#243185 11/13/05 11:13 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
*kicks laurach out of the thread*

okaaaaay! back to mortals now! yeah, i did another drawing the other day, but I cheated. I started a rough, light sketch, and then came back and looked at it a few hours later and....decided to cheat! So I scrapped the first one, and started a new one by overlaying the picture I was doing with tissue paper and sketched the major features. (it doesn't help that this person has weird-*** eyes). (and a weird-*** nose). (oh, and a bizarre mouth, too.) at least I'm allowed to cheat to place them properly. it....didn't suk! but I'm still gonna work at it. today I think i'm going to grab some L&C pics off the internet (just so we can pretend to stay roughly on topic, here! smile ) and try some o' those. then walk a couple blocks to see iffn office max can scan em onto a disk for me....then.....um... then I'm going to consult the "how to" technical topic on here, cuz I don't have a web site, and i think ya gotta have a picture posted on a web site before you can put a link to it here?.....

(ps laurach---I assume you know I hate you in a friendly sort of way, right? blush )

#243186 11/13/05 11:16 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
ps that's a number 2 pencil? holy cow, batman.....

artist's pick-up line: "I got a 9B lead, baby...."

#243187 11/13/05 11:42 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
You don't neccesarily need a website to post pictures here. If you have a Photobucket account (which is free!) that works just as well. smile

#243188 11/13/05 02:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL Sileas. Don't kick me yet. I bet your drawing is great. Listen I should tell you that I traced the main outline then I drew in all the shades and shadows. I work kind of gestural or impressionistic. I have an MFA in fine art and computer graphics. I went to College for 9 yrs for my masters and I have about 200 credits on a masters level. I had better be able to sketch a likeness. Meanwhile I do have a fine art site. I also teach computer graphics on a college level. If you need help posting images just let me know. My website is wwww.laurachristian.com For me this is an OK drawing. I worked on it less then an hour. If I had a good pencil and paper and Dean to pose then I could do a real drawing. I mostly do graphic arts now but I am still a closet sketcher. Though my Masters in Fine Art was in Painting I haven't picked up a real paint brush in years. the ink wash drawing of dean is the closest 've come to picking up a brush again. Mostly I use photography and a mouse. Here is an example of the stuff I put in art shows. Laura

http://www.laurachristian.com/RussiaWeb/pages/carnival3.htm

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#243189 11/14/05 11:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
WOW! You have real talent! smile

#243190 11/15/05 02:26 PM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
coooolllll.....

for some reason, they look like....choklit. like i wanna pick them up off the page and eat them. so real photographs manipulated?

HAY! HAY HAY HAY! I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU!!!

some years ago, i fell madly in love, and his name was "PC Paintbrush" by Softkey. my man has since been destroyed by the Evil Microsoft Windoze XP monster. (it won't run on XP. Had my computer geek bro-in-law sniff it over.) here's my question: Are there any good paintbrush programs out there anymore? this program I had was....stupendous, especially considering that my mother (who truly literally cannot be counted on to find the "carriage return" on the keyboard and who has palpitations just walking into the same room as a computer) picked it out of a bargain bin for 13 bucks. I love that lil guy, and it doesn't work anymore. It's got a few toys on it for manipulating photographs, but what this lil feller could do with "painting" was....gobsmacking. blending the colors was probably....well, that sucker was legendary. are there any paint programs left out there? or have they all regressed/devolved into the basic windoze paint program that comes with windoze?

i'm still at the drawing. I grabbed some L&C picks from the internet, had em printed, and tried the one of lois, since it was the largest/highest res one. it actually turned out pretty good! hair bores me, but....slight possibility that if clark saw that picture, he'd get graphite on his lips.

but then, last night i tried one of clark....

I hate him. I wanna break flower pots over his head. bass-turd. grrrrrr.......... razz hate 'im. hate 'im hate 'im hate 'im.

i'm going to go have some alcohol and then try someone else. grrrr....

#243191 11/15/05 04:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes the Russia Photos are real photos manipulated. But the Dean drawings are real drawings with a pencil. The previous one with his son was in ink. The photos of him served as the model for the drawing. Thanks.

As for good paint programs, for me Photoshop is the best but Painter is also fun for the paint brushes. I think Tineke uses Photo Paint. So you could ask her as well. As for drawing a person, it helps if you have a love for your subject<g> Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#243192 11/16/05 04:05 PM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
love your subject? nope, not me. well, define love. if i'm drawing a male that i gots the hots for, or one i'm nervous about getting right, I screw it up. i just finished another drawing tonight, a copy of some anonymous girl in a drawing book, and I think it turned out pretty good. maybe i'm just better at drawing girls. cuz they've got recognizable LIPS. HEAR THAT DEAN? LIPS. BUY SOME. bass-turd.... razz razz razz of course, come to think of it, i did fair on the drawing of val kilmer. 'course, he's also got lips like a girl. devil

when i've got 3-4 decent ones, i'll post em on here. photobucket account? *scratches head* never heard of that. wotzit?

photoshop and painter. photoshop as in adobe? that's 'spensive, I think. painter---who makes it? i'm guessing there are probably 13 different programs out there called painter. tell me more.

#243193 11/16/05 05:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think Macromedia puts out painter now but yes I was talking adobe photoshop. Hmmm I think Dean has nice lips. Since I have kissed his real lips with mine I can tell you they are very soft and full and nice<g> drawing them is harder then kissing them though<g> laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
#243194 11/18/05 04:52 PM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
kkk...k-k-k-...... jawdrop

i'm gonaa, like pretend i never heard that, k? there's that letter again....

i did another one. ok. so tomorrow, theoretically, i will take the one of teri/lois and have it scanned, and one or two of the others, and ....theoretically have em posted on here. although....

that second one you did of just dean? did you scan it in in color or black and white? if you scanned it in in black and white, that would explain why it looks so dark. i know, sounds silly, the difference of scanning it in in color or b/w when it's just a pencil drawing, no color, but there is a subtle difference. i'd be innerested in seeing that one in color.

#243195 11/18/05 06:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No it was just a pencil drawing but when I played with the one above in photoshop I tinted it blue. I made it darker in photoshop. It is all the same drawing, just played with in Photoshop with a few different effects. The darkness is from dropping the levels. The actual color of the drawing is the shiny grey of a number 2 pencil<g> Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
#243196 11/19/05 06:50 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
well, i FINALLY got around to following the link that you had posted at the bottom of the drawing. that is cool....very cool.... and you DEFINITELY have talent, because you drew pretty convincingly what bores the crap outa me---ears. i've had to draw a few of em the past week or so, and i just kinda......said the heck with it.

i'm off today (i think) to scan those drawings in, but ....fill me in on a "photobucket account". I think LoisLane posted about that.

#243197 11/19/05 11:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The thing is Sileas, Do not look at things like "Lips", "ears". You learn in basic drawing classes to follow the line, the curve, the shape of something. If you look at it as an eye or an ear, your left brain wants to attach a symbol for it. The eye and the lip and the ear is all made up of lines, shapes, curves. Look at it with a different eye. Don't attach a name. Draw each inch with the same care as any other. Betty Edwards book has a better and more in depth explaination. If you can draw a line, you can draw anything. Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"
#243198 11/19/05 11:48 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
yep, i hear ya on the betty edwards stuff, right/left brain. I'm not saying it's difficult, it's just.....boring.... the ear, if there is one in the picture/drawing, is usually one of the last things I put on there, and by then, the important part of the drawing is done, and i'm all impatient to have it officially Finished and sign it/date it, etc. or go all the way to marriage, if it's good.... devil

i do have those books, both of hers, but I've noticed on line---her first one, the original drawing on the right side o the brain, is now out again in an expanded edition. I'd like to see it sometime. Maybe i *shoulda* gone into barnes and noble today when i was out and about....

I actually decided to wait til tomorrow with the scanning in, so no posting drawings today. Right now i'm also busy searching for more of my brand of drawing pencil (i think i doomed them to oblivion--i can't find any!), a skull to draw (found two on line. you can have it cheap or good---pick one of the two), stuff like that. looked in a couple of stores today, and didn't find much. frown

#243199 11/19/05 03:51 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Sileas -

All you have to do is go to www.photobucket.com to get an account. The rest should be self-explanitory from there.

If you have any questions though, please feel free to ask me. smile

#243200 11/20/05 11:31 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
thanks for the link! i'll look into this.

hey drawing geeks---do you know of where one can find a skull? i went looking on line again last night......cheap or good. bugger. I suppose I could kill one of my relatives and carve the meat off and do that. i've got some knives, and the contacts in the local police dept.

I found my drawing pencils!!!!! dopey never thought to go find the faber/castell web site before. found em and ordered em! along with I think two woodless HDs. smile got at least one woodless 4b, and about two 9Bs as well..... cool

well, kids, i've scanned em in. the lois one I cheated on---overlayed the pic with tissue paper, sketched the major features, and transferred it to my drawing pad. bite me. now i'm going to go investigate photobucket.....

#243201 11/20/05 11:42 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
ya know.... I got most of the way through the registration process for a photobucket account, and clicked out of it. I was mildly surprised when they wanted my street address, but when they asked for my home phone number and then my social security number....sorry. nope. I don't feel they need that info. it may be ok for others, but not me. I guess i was a little puzzled when they wanted my real name, too...... o well. I'm gonna go investigate other avenues....

#243202 11/20/05 05:02 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Um...okay...that sounds nothing like the Photobucket that I signed up for. I would've never joined it if they asked me for those kind of questions, especially for the social security stuff. cat

#243203 11/26/05 06:54 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
ifounditifounditifoundit! smile1 smile1 smile1

i found the picture of dean with his son that laurach drew up top! i found it i found it i found it! eeeee!

*ok i'll go in the corner and be quiet now...*

#243204 11/26/05 07:41 AM
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
ya know, i was about to post a request for on-line pictures that i can print out and draw, and then i found THIS SITE:

http://www.absolutenow.com/photos/Cain_JS0042.html

wow. wowee. I was practically licking my computer screen, and i thought i was past that age. it's that they are so frigging CLEAR. absolutely crystal and very high res. i'm DEFINITELY going to be grabbing a buncha these for drawing.

see, here's my goal. over on the fanfic challenge area, I posted an idea a few months back about going to a fan convention and instead of actors, you'd get The Real Thing. instead of Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain, it would IN FACT be Lois and Clark. The more I thought about it, the more fun and intriguing this idea was to me, but I had great difficulty even deciding whose point of view to do it from, or what style to write in, should it be a formal novel style (which, for this idea, sounds way too dry) or more like a posting on here (OK! Report from the Convention! Here we go! You guys, it was soooooooooo cool!) etc.

So this idea coincided with the vow I had made myself ("When I move out and have a place of my own, I'M GOING TO START DRAWING AGAIN. ") (that was even worth figuring out how to use bold! smile ). so! I really thought the casual "It was soooooo cool!" style really would be best for a story idea that is alt even for the alt crowd, and on this board, but otoh, you also DON'T come back from something like this without having filled up nine digital cameras, right?

so I have officially appointed myself Official Photographer for this alt-alt convention story, and i'm going to attempt to tell it through drawings. and of course, since it's me, I have cleverly used Superman/Clark Kent as bait to get the guy from the east coast involved too! :p i have very unofficially decided I should start this series of drawings by july---If I keep drawing, I should be good enough to at least start the easier ones by then. so I'm hunting around for clear, close up, high-res pictures of Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, although with the site above, i've found a motherlode for dean cain. looks like someone practically came down his throat with the camera. I know the pics on Val Kilmer's site are surprisingly high res too, or at least the couple i've grabbed off of there. Teri is a girl, so of course there'll be tons of high res shots of her all over the place. she'll be the easiest and most fun to draw, and with the ones I have planned already, I have a feeling Lois is going to be The Darling Of The Convention. The ones I have planned for her are downright charming and funny! smile1

oh, and ps, i've emailed a drawing of teri hatcher to my very pink baby thithter and she and her hubby will post it on one of their sites so I can link it in here, just so we can pretend to stay on topic. smile

although here's the question---if I actually do get good enough to attempt this, how does this story get stored? with it being told mainly through pics, it can't go in the standard archive. I've invented a new story type! smile1

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard