Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237550 06/12/07 12:21 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just curious as to what the average connection speed is on this board - we seem to be going to a lot of trouble to keep things as streamlined as possible. On general principle that's a good idea, but it might be a little unnecessary if everyone now has broadband or something.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#237551 06/12/07 12:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can't vote on this poll because, although my connection's 5MB, it's not cable, it's ASDL...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#237552 06/12/07 01:31 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have cable and it ranges from 6-12Mbps, roughly, depending on the phase of the moon. wink

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#237553 06/12/07 03:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is there an "I don't have the internet" option? <g>

JD
who regularly runs around her apartment complex, laptop in hand, trying to pick up something from the neighbors

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#237554 06/12/07 05:45 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Wendymr:
I can't vote on this poll because, although my connection's 5MB, it's not cable, it's ASDL...

Wendy smile
So tick the 4-6Mb box - I'm really more interested in connection speed than the precise details of how you connect. smile

It belatedly occurs to me that people with really slow connections may not want to stay on line to look at these boards, so this may not be a fair test.

Marcus L. Rowland
#237555 06/12/07 05:47 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Shadow:

JD
who regularly runs around her apartment complex, laptop in hand, trying to pick up something from the neighbors
Believe it or not I was going to include it, but I didn't think anyone without the internet would see this board...

Maybe go for the "connection speed unknown" vote?

Marcus L. Rowland
#237556 06/12/07 09:45 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Shadow:

JD
This is so funny. jump

Anyway, I think that my connection at home is 1 Mb. At least that's what I remember ordering. wink

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237557 06/12/07 10:21 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
we seem to be going to a lot of trouble to keep things as streamlined as possible. On general principle that's a good idea, but it might be a little unnecessary if everyone now has broadband or something.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this, Marcus. What is a lot of trouble? Is your question connected to KatieKate's question in this thread? If so, as you can see, connection speed is only one of a number of reasons why we do it this way.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237558 06/12/07 11:51 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
My option isn't there. I have cable 100Mbps.

Tricia cool

#237559 06/13/07 07:25 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by LabRat:
we seem to be going to a lot of trouble to keep things as streamlined as possible. On general principle that's a good idea, but it might be a little unnecessary if everyone now has broadband or something.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this, Marcus. What is a lot of trouble? Is your question connected to KatieKate's question in this thread? If so, as you can see, connection speed is only one of a number of reasons why we do it this way.

LabRat smile
Yes, that and running the archive on plain text files were the main things I was thinking of. But I think it's an interesting question anyway. Look at the answers, then remember the speeds Lois and Clark would have been using in their homes and at work ten years ago...

Marcus L. Rowland
#237560 06/13/07 08:26 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I have no idea about fibre or cable or satellite whatever.
But I have 23MB - that's all I know (and all I have to know since I have a technic nerd at hand laugh )

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#237561 06/13/07 10:41 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I ticked the 6-10 Mb box, which I think is the right connection speed.

However, I would like to point out that I only recently got broadband, and there are still plenty of places around here where people can't get a broadband connection, mostly because of the distance they live from an appropriate telephone exchange. And cable is completely unknown in this part of the world.

Okay, so I chose to live in the nearside of the back of beyond, and I personally think the trades off are more than worth it... but I still sometimes find it surprising how many things we don't have that people living in other places take for granted (digital terrestrial TV, digital radio, mobile phone reception, analogue TV reception...)

Chris

#237562 06/13/07 10:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lean and fast is always best, as far as I'm concerned. I bought broadband so that I could get to the actual data as fast as possible, and I'd rather not have it slowed back down by fluffy graphics, music and other extraneous fripperies. laugh

#237563 06/17/07 07:51 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I'm still using dial up. I refuse to get Comcast cable. I have a few complaints with them where I live. But mainly is just gripes me that for a year they will give it to you for $33/month but after that raise the price. Not a general across the board price increase--just a now that we got you hooked to the speed we what the higher price. Forget them. If I sign up for $33/month I want the price for forever with modest price increase due to inflation. Otherwise keep it.

So I guess when I have my office moved around in my house I'll get DSL. Not having used it I'm not really sure the difference in speed between Dial-up, DSL and cable. I've used the cable at my brothers house and it is fast. But I figure DSL has got to seem fast to me after using Dial-up. I know with using the dial-up that I sometimes want to download free or trial versions of programs but can't because it is going to take so long - like 2 hours on dial up at 56k.

#237564 06/19/07 11:23 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I chose 6-10. I think we used to have 5Mbps, but now we're up to 8. Ah, if only TimeWarner could go faster!

However, I'm a very simple person. I don't like things bogging down my web pages. I'm still in a 33.6 mindset. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#237565 06/20/07 10:25 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Since I'm lazy AND impatient, I bought the fastest net connection I could.

Of course, this means I can't afford the good TV channels... lesigh!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#237566 06/20/07 11:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

JD
That is sooo funny! Actually we could get Wi-Fi from some unknown neighbor for quite a while. I guess he figured he should password protect his site, because we can't anymore. Anyway, we're DSL, but not cable, and wi-fi in the house. We run around in cities looking for wi-fi when we travel! Amazingly, the cheaper Marriotts give you DSL included in the price of the room, but the upscale Marriott's charge you for it! huh
We're happy with the speed and being able to see the trailers/movies.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#237567 08/19/07 11:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm not really sure where I can find this.

The only thing I could find was LAN (which is intranet, right? sad - yes, I'm a noob) and it said 1 gig/sec and that seemed just a little bit unrealistic to me... :rolleyes:

Edit: never mind, I found a test site sort of thingy on the internet.

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#237568 08/14/08 05:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have no idea.

The "speed" on mine says 100.0 Mbps.

I asked my hubby and he said to select Cable (6-10mb).

If we're wrong, let me know smile

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard