Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#238175 05/30/08 05:31 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I know, I think of the bizzare-est things at times, but I was reading a fic this morning while walking (let's not go there shall we) and the phrase, "It's sown the hall, the first door on the right." just reached out and grabbed me.

The house we currently live in has a hallway and the bathroom is the first door on the right.

In the first home I remember, it was down a hallway first door on the right.

In the next house, it wasn't down the hallway, but you had to walk through most of the house to get to it and it was on the right.

In the last place my folks moved to it is down the hall, second door on the right (my old room is the first door and even when we tell people it is the second door, they often try the first door first huh )

In Elisabeth's old home, it was up the stairs and to the right. First door again. (Their current house does not follow the pattern.)

So I was wondering, just how prevalent is this or is it a relic of the past and newer homes(after the 70s) don't do this anymore?

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
I went with outhouse. smile

Actually, I live in a studio apartment. So it's literally the first door on your right - no going down the hallway at all. Of course, if you're already *in* my apartment and want to know where it is, you have to head back towards the front door, go down that hallway, and it's the...only...door on your left.

Though, I don't think this makes much difference to you, as it offers no information on the layout of actual houses. smile

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting.

Most houses in the UK have the main bathroom upstairs. Although there are cultural differences. Areas where downstairs bathrooms are more traditional. I understand these aren't very popular nowadays with house buyers, who can be put off by a bathroom downstairs enough not to buy or who make the ability to shift the bathroom upstairs a necessity of buying.

Ours is upstairs and at the end of a short hallway to the left.

Many houses in the UK have a small 'downstairs loo' as an addition. Just a loo and handbasin. Or just a shower or wetroom. No bath. In the case of older houses, a downstairs room or cupboard is often converted to provide this. These are very often next to the front door.

More than one house in our street has had the downstairs cellar converted in this way. It's right next to the front door. Though it's not at all what you guys in the US would call a cellar, I'm sure. It's really just a very small room. But big enough for the purpose.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Down the hall? Which hall are you talking about? There is no such thing as a hall in our house.

I'd describe it as the first floor, but considering the architecture of our house that's open for debate, I guess. Could as well be one and a half floors, I don't know. However, it's the first (and only) door on the left.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok, two votes coming.

I voted for myself. My apartment complex is relatively new, and my bathroom is down the hall, first door on the right.

My parents' house was built in 1950, and theirs is down the hall, first door on the left. Thought I'd toss in their stats since the main left side only had one vote so far. wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mine is technically the first door on the right. Actually, when you walk into our main entrance there is a hall way that opens on the right but the bathroom is right in front of you as soon as you turn to walk into the hallway so... I guess its the first door on the right (inside the hallway)...

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mine is on the second floor.

Me think you should have asked another question as well, like "does anyone know where the bathrooms are on the USS Enterprise" *giggles*

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What if your house has more than one bathroom? goofy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm guessing he means the powder room or the public bathroom. From the foyer, ours is to the right, past the stairs up and is the third door on the right. The first door goes downstairs, the second is the kids' toy closet. The third is the powder room.

We're remodeling and actually building the lower floors (left unfinished initially), so the door to the downstairs will soon disappear to be replaced with an open stairway. In another few months, the bathroom will be the second door on the right.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by LaraMoon:
Me think you should have asked another question as well, like "does anyone know where the bathrooms are on the USS Enterprise" *giggles*
Well, I once saw a drawing of the Enterprise D's bridge, and according to it, one bathroom was (seen from the main screen) on the left side right behind Worf's station laugh . But actually during the show I've never seen anyone heading into that direction wink

Anyway, back to the poll: Our bathrooms are upstairs, the 1st and 2nd door on the right. And we also have that downstairs loo LabRat mentioned; it's the first door on the left.

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Kerth
Kerth
Upstairs and 2nd door on left.

later - forgot to say that in the flat below me it would be through the front entrance, along the corridor, down the stairs, first door on the right. The layout of this house is weird, the lower flat (technically it's called a "maisonette") is technically on the ground floor and basement, though the entrance to the ground floor is about 8ft up a flight of steps. My bit is technically the first floor (US second floor) and attic, but the entrance is also on the ground floor.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Features Writer
Features Writer
Right now, in our apartment our bathroom is down the short hall to the left(but not the first door on the left, that's our kitchen) I'm hoping the house we move into in Arizona will have the easiest bathroom to access ever(straight ahead!!)

TEEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm hoping the house we move into in Arizona will have the easiest bathroom to access ever(straight ahead!!)
That's where my bathroom is - straight ahead! It's at the end of the hall. The first door on the right is the kitchen, the second door on the right is the bedroom, and the first to the left is the living-room. (I've removed the door to it.)

But straight ahead is the bathroom!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We have two. But the "public" one is down a hall and to the right off the main foyer. Yes, we have a foyer. How cool is that? The second bathroom is attached (or en suite) to our bedroom. This being California, there is only one level, no ups or downs.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
mines along the landing and its facing you at the end. and the one downstairs is down the hallway and on the left, im different

G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G

"Madness is like gravity...it just takes a little push." ~The Joker
Merriwether
Merriwether
Our main bathroom is in the hall, first door on the left. Don't go to the first door on the right, that's the cats' bathroom. I say in the hall and not down the hall because the door is about two feet from the beginning of the hallway.

Not sure, but I've seen the duck. Those engineers are weird. *shakes head sadly*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I really wanted to answer 'outhouse' but I would have been lying... But when I was growing up, two of my aunts and my grandfather had outhouses. My grandfather even had a fancy one - 2 sections and one was a 2 seater - the other section had one. rotflol

So the people that we bought the house from built it - but they didn't know much about building things. For instance: the attic has a lovely finished floor - all except for the section at the top of the stairs. You have to crawl on the beams to get to the finished section. Go figure.

So about the bathroom... Walk in the front door, go through the living room, walk across the hall (not down it) and you end up in the bathroom. Now who in the world (except the folks that built our house) would think it a good idea to be able to see the bathroom door from the front door? It can be very interesting if you are in the bathroom when someone comes to the door...

We also have a second 'half' bath in the corner of the family room.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Let's see, I live in a pretty common appartment... so all rooms can be accessed from the hall and the bathroom's the second room on the left.

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard