Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ok, in Strange Visitor, we are told that it was near evening when Martha and Jonathan see the ship/flash of color that clues them into the landing.

No mention of a young couple talking about a baby earlier. No mention of paranoia about them showing up again.

In Tempus Fugitive, The ship somehow lands earlier, Lois and Clark go and blab about a baby to the not-so-elder Kents eek and the Kent's still find the baby in the early evening.

I am working on a little story that is based around those events.

Should I...

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Is the direction/outcome of your story dependant on which option you choose, or not really? If it is, throw Tempus and all his attendant complications into the mix. Otherwise, ignore the temporal tampering if it makes no real difference.

James, do what makes your life easy, but your story not boring.

Does that help? Oh I'm so glad. goofy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
in TF - Clark does say that his parents had told him they had found him at night. And when we actually see the Kents with the baby, it's dark out. I remember cause I put part of that scene in a vid. wink

As for the rest -- heh. the kiss of forgetfullness worked in the movies, there's probably something in the series, too. LOL

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
gr8shadesofElvis, thanks for your input. (and you to LaraMoon).

The problem is this. I tend to be a veryyyy...details oriented person.(yeah, that sounds nice) Once Tempus Fugitive happened, technically it altered the temporal reality of the future events.

The biggest headache in all this is the ship arriving early.

Did I happen to mention the that I HATE PARADOXES!!!!! wallbash wallbash mad mad splat

ok, I got that out of my system.

If the ship always arrived early, then how did the Kents find the ship in the first place?

If it didn't always arrive early, why the heck do it do it this time?

The only thing I can think of is that somehow, the Kryptonian drive had a temporal component to it and H.G. Well's time machine caused a variance in the space/time ethosphere surrounding the planet. When Kal-El's ship hit the ethosphere, a cascading buildup of energy was generated in the temporal capacitors enabling the ship to arrive hours earlier than it should have.

( I really need to get a job writing techno-babble wink )

I think I know how I want to do this...Thanks!

James

Top Banana
Top Banana
James, I know how you feel. Glitches in continuity make me mad

[Linked Image]

I don't like to think I'm anal, but there must be some reason I own a mug with this on it... laugh

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Aside from the fact that they *could* be slightly worried about why the couple showed up earlier, The reason the Kent's found the capsule was because the saw a streak of blue/red (i.e. Superman) going down on the field.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted 'other' because there's no inconsistency.

If the ship always arrived early, then how did the Kents find the ship in the first place?
This is time-travel for you (all 'timey-wimey', as Doctor Who fans will know wink ). The Kents found it because - even before it happened in Clark's timeline - older-Clark went back in time and flew off to create a flash of light so his parents would see it and think they'd seen the ship land. If he hadn't created that flash of light, then there'd have been a paradox.

So, yes, the ship always arrived early, and Clark was always the one who'd made that flash of light that attracted his parents' attention. He just didn't know until the events of TF that he did it. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
As for the rest -- heh. the kiss of forgetfullness worked in the movies, there's probably something in the series, too. LOL
If Jonathon wasn't paranoid beforehand, I'm sure he would have been after Clark leans in to deeply kiss his memories away. laugh

As for the time paradoxes, Wendy is right. It always was that way because it happened that way the first time.

Elisabeth
who is definitely not a details person and hates the babbling of details people about time paradoxes when she's trying to get to bed at night

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
who is definitely not a details person and hates the babbling of details people about time paradoxes when she's trying to get to bed at night
I tend to adopt the Katherine Janeway attitude to time travel. Don't. Just don't. I rapidly lose the will to live thinking about it. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
rotflol Labby!

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't have anything to add, except... Well, James, your post gave me an idea that might help with the story I'm working on right now (except, I'm jumping up and down with excitement to realize that there is a potential paradox there). So thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll have to think about this some more to see if I can make use of it.

Hmmm...

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Columnist
Columnist
James, I hope you have a first post ready for this story within the month because you have peaked my interest.

I think the Kent's saw SuperClark streaking around the sky is what the Kent's saw. That is why Clark and Lois were in such a hurry to get the baby back to the field before dark when the Kent's arrive.

Columnist
Columnist
Just kill Tempus off and be done with him. I hate his character and tend to skim stories that he is a lead character in. I always thought the time travel bit was a load of c..p.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by cp33:
James, I hope you have a first post ready for this story within the month because you have peaked my interest.

My beautiful and beloved live-in beta reader is working with the first draft right now.

She's may be petite, but man, she can pack a wallup with that marking pen of her's!

Originally posted by kmar:
Just kill Tempus off and be done with him. I hate his character and tend to skim stories that he is a lead character in. I always thought the time travel bit was a load of c..p.
AAAHHH!!! AAAHHH!!! AAAHHH!!! evil to my most favorite villian??? For shame!!!!!"

James

Merriwether
Merriwether
Ah, you guys crack me up.

I refer to my sig for this thread's topic.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmm. This is like discussing what came first, the chicken or the egg. Only worse. (I mean, if you cracked the egg to make an omelet, how could you ever have a club sandwich with it?)

Okay, maybe this is how it happened - insert picture of a club sandwich.... wink

[Linked Image]

It's a fun thread, that's for sure! smile

Ann

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Call me crazy, but I always thought that it worked like this:

Tempus and Wells traveling through time somehow upset the natural order of things.

The ship arrives early as a result.

Clark flies himself as a baby in the ship at night to attract the Kents' attention.

Things are set right again.

Clark and Lois are deposited back into their own time BEFORE Wells and Tempus can take them back in time.

Thereby making it impossible for them to have ever altered the history to begin with, since now they've never actually time traveled.

(Sort of makes the whole story pointless, but at least it was great fun to watch).

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard