Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238627 05/17/10 02:43 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Since Labrat's already vetoed frivolous polls in the name of fun, please vote for your favorite Olsen. Thank you. smile

Just got married (21st June 2010).
#238628 05/17/10 05:52 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
When I was a kid and read the comics, Jimmy was a guy who was much shorter than Superman/Clark Kent, and Jimmy also had red hair, in stark contrast to Superman's black (or blue???? eek ) hair. Jimmy also looked pretty much like a kid, at least sometimes, although I could never get used to comic book Jimmy's slicked-back hair and weird way of dressing. What kid would look like that? razz

[Linked Image]

As for comic book Jimmy's age, he often seemed to be about the same age as Batman's Robin, and Batman's Robin seemed to be about fifteen or even younger in the Silver Age comic books that I grew up with. So if Jimmy is more or less the same age as fifteen-year-old Robin, Jimmy can't be more than eighteen himself, and he might well be younger.

[Linked Image]

But anyway, because I expect Jimmy to be rather short, red-haired and young-looking, I could never accept Michael Landes' tall frame, dark hair and comparatively mature look. No way he looked like Jimmy Olsen! So I was glad when they replaced him, although it's a pity that they didn't get Justin Whalin from the beginning. If you think that Lois Lane's haircut was startling, what about Jimmy's total metamorphosis? eek

Ann

#238629 05/17/10 05:57 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
TOC: in the Land of Weird and the Home of the Crazed (aka Metropolis) anything is possible? XD

#238630 05/17/10 11:23 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm never really able to choose between these two. When I watch S1 I enjoy ML's performance and when I watch the others I enjoy JW.

I do have to confess to having a sneaking liking for JW generally just because of a guest performance he made in an episode of my other all time favourite show, The Young Riders. He was absolutely superb in that and I saw that before I saw LNC. So if they were going to replace ML I was kind of happy they chose JW to do it. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#238631 05/18/10 12:20 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I like Justin Whalin better, too. He was just right to be Jimmy. Michael Landes was cute, but he came across a bit creepy in that episode where Lois's sister Lucy was in town. lol. Justin Whalin IS Jimmy Olsen. Young, cute, eager-to-please, and wholesome-looking. laugh

#238632 05/18/10 02:28 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow!!! I'm currently the only one who likes season 1 Jimmy better.

It's funny, though. When I write a Lois and Clark story, I usually see season 2, 3 and 4 Jimmy in my mind.

Funny how the mind works (or in my case, doesn't work laugh )

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#238633 05/18/10 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The explanation for the switch is that Jimmy is a Time Lord (from Doctor Who) and he Regenerated....

But seriously, what an insult to our inteligence. As if we wouldn't notice....

Having said that, JW was better....

#238634 05/19/10 05:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm another of the few that prefer the Michael Landes Jimmy.

It's a close thing. In S1 I think Jimmy looked more the part. However, Justin Whalin seemed a little closer to the personality that I could see for Jimmy.

I don't care for either portrayal very much. I guess in my mind Jimmy should be seen and not heard so I pick S1.

Bob

#238635 05/24/10 06:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Superman's black (or blue???? [Eek!] ) hair
If you have ever seen anyone with true black hair (not very dark brown or a brown / black mix) their hair takes on a blue sheen in certain light.

I like Justin much better. I think he is more eager to please and a kind of goofy in a Jimmy sort of way. I didn't like the vibes I got from Michael in his role as Jimmy. But I've loved him in other stuff. I just think this was not the role for him. I thought he was kind of a snooty kind of Jimmy.

I know that Lara Joelle Kent likes Michael as Jimmy.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#238636 05/26/10 06:46 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by bobbart:

I don't care for either portrayal very much. I guess in my mind Jimmy should be seen and not heard so I pick S1.

Bob
LoL. I can just imagine your ideal episode, Bob. Jimmy walks in, hands Lois a thick folder of research, and then scurries off. laugh

#238637 05/26/10 08:13 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
I can just imagine your ideal episode, Bob. Jimmy walks in, hands Lois a thick folder of research, and then scurries off. laugh
You know, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but that's about all I ever do with Jimmy. I mean really, Jimmy is there so that 8-year-old boys that read the comic books will have someone to relate to. He serves no purpose in any adult telling of a Superman story. In a Lois and Clark relationship centric universe, what purpose does he really serve as a character? I can think of only one possible use for him (other than carrying stacks of research) and I may just have to do that sometime in the near future.

I don't hate Jimmy. Like another famous James, he's just as useful as Kirk was while M5 was running the Enterprise. (Assuming M5 wouldn't have gone insane.) We should call him Jimmy Dunsel .

Bob

#238638 05/26/10 09:00 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Bob, you put that so perfectly! Jimmy Dunsel, indeed! thumbsup

Ann

#238639 05/27/10 04:45 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
If someone would have posted this during S2, I probably would have picked Michael Landes. It took me quite a while to get used to Justin Whalin after the switch. Looking back now though, I think I preferred Justin.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#238640 05/27/10 04:50 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think it is interesting to consider the character of Jack when we discuss the character of Jimmy. Jack was a pure Season One LnC creation, and he has never been seen in any version of the "Supermanverse" before or since. What was Jack doing in Season One of LnC? I think he was being the kid. It's canon that there must be a kid in any superverse, and Michael Landes' Jimmy Olsen was unable to play that part. Therefore Jack was introduced. But after Justin Whalin took over as Jimmy there was no need for an extra kid, and Jack was dropped.

Ann

#238641 05/29/10 02:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah. And Justin's just really that endearing, right, Ann? laugh

#238642 06/09/10 10:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Michael Landes is the better Jimmy. Justin seemed more like a kid than a peer, whereas Michael was on a more equal footing with L&C.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
#238643 07/10/10 06:19 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I think that Jimmy is not suppose to be on an equal footing with Lois and Clark. He is suppose to be this young, eager beaver, annoying little brother. Justin played that much better.

To me Michael Landis looked too old for how I pictured Jimmy. In season 1 where Michael played Jimmy he looked ridiculous running around being afraid of Perry. He looked old enough to be a college graduate and in the work force for a couple of years in other words he looked almost as old as Lois and Clark. From day 1 I found Michael Landis annoying as heck as Jimmy and terribly cast.

Justin seemed a much better fit for Jimmy but I did have a major problem with the wardrobe they picked for Justin's Jimmy it just didn't look like him even if you were going for him not dressing with his career in mind.

#238644 07/12/10 05:35 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Justin. Definitely Justin. I see Michael Landis as a cocky know-it-all character that I like in other things, just not as Jimmy.

Shallowford
#238645 07/21/10 09:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I liked both but JW wins for me. ML was just a little too creepy/perverted for me. Like wasn't there an ep where he and Cat were talking about getting it on, or he was wanting a date w/ her or something like that. And in PML when all those models are at the DP and he's drueling everywhere... granted JW Jimmy would be doing that too but ML Jimmy was just more... creepy about it or something.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#238646 07/21/10 01:52 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I agree with whomever said that Michael Landes was too old looking to play Jimmy. Lois was 26 in the pilot, and theoretically turned 27 not long after (remember, she's a Libra) and Jimmy was supposed to be a news aide/intern type who would be in their early 20s.

Michael Landes would have only been 21 during the first season, but he looked older, and his wardrobe didn't help. I liked that Justin Whalin looked younger and a bit more casual, like a kid just starting out in newspapers wearing what he thought was appropriate office attire -- flannel shirts and jeans.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard