07 11:18 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fun! Put altogether like that, they're really hot *and* funny! laugh

PJ
who still loves the gecko...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#246783 01/26/07 12:21 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
That was really cool, although my computer doesnt play videos very well so I couldnt watch very much of it without giving up but what I saw was great. I also saved my favorites and set them as my screensaver and put the cowboy one on my desktop so I could drool over him everytime I look at my computer, lol.
Kate laugh

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
#246784 01/26/07 12:24 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Cool! I see that I have missed many.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#246785 01/27/07 06:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was great Caro!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#246786 01/27/07 06:40 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
glad that you guys thought it was funny.

and sorry again to everyone who's image wasn't in that... I never meant it to make anyone mad. frown

#246787 03/27/07 12:50 AM
Columnist
Columnist
making a screensaver it of it was a really GOOD idea!! laugh Nice work!! laugh laugh

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#246788 03/27/07 03:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
and sorry again to everyone who's image wasn't in that... I never meant it to make anyone mad.
I've just caught up with this. Given the sheer number of posters, Lara, I can't see that it would be reasonable to expect you to use all of them. It would be a heck of a big screensaver if you did! laugh It therefore seems both logical and reasonable for you to use the ones that appealed personally to you.

Not something to get mad over, imo. huh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#246789 03/27/07 06:59 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I'm sorry to reveal my ignorance, but is there any way to download things like this? If not, it's a shame. In any case, if there is, somebody please explain it to me. I've stopped watching them because of the frustration involved.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#246790 03/27/07 07:46 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I really like this video! Thanks for making it, Lara!

But I must point out that you can make the video fullscreen on YouTube. Though I'm not sure how much it will help... When you're watching the vid there is a button to make it bigger. Find the silver strip on the bottom and look on the bottom right hand corner. There should be two squares there--the first makes the vid smaller and the second makes the vid fullscreen.

And yes, YouTube videos can be download. But you need an FLV and you have to save the clips as an FLV file. I used www.keepvid.com and they have instructions on how to do it plus where to get a free FLV player.

I hope that helps!

#246791 03/27/07 02:16 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just another thought, if you save a bunch of pictures you want to a folder and then set your screen saver to play just that folder, you can have them all for your viewing pleasure. It's what I did, though I do like this video a lot more... I love the music. laugh

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#246792 03/27/07 03:43 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Oh, I really like that idea! Thanks Laura! laugh

#246793 03/27/07 10:29 PM
Columnist
Columnist
That's what I did! and I love it!! :p laugh
But it is to bad there's no music when you do it that way frown smile laugh

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#246794 03/28/07 01:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
is there any way to download things like this?
For Firefox users, there're extensions to save clips from YouTube. I use Ook? Video Ook! Just one click and the clip is save. smile

Afterwards, you can use Super © to convert flv files for others formats. wink

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard