Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#238465 05/13/09 06:29 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I'm sorry if this question is offensive to anyone; I'm just honestly curious. I've noticed a strange pattern among my friends, and I want to find out if its an actual correlation or just a flukey coincidence. So would you be so kind as to indulge me with answering a personal question?

~•~
#238466 05/13/09 06:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, I think there are certainly things that run in families, or in certain ethnic groups. What kind of results have you gotten so far?

#238467 05/14/09 02:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey, I think there are certainly things that run in families, or in certain ethnic groups.
Yeah, it's true. For example Hipertension is common among african-american people. I know Diabetes (depending also about which type we're talking about) is common in a specific population although I can't remember which one...

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
#238468 05/14/09 03:28 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think diabetes is affecting more people in the general population than specific ethnic groups now. I discussed this a little bit with Queenie yesterday after she posted the poll. I had to run around and poll the people I knew with diabetes. My brother-in-law and his son are both juvenile diabetics. The mother-in-law is Irish Catholic, and the father-in-law is methodist with an English/Scandavian ancestry. I'm fairly sure my mother's boyfriend (also a juvenile diabetic) is some sort of christian, but I don't know him very well. And I had to run over to my diabetic black coworker to ask her religion, which is Baptist.

While diabetes can affect certain ethnicities more (a quick search says Hispanics, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian Americans, African Americans, and Pacific Islander Americans are more likely than any other group), diabetes seems to be a growing concern. I could be wildly off base, but I think it's because of our diet of processed foods, plus all of the sugar and fake-sugar we digest, which our bodies can't handle. Add to it our increasingly sedentary lifestyles (how many people work in an office sitting for 8 hours a day instead of doing manual labor?), and it's no wonder that more and more people are being affected by diabetes.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#238469 05/14/09 05:21 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I have also known a number of diabetics that were also alcoholics that had no history of diabetes in their families. Although diabetes can run in ethnic groups and families the lifestyle of people today is most definitely causing the increase. As said we eat poorly and don't move.

#238470 11/15/09 07:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
QC, this group is far too small for a statistically significant number of diabetics (or Jews!) Also, you don't seem to be distinguishing between Type I and Type II, which are genetically quite different (although both seem to have genetic tendencies that are passed in families, Type II much more so).

Anyway, although I am not a diabetic (yet, anyway), there is Type II diabetes in my family. My dad has it, and several of his older relatives (a great aunt of his and I forget who else) did too.

All Jewish.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard