Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#238348 09/15/08 01:30 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I'm hearing rumors of a plot to ditch Biden from the Democrat ticket and put Hillary Clinton in as VP. I'm just curious to see how that would be received, hence the poll.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#238349 09/15/08 02:12 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, dang it, Pam - you went and got my hopes up there for just a second with that header that Palin was toast. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#238350 09/15/08 02:14 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
rotflol Sorry to disappoint you...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#238351 09/15/08 02:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I would have voted - marking myself as ineligible in the first question - but none of the reactions to the rumour fit me. It's not that I don't think Obama would ever choose Clinton as his running mate: if polling data and other evidence showed her to be the most politically-astute pick, I think he'd have chosen her. It's not that I don't think Hillary would ever say yes: I think if she'd been asked she'd have jumped at the chance. (Though asked as such a public second choice? I don't think so).

I don't think it would happen simply because I can't for one second imagine that either campaign would switch running-mates partway through. I'd have thought that any ground they might gain from having a 'better' running-mate would be more than lost through the ridicule and bad publicity that would result. For the rest of the campaign, Clinton would be dogged with the label 'second choice'. Obama would be portrayed as indecisive, inexperienced and unreliable, with evidence and media footage to back up the charge.

So, no, I don't see it happening. Where are you hearing these rumours, Pam?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#238352 09/15/08 02:33 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I hadn't heard it as a 'rumor' but as a general question on talk shows 'so do you think Obama should replace Biden?'

And Biden wouldn't be *dropped*, but rather would have some health crisis or something so that he felt he wouldn't be able to serve as well as possible or something like that.

I think that Obama should have at least vetted her and then said he'd decided to go a different route or something like that. I don't know that she would have accepted it as offered. I think the rumors from four years ago *may* hold true here as well. The rumors were that the Clintons wanted Kerry to lose so that she could run this year in an open field rather than against an incumbent Dem president [don't ask me where I heard them because I don't remember - and I did hear them this year but I don't remember where either - probably along the same lines as the ones above].

I put possible because it wouldn't surprise me to see a change in the ticket, but I don't think it would be Hillary but someone else - don't ask me who.

Carol

#238353 09/15/08 02:39 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Obama would be portrayed as indecisive, inexperienced and unreliable, with evidence and media footage to back up the charge.
I agree.

And I agree about the Hillary thing. I wanted to note that whatever Obama would gain from party unity might be lost with the whole "post-partisan" narrative--if I'm recalling correctly that was a winning argument against her.

I should say, I don't really believe it (I don't put stock in narratives much), but I think she was percieved as being really entrenched in the establishment by fellow dems, imo.

I think Biden, however, has the foreign policy thing stand out the most, which is a more necessary sell for the center. And no, I lurk in a lot of left spaces and heard nothing about a change. There's always the debate wink

I think a lot dems actually like Biden in general, they just don't like he's so conventional in the face of Palin's newness.

I believe that's a common sentiment across party lines in this "change" year. wink

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#238354 09/15/08 03:06 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I don't think it would happen simply because I can't for one second imagine that either campaign would switch running-mates partway through. I'd have thought that any ground they might gain from having a 'better' running-mate would be more than lost through the ridicule and bad publicity that would result.
I agree, Wendy, and I don't think it's at all likely to happen. But I've seen references to the scenario on various blogs (and we *know* how incredibly truthful and trustworthy blogs are! goofy ), and I thought it was an interesting idea. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on the part of his opponents smile

Sorry the poll options didn't fit you!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#238355 09/15/08 04:02 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I don't think Obama is going to back down on his first choice. Like others said, that would just make him seem indecisive. And for that reason alone, I think it would be bad for him if he did so.

Ann

#238356 09/15/08 04:50 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
There is one more reason why I think it would be a bad idea for Obama to exchange Joe Biden for Hillary Clinton as his VP choice. While Clinton and Biden are different as politicians, and it would certainly be possible to argue that Clinton is more competent than Biden, the most obvious difference between the two of them is of course that Clinton is a woman and Biden is a man. If Obama suddenly exchanged Biden for Clinton, he would effectively be saying to a majority of the American voters that he now realizes that a female VP is better than a male one because a VP's gender matters more than his or her beliefs, competence or qualifications. That, however, would shift everybody's attention even more from the political issues themselves - the financial crisis, the energy question, America's foreign policy etc. - to the the candidates' own persons. The fact that Barack Obama is black is probably more of a drawback than an advantage for him, and precisely because of that he should try to focus on the issues and not on the race or gender of the politicians.

Ann

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard