Next Thread
Print Thread
#237757 01/03/08 06:27 PM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I downloaded some of the audio-fics from the archive and suddenly got this idea:

Why not a male voice read out the male dialogs and female voice read out the female dialogs? And the narration can be done by either the man or the woman.

But then there's the problem of both the FoLC's necessity to be present for the recording etc. etc. for which I offered two solutions:

a) The FoLCs can record their parts separately and then merge using the various effective softwares (like SoundForge)
b) Ask our spouse/fiance/lover to read the other part. (Hey, don't they owe us?)

I don't know how far this can be realized or whether it will even sound good, but it was just an idea!

Please vote! And don't be mad at me if you don't like anything in this poll! laugh

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#237758 01/04/08 10:36 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Although I think using two voices can be effectively done, I hate to say that it should be required. I've "read" too many books-on-tape where the actor did an excellent job. I have noticed, however, that most of the books-on-tape I've read have been voiced over by men. Perhaps it sounds better for the men to read both sexes parts by using a lighter voice for ladies than it would be for a woman to try a gruffer voice for men.

Elisabeth

#237759 01/06/08 07:54 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I listen to many books on tape while I travel for work and I can say that the change in voices often pulls me out of the story.

There is a rhythm that flows when a single reader is telling the story. I am much more likely to listen to a man read rather than a woman, but since the ratio of male to female is pretty low I don't see a ton of men jumping in to read fanfic.

All that said I would listen to a story read if I liked the story and the reader has a pleasant voice.

#237760 01/06/08 09:17 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
cp33 sums it up for me. It would just be a distraction from the story for me.

OTOH, the Audiofic idea seems to have died a death anyway. wink After an initial burst of enthusiasm, we haven't had a volunteer read a story or uploaded an audiofic to the Archive in months.

So...any port in a storm. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237761 01/06/08 04:25 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I just listened to one of Wendy's stories on audio fic and the thought of recording someone's words and doing them justice seems like a daunting task.

I can't imagine doing a job good enough to enhance an author's words.

#237762 01/11/08 10:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
OTOH, the Audiofic idea seems to have died a death anyway. After an initial burst of enthusiasm, we haven't had a volunteer read a story or uploaded an audiofic to the Archive in months.
Oh, I'm definitely going to be doing some audiofic-ing sometime in the somewhat-near future, Labby! laugh I just need to get back into the swing of things (not to mention, finish my WIP) first.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard