Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
As you may have noticed, I've been having fun with my new headset lately. I haven't had a decent quality computer microphone before. I've also got a lot of time on my hands these days.

The latest result of that situation?

AudioFic.

It's a little experiment I'm springing on you guys.

You've heard of AudioBooks? Same idea. Record a file of someone reading a story.

Today, I did a cold reading of part one of Persephone\'s Return . I picked that one because it's relatively short, was well-liked enough to get a Kerth nom, and is not written in the first-person perspective of a young girl.

It's a little rough. There are some mistakes. The intonation could perhaps be better in places. For a first shot, though, it's not bad. I hope. You'll be the judge(s) of that.

It's also rather large. Larger than I was expecting. 11.6 megs. I'm not sure what I can do about that. Anyone know a way to change the bitrate of an mp3 file without making it sound horrible? Or should I just record shorter segments?

If you're interested and have a high-speed connection (or a lot of patience), please download the file and let me know what you think.

Should I do the rest of the story?

Should I make the sections smaller?

Should I do other stories? (If so, any requests?)

Anyone else interested in doing stuff like this? Maybe we could even voice cast a story, to make the speakers more distinctive...

Or is this all just a waste of time and bandwidth? (Please don't be afraid to say so. Really.)

Whatever you think, please let me know. smile

EDIT:
I've finished the recording. Also rerecorded part one. It's all at a lower bitrate now, so the files are smaller (while hopefully still being clear).

Persephone's Return:

Part One (5.8MB)

Part Two (3.4MB)

Part Three (5.3MB)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I really like this smile ! Keep going!!

Should I do the rest of the story?
Yes! Definitely!!

Should I make the sections smaller?
Hmm I don't know I prefer to have it all in one part but if people have problems with bandwith etc then maybe it's better to devide it in sections.. I'll just go with the flow cool

Should I do other stories? (If so, any requests?)
Yes smile But after you finished this one :p

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooooh, neat idea!!!! Now that I think about it, I can't believe that, with all the fic out here, that this hadn't been done, because there *are* people who prefer audio stuff. I'm not one of them myself, so probably won't listen to any. But the idea is awesome, and I know people who listen to books on tape and stuff, so . . . just have to find some FoLCs who do that.

For speech, bitrate is usually lower than music, because speech can get away with lower sound quality. What bitrate do you have the file at?

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, Paul - just yesterday I wondered whether it wouldn't be great to listen to fanfic while I'm doing other stuff.

Logox came into my mind, an old programme, able to read written text - but unfortunately it's very old and has this stupid computer voice dizzy

So, I LOVE your idea and it would be pretty cool to if you could do more of this stuff.

Now, I'm gonna listen to your work - really looking forward!

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So, interest seems to be limited. Which is okay. It was an experiment.

Thanks to those who did comment.

I'll probably come back and finish off this story in the next few days or so, but I don't think I'll be doing any more.

As for bitrate... I found the Audacity option. Seems it was set to 128 (k/sec, I'm assuming). I'll probably lower that for the rest of the story.

Jana, if you want to work with other stories, there are programs to do it. A quick web search for "text to speech" or something similar should turn them up. Alternatively, there's a Wiki article with a good number of program links, including a bunch that are free.

Anyway, thanks again to those who posted their thoughts. I'll post back to this thread when I have the rest of the story recorded.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hey, Paul,

I'm not really into audio pieces because my attention tends to stray away. But I downloaded and listened to the first few minutes of it, out of curiosity. And because I like the listening practice laugh (I had no idea this was how you pronounced Persephone. I thought the -phone part would be pronounced like 'phone' :p )

I don't think I'll be downloading any more, but perhaps others would enjoy it. In any case, it's a neat idea. And you narrate well smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This could seriously be the answer to my prayers, Paul. My work constantly keeps me away from the internet or any electronical devices to read fanfiction from frown I'm travelling a lot and while my laptop has limited battery life this option is limited to probably an hour out of five each day.

I've ordered some audio books now and then and recently found a neat collection via iTunes which will keep me busy for a few months. So listening to some fanfiction would be a neat and welcome addition.

But then I don't believe that this really fits the profile of any fanfiction community, nevertheless I could and should kiss you for that idea wink Thanks for giving it a try even if you won't pursue it further.

Bettina

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Elisabeth and I actually thought about doing this several years ago, but when we tried it, the size of the files were huge, for that time frame, and we had a limit on the amount we could record before the recorder would turn off.

James, who can't wait to hear what Paul sounds like. hyper

ok, I listened to it. Wow, Paul, I never would have guessed your voice would sound like that. You sound so...mature (please take that the right way wink )

You could do this professionally.

I'd like to here the next part soon.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I hope you keep doing this! laugh

Just don't do nfic.. goofy That would sound very.. well.. ehm.. you know. wink

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
blush thumbsup

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ooo, more responses! smile

Anna - That's how I was taught to say the name. It's kind of confusing, especially since it's also sometimes written as "Proserpine." But you'd probably know how to say it better than I. Persephone is, after all, a figure from Greek myth. How is her name pronounced in modern Greek?

Anyway, I understand if it's not for you. I'm not sure that, as a reader/listener, it would be for me, either. Thanks for trying, though, and glad you enjoyed what you did hear. smile

Bettina - Check the links in my above post. A text-to-speech program will allow you to covert fic into audio files. You won't get the intonation and such, but it's better than nothing. I know someone who did that for reasons similar to your own, and I think it worked well for her once she got used to it. (Don't remember what program she used, though.)

James - Not sure what you mean by "mature." I am in my late 20's. I'd hope my voice would be mature by now. laugh Is it that I tend to be goofy and have a cartoonish avatar? Well, whatever the case, thanks for the comments. Glad you like it. smile

Selinde and MetroRhodes - Uhm... Thanks. blush Glad to know you like my voice.

As for nfic, I don't generally read it and I wouldn't record another author's work without permission.

I am, however, open to requests.

Anyway... Now that I found the recording quality setting, I've finished the job. I rerecorded Part One and then recorded Parts Two and Three. Not sure how well it really works. I tried to distinguish quotes and proper names, but it can be tricky to pull off. Hopefully, it's clear.

I'll edit the first post as well, but for those who want to hear:

Part One (5.8MB)

Part Two (3.4MB)

Part Three (5.3MB)

Paul

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for following up with the missing two parts Paul.

Regarding your idea/comment about TTS software: the last bit of experience I've had with that was coincidentally Logox some years ago. I'll be trying to gather some information on such software but as far as I can remember, pretty much each and everything sounds like a bad metallic computer voice from some cheap action movie wink Thanks for the ideas though.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
...Proserpine? Why? /me Googles... Aha, found it. Proserpina was apparently her name in some Greek dialects, and passed along as her Latin equivalent.

I recorded myself saying 'Persephone' (Περσεφόνη) as it's pronounced in modern Greek. Here\'s the file .

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I haven't had time to listen to the file, but that doesn't mean I don't think this is a great idea, Paul. Could be fun to do more of them. Others, too. With the permission of the authors, of course, as you say.

One thing you can be sure of. I ain't doing Masques. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Has anyone contacted Jude to let her know? As many of you know, she has severe vision problems and would probably love this option!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Bettina - Yes, TTS will, by its nature, sound mechanical (though I'm told that they've made improvements in the vocal quality, even if not intonation and emphasis). If you can get used to that, though, it may be worth it. Up to you, of course. It's a very individual preference.

Anna - Thanks for the file. Interesting. I wonder why the English pronounciation (which you can also hear here ) is so different. It is a proper name, after all... Oh, and while it's just the one word... You seem to have a nice, soft, clear voice. smile

Lab - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm open to doing more if there's interest. If I did, though, I'd probably have to start looking for a better place to host the files. My personal webspace is limited.

But... hmm... you sure about Masques? laugh You, a microphone, a barrel of cider... Could be fun. wink

Irene - I didn't know that about Jude, but that sounds like a good thought. Do you have her contact info handy?

Paul

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
But... hmm... you sure about Masques? [Big Grin] You, a microphone, a barrel of cider... Could be fun.
LOL! I'd certainly need a barrel of cider. Probably more than one. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, the English pronunciation of Persephone doesn't sound all that foreign to me. As I said, I thought it was worse <G> If you try to say it the way you say it, only accentuating the 'o' instead of the second 'e', you'll be pretty close, I think.

And, thanks for the compliment smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi Paul!

I just saw that I completely forgot to give you some feedback.

Due to my bad English (especially when I have to listen to someone) I had to read the story at some points. But as I read a good story several times, I'd certainly use this audio option after having read a story completely.
And it is definitely a good exercise.

Today, I brought your file to my language lunch meeting (English people trying to learn German and vice versa while having lunch) cause I had a question concerning the pronounciation of a word and everybody praised your voice which is actually perfect for this kind of work!

Well, I'd love to listen to more of these things - either from you aswell as from other authors.

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Paul, I haven't listened to this yet because I'm mostly on Athena these days and I don't really feel comfortable listening to fanfic there, headphones or not <g>. But I did want to comment on the TTS option.

I used to run fanfic off to mp3s all the time. A few years ago I had a data entry job that let us listen to music all day. But at 40 hours a week, I exhausted my music collection pretty quickly. I turned to audio books from the library, but they required a lot of prior planning (ie, requesting a title and waiting for it to be sent to the library near me, and then actually going to the library and picking it up... I couldn't do this on the spur of the moment.) And they didn't always have the books I wanted. What I really wanted was to be able to listen to fanfic <g>. So I went in search of TTS software, and I came up with NextUp\'s TextAloudMP3 . I could paste a bunch of fanfic into it, set it up to convert overnight (it read pretty quickly, but I used to give it a lot to read <g>. I think it could convert anywhere from 10x to 50x; that is, 1 minute conversion for 10-50 minutes of audio.), and then transfer the files to my mp3 player in the morning and take it to work with me. Not quite spur of the moment, but pretty quick and more convenient than going to the library. I did all my Kerth "reading" aurally that year wink

You do have to get used to the voices. They don't sound like a normal person. You just have to accept that they'll never be perfect. But after a while I noticed that sometimes they intoned things differently than I might have imagined, and it made me think about the story differently <g>. Once in a while my computer reader could teach me something wink It's been a while since I used TA, since I don't have that data entry job anymore, but I think I used to prefer AT&T's Crystal voice.

The other thing to be aware of is that if the computer doesn't know a word, it'll try to sound it out. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. With TextAloud you can "teach" it the proper pronunciation of words you use often (names, etc); I assume similar programs work the same way.

Anyway, there's a 15-day trial of TA available on their website. This comes with just the standard voices, which aren't as good as some of the others you have to pay for but should give you a good idea what they sound like and you can decide whether or not to purchase one of the better ones. I also still have several old audio files that I made this way. If anyone is curious in hearing what they sound like, I'd be happy to share for demonstration purposes wink

Honestly, I adored this software when I had the data entry job. Kept me awake at work more often than I'd like to admit <g>. One of the biggest user testimonials on their webpage is mine wink

Kaylle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard