Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
My question is this: Do you think you still would have bought the series on DVD if we didn't have such an awesome fandom with such great talent?

I don't think I would have (as much as I LOVE the show) if not for fanfic. This fandom has just added fuel to the fire, so to speak. I was just curious to see what other people's opinions were.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Columnist
Columnist
I would definitely have bought the series on DVD if there woudn't have been fanfic!!

I know because when I bought the DVD's, I didn't know there where such great fanfic stories and MB etc. blush blush

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Columnist
Columnist
Heck, I'm here because I bought the DVDs. Though I've always considered it my favorite show, I hadn't really searched out other fans until I bought the DVDs and got really in to it. So glad I did!

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Kerth
Kerth
I guess I would have bought them anyway, but I'm not absolutely sure. And since my first season DVD and finding the archive went hand in hand for me, I can't say anymore which way it went. Did I buy the DVD because of the fanfics? Did I start reading fanfics because of the DVDs? I guess it went both ways.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Definetly would have bought it... one of my favorite series. Heck, I'm still waiting for them to come out with the Scarecrow and Mrs. King DVDs and I couldn't even tell you if they have a fandom! (and that show's even older!) smile

Jo

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I liked the show when it was on reruns, but I never would have bought the DVDs if not for fanfic. Even now I consider them mainly background for the great stories that I read!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I chose "definitely" because I bought season 1 before I found the fandom. It was while I was on pins and needles waiting for season 2 (and the proposal <drool>) that I began hunting on the internet for stuff about Lois and Clark and I stumbled across this fandom. I feel so fortunate! Before that happened, I used to write stories purely for the joy of writing them. Now I get to write them and post them for other people to read... and read some really great stories by other people. Yay!

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Kerth
Kerth
I had the show earmarked on tvshowsondvd.com for *years*, waiting for them to notify me that it was out on DVD. I bought the first and second seasons the moment they came out. Then, feeling all WAFFy (although I didn't know that was the word for it at the time), I started rethinking/remembering the stories I had composed in my head back when the show was on the air. And then I started wondering if there was already fanfic for the show out there. It seemed like, years before, I had stumbled across a story or two but since I was so heavily involved in another fandom I hadn't really read much.

I was delighted to find that not only were there fanfic stories, but the fandom was still very much alive.

One caveat - I would never have bought season four if I hadn't been so heavily involved in fanfic.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
goofy

Actually I never bought the DVDs *because* of the fanfic. It eventually ruined me. I loved the show. I never missed an episode when it was on the air. But as soon as the show hit reruns, I started reading the fanfic and talking to fans. And I realized that we've (using that term loosely ROFL) really untwisted the heck out of some ridiculous plots over the years.

I might buy the DVDs some day. The music videos have been reminding me of all the classic scenes. But there are other TV shows I want to conquer off of Amazon first.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've bought the DVDs because of the fanfictions. I've always loved the show and I've watched every episode the first time it was shown on TV. Then I kind of forgot it and only years later I stumbled over lcfanfic.com, read some stories and thought, that I no longer could live without having the show on DVD. Because after I've read some stories I really had some problems with remembering what acutally had happened on the show and what was only fanfic confused laugh

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm... a very hard question! I'm almost certain I would have bought the DVDs without the fandom, but I can't be 100% sure. The fandom and fanfic is what's kept my love for the show alive, even after all these years.

I've also bought DVDs of show I liked less and where I haven't that been involved in the fandoms, so it's not really a criteria of mine.

So my answer is 'definitely', but with a little bit of uncertainty. thumbsup

Greets,

~ An ~
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
*snicker* Well, I agree with Jessi, JD, and Sue S. I had loved the series, but only saw the first three seasons (had a baby just before the fourth and just never could get my act together to watch TV), so I bought the first season and went mad waiting for the second. Found some fics on FF.net, saw Wendy's note about the archive, and came searching. Then season two came out, I watched everything twice, and started reading fics about those episodes. Now I think that the DVDs are a nice suppliment to the fics. I say that because I'd rather read a fic than force my way through the ARGH, which I STILL haven't done, so I still haven't seen season four (tho I do have the DVDs). Honestly, I'm really tempted to start all over at the pilot and try to get up enough momentum to blast through the dog-gone wedding/clone arc. dance
mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
Top Banana
Top Banana
My journey to the Lois and Clark fandom was pretty... random, actually. I saw Superman Returns last year in theaters and I really, really, liked it. I went on a mini Superman kick, writing SR fanfic and such... I was at Target one day with my brother and I noticed season 3 of Lois and Clark. The tag mistakenly said 20 dollars and I thought that was a fantastic price for any season of a show. So I grabbed the DVD (kind of wary) and went to check out. Apparently it had been mislabeled and rang up at 40 dollars. I didn't feel like making a scene, and besides, I had geared myself up for watching a new series, so I bought it anyway, hoping I'd like it! So I came home and watched season 3 over the next few weeks. In the middle of it, I began looking for the other seasons. I found season 1 next, and then finally season 2. By that time I was absolutely in love with the show. I discovered the fandom somewhere... around my watching of season 2. (Though I had already seen 3!) Anyway, I was so excited for season 4 to come out I ran out and bought it the minute it came out. I know people say that it's the worst season, but I actually enjoyed it. It might be my second favorite. I just like seeing them finally together. Anyway, that's my journey to the Lois and Clark fandom. All because of a mislabeled price tag at Target! clap

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Blogger
Blogger
Honestly, I didn't get into the fandom until a few years ago, but I'd always been a HUGE fan. For some reason, it never occurred to me to look much into L&C fanfic or anything like that even though I'd done so for a previous show. I guess since people I knew really didn't like the show as much as I did, I assumed that I was in a minority.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered so much dedication to this fandom! My first experience was with the Seasons 5 and 6 continuations on Pam's site; I'm pretty sure I found them as they were being written, but I can't remember. But even after that, the fandom kind of dropped off my radar. I rediscovered it about two years ago and I've been hooked ever since!

But to get back to the original question, I definitely would have bought the DVDs without being a huge part of the fandom. L&C has always been (and will always be) my all-time favorite TV show ever.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Honestly, I have no idea confused blush
I like to believe in the butterly effect so maybe, if the fandom hadn't existed, the whole world would have exploded and there would've been no DVDs to buy eek eek laugh

But if not, I probably would have bought em anyway.. Boy do I love L&C! blush

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Kerth
Kerth
My feeling is that if you write fanfic you really ought to be familiar with the series, and while I caught them when originally shown in Britain I never recorded them. So I wanted to watch them again, and the DVDs have simply been the best way to do so.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Definitely yes. I've been waiting for them to come out forever.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I bought the first season on DVD before I found out there were others like me. laugh So yes. I woulda! BWAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I definitely would have bought the dvds regardless because... I never watched it when it originally aired. My parents had a no soapie rule in the house. sad

The only soap I ever saw was MASH reruns because I had to tape them while the parents were still at work.

The rule was lifted around 2000 I think. Too late for l&c.

The only reason I even knew the series existed was that my brother taped something and let it run and he ended up with Contact and Ultrawoman on the end of whatever he was taping.

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Yes I would have! L&C was always a favourite of mine and I was watching really bad recordings of the third season or at least what was left of them that I could watch so I would have bought it regardless. However, if it wasn't for the fandom I wouldn't have been able to find out that I was able to get it earlier since I was lucky a store here could import the region 1 editions for me.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard