Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
For the next question on the list, I decided to go with a character not portrayed in the new "Man of Steel" movie (so those of you who haven't seen it yet, don't have to worry): Jimmy Olsen. Once again, I am asking individually for your top three live-action actor choices. I have also added a question of which actor you think best embodies the character from comics-canon (you may choose 2 answers for this question). I apologize in advance for any misspellings, errors, or omissions. I've tried to be accurate. If you only liked one portrayal, or none of them, I have included options for you.

For voice-only actors, please use Voice Only Superman Actors Poll for listing your favorites. Thank you.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I voted for Justin Whalen as the best Jimmy Olsen. It's really a tossup for second and third place for me, but I ended up giving Jack Larson second place and Michael Landes third place. To be fair, though, Jack Larson had more time to create a memorable Jimmy than Michael Landes did.

I've only read a small number of comics, so I'm not really the best judge for who came closest to the Jimmy Olsen of the comics. Except for Tommy Bond, I thought they all fit what I saw of the character in the comics fairly well. I ended up saying Justin Whalen and Michael Landes, though.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I still have to say that Michael is my favorite. If he had been given time, his Jimmy would have been a better character.

Just my opinion.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aaron Ashmore in "Smallville" was tainted for me because they made a hash out of his character and

(SPOILER HERE)

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

In the melange of bad writing that was the end of Season Seven of "Smallville", Aaron Ashmore's character was revealed not to be Jimmy Olsen. Rather, he was "Henry James Olsen".

Basically, the writers cheated. One reason why I prefer the earlier seasons of "Smallville" over the later seasons - there was more attention to continuity and fewer harebrained writing decisions in the earlier seasons.

Kerth
Kerth
I voted for Michael Landes as my favorite. I liked Jimmy as written in S1. I know in the later seasons Deborah Joy Levine had less input and so it's possible that Justin's version was tainted for me by the fact that he was written as more of an idiot than Michael's Jimmy. S1 Jimmy was more street-wise (which was also a departure from the comics) and had a little edge to him. Besides, his Perry White imitation in 'Fly Hard' is pure comedy gold.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Aaron Ashmore in "Smallville" was tainted for me
I agree. What they did with his character is one of the biggest blunders of the entire series. It still frustrates me to think about it.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted for Michael Landes as #1, Justin Whalen as #2, and Jack Larson as #3....

I really loved Michael's portrayal and didn't have a complaint in the world about his acting-- I remember being surprised/upset when he was replaced. I thought he really brought a lot of personality to the role.....BUT Justin Whalen really did grow on me pretty quickly, and I did end up really coming to love him in the role. I hate it when roles are recast like that, but in the end, I think they both did a good job. I just decided to vote for Michael b/c if they never would have replaced him, I would have said him easily...

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard