Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#239874 07/08/04 09:31 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey smile

I have never made a music video. I've got a four-yr-old Windows 98 machine. But I'm shortly going to acquire a brand new computer, probably a Dell, and I would like to give video-making a try... so, what are the basics that I would need? Dell offers upgrades to fancy software -- would I need that added in, or are there built-in programs that would do just fine?

/me is so confused...

But at least I know where to go and who to ask <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Hey Pj,

I dont know if I can help, But I have a dell and I have windows xp. SO if you get that, Windows Movie maker comes with it. Hope thats what you meant.

Rach

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Pam,

I use Pinnacle Studio 8. It came with my new All In Wonder Pro video capture card (which you will need, a capture card that is so you can hook it up to a VCR/DVD/Cable/ Satelite and record video from those sources). The program was about 80 dollars, and then I upgraded to the professional transitions and such which were another hundred. I really didn't have the money at the time, nor do I now, but I consider them valuable teaching tools.

Personally I do not care for Windows Movie Maker, it does not give enough choices as in effects, even though I do have the professional edition that you buy at the store, it still really isn't my choice on a personal level. But then I'm just goofy like that.

Pinnacle is used by professionals, and that's what I want to one day become, so maybe that explains me:)

These days though you can get a relativly cheap capture card. I had to get a new one after switching to XP b/c the old one I used wasn't compatible with XP. What a differnce four years between making videos made:)

Andrea:)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I got an ADS video capture device. There are several models, you'll pay more if you want it to be able to both import AND export video & audio, less if you just want it to import. The thing will hook into your comp's USB port most likely, so it's good to make sure your new computer has the best USB technology available at the moment, for the fastest transfer. I chose mine after reading numerous reviews on the internet. I wanted something that didn't drop frames, and this one is very good about that. It came with several software programs, including a DVD-making one and also the video editing software called Ulead. It's pretty easy to use. The capture device & the software together cost about $130 and I've had so much fun with them it's been well worth it.

Molly
Top Banana
Top Banana
Pam, I don't use a video capture device because I have a set of the DVDs. If you have a set of the DVDs, you won't need to worry about capturing video from VHS - you'll be able to pop the DVDs directly into the DVD player that is a part of your new PC. However, you will need to convert the DVD episodes into usable format, which does require conversion software. And to that end, I recommend you get a PC with a LOT of memory - each converted episode is well over 125 mbs. so they start to gobble up the memory very quickly.

I use Movie Maker 2 software which comes free with Windows XP. It works great for me - does everything that I need for it to do, but it isn't fancy by any means. Honestly - it is a good way to start out - kind of like training wheels on a two-wheel bike <g>.

Once you get your new equipment, let us know and we'll start throwing out tips to get you going.

Good luck!
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Not everyone has L&C on DVD and those who do either did it themselves or acquired them via illegal means (L&C is not yet availble on DVD so anyone who is selling them that way is doing it illegally). If you put them on DVD yourself that is fine and dandy, but there are so many illegal copies being sold on Ebay that just mentioning that you own L&C on DVD makes my skin crawl. Also, not everyone has the ability to make the DVDs themselves to begin with, so video capture devices are usually the best way to go, because you can capture so many different mediums that way.

Basically Pam it's up to you what to do, but if you need recommendations on software and such you will find plenty willing to help.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Are these DVD's logo-free? I mean, do they have that huge TNT/TBS logo in the corner? smirk I know for some people this is all they can get their paws on, and in no way am I saying that people who don't have access to logoless clips shouldn't make music videos to their heart's content, but Pam I know you've been a FOLC for ages and probably still have your tapes from ABC (even TNT in first-run from Pilot to Tempus Fugitive had no logo). Seriously, capture those if you can. Those clips/tapes are a precious thing. smile

The cost of these DVDs, plus the time it will spend converting them, plus the huge amount of HD space it will take up... it doesn't seem any easier to me than just capturing scenes you need. Okay for argument's sake, I'm not saying either way is better or worse than the other. :-)Andrea's right though, I think people are jeopardizing our chances of getting legit DVDs. Who knows. Maybe not. I just would hate to tick off the WB to the point where they just say "well they seem happy with their bootlegs, let's not waste our time on this show anymore." Then they'll run off to put Drew Carey on DVD instead. I can see it now. The Drew Carey Show: The Best of Mimi - Volume 1 AUGHHH!! smile Oh sheesh that better not happen.

Molly
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, guys!

Sounds like I'm gonna want a video capture card. And I'm going to want to start out with pretty easy software, so Movie Maker sounds perfect.

I got an ADS video capture device. There are several models, you'll pay more if you want it to be able to both import AND export video & audio, less if you just want it to import.
Okay, just checking -- where would I export video & audio to? To play on my TV...? Or put on tape?

I recommend you get a PC with a LOT of memory - each converted episode is well over 125 mbs. so they start to gobble up the memory very quickly.
You mean hard drive space? I haven't ever had trouble with an over-stuffed hard drive, but then I haven't made videos before, either. smile

Yeah, I do have tapes from ABC, although I didn't start taping until after Tempus Fugitive, so I've probably still got the kind with logos in the corner. But then, I know someone who's got even older tapes than me laugh so she and I might be able to work something out...

About the DVDs, my own highly cynical opinion is that WB will never get around to making L&C DVDs. Now, I wouldn't buy anything off of eBay, but if a friend happened to have the eps on DVD and offered to make me a copy... I just might take them up on it. I've made copies of videotapes for people before, which is the same thing, really. Basically, as long as nobody's making any money on the deal, I don't have a problem with it. But that's way off topic smile

Thanks for the tips, everyone, you've been very helpful! smile And I'm pretty sure I'll be back to ask more questions later.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Pam,

If you started taping after TF on ABC then you're logo free. All networks didn't start regularly stamping their logo on every freaking second of every show until around October 1997, right when TJO started on TNT. If your eps after TF are all ABC then the only logo you have is the good ol ABC one (sarcasm) that came up after the opening credits and the half hour break for a about ten seconds. I've been stuck using clips for my videos with that logo, but it's nothing compared to the glaring TNT one. I'm still redoing videos that got stuck in with the exception of one I couldn't get a better copy of (PML...would have probably had the ABC one anyway)

I wish networks would realize how distracting those things are:(

Andrea

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, just checking -- where would I export video & audio to? To play on my TV...? Or put on tape?
Yeah, to put on tape or play on your TV. That's why I made sure the cap device I got was able to export. But, unfortunately, my capture device uses USB 2.0 whereas my computer is still in the dark ages with USB 1.0, so I get a huge frame rate drop when I try to output (inputting is still okay, go figure). Since I don't have a DVD burner on this computer, I wanted to be able to put my videos back onto tapes. But if you get a new computer with DVD burner, then that should suffice. smile Plus, I can always put the videos onto CD-Rom! I've shown several of my video creations publicly, via those projectors they use for PowerPoint presentations, so there's always some way to work around obstacles. laugh I will make sure my next computer has a DVD burner though.

Molly

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard