Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
You didn't mention in the poll where the politics were located. I don't mind politics in the OT folder where I can ignore their existence or in a signature which is concise. But I hate politics that masquerades as feedback.

I suppose that means that I'm voting for the status quo in which people are generally respectful but diverse.

Elisabeth

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I haven't commented here, but I am probably the person posting most frequently in the Off Topic folder, so I really should weigh in with an opinion.

Personally I think that politics is extremely interesting to discuss. I also think that as far as possible, ideas and principles should be discussed rather than persons. Of course, that is just my opinion.

I think it is extremely important to try to stay respectful during these discussions. It is absolutely okay - indeed, it is pretty much necessary - to discuss what people have said, and to agree or disagree with the statements of other persons. As far as possible, however, I think we should avoid discussing what other people are. After all, how can we know what they are? We can only judge them by what they have said in public, and what they do in public. Sometimes, admittedly, things are revealed about people that they didn't want to make public themselves. It is certainly okay to discuss such things too, but I think we should be careful when it comes to jumping to conclusions, certainly regarding the behaviour of individual people. What do we really know about these things that they are accused of?

Personally, I felt that I was unfairly accused in an ongoing thread in the Off Topic forum. Somebody made an extremely generalized accusation against me, without backing this claim up with any quotes or any other evidence. That is the sort of thing I don't want to see on the boards.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't been following the discussions much. But I wanted to say that I thought this was extremely well said, Ann:

I think it is extremely important to try to stay respectful during these discussions. It is absolutely okay - indeed, it is pretty much necessary - to discuss what people have said, and to agree or disagree with the statements of other persons. As far as possible, however, I think we should avoid discussing what other people are. After all, how can we know what they are? We can only judge them by what they have said in public, and what they do in public. Sometimes, admittedly, things are revealed about people that they didn't want to make public themselves. It is certainly okay to discuss such things too, but I think we should be careful when it comes to jumping to conclusions, certainly regarding the behaviour of individual people. What do we really know about these things that they are accused of?
Even though I haven't been following the political threads (I may start), I think they are fine in the OT folder as long as no flaming occurs. I. too, have learned more in some of the OT threads than I would have otherwise.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The funny thing is that a surprising amount of current law (and often the most sensible bits) can be traced back to old manifestos of the Monster Raving Loony Party, who put up joke candidates at many elections.
Please tell me more about the Monster Raving Loony Party. Is this for real?

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sure, they are. Wiki has a fairly extensive segment on them:

Monster Raving Looney Party

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Personally, I can take or leave politics discussions, usually on a thread-by-thread basis. I might read the more interesting ones (like the current one about Obama bowing to that one king--which I judge by the subject lines) whenever they pop up, but mostly I just wait until election time. That is the time when I go to them the most, because they help me to slog through all of the information out there about the different candidates, and make it easier for me to decide who has the better ideas about how to go about running the country.

Other than that, I just avoid the political threads.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard