Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237306 03/16/07 08:41 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Like many others, I thoroughly enjoyed our Tuesday chat on IRC, but I have to admit that it isn't the most ideal of days. How about you?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237307 03/16/07 08:43 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
As for answering my own questions: I'd like a weekly chat, but could manage about twice a week, too. (More, and I would get addicted.)

The best day for me is definitely Saturday, but I should be able to get in on other days as well.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237308 03/16/07 09:09 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
For me every day would be ok wink

#237309 03/16/07 11:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One a week would be cool, I could make time for it. smile Any day is OK, so long as it's a set day as opposed to a random one, cause then I will always forget.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#237310 03/16/07 03:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The only problem with making a set day and time is that we come from all over the world. I know that last chat that was Tuesday night for you guys was Wednesday morning for me, 9-11am. There was no way I could participate while I was at work. frown

But I would love to join a chat once a week.

Sam

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
#237311 03/16/07 10:47 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For me, friday/saturday would be the best time; because of the different time zones most chats would be around 11 pm - 2 am for me, and that's a little late for a week day..

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#237312 03/17/07 01:25 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The only problem with making a set day and time is that we come from all over the world.
There's absolutely no need for a set day to be permanent. It will be necessary in the short term, but really I think the important thing is setting a time schedule. Day and frequency should then become more or less irrelevant.

Once people get into the habit of knowing the hours that suit most, then they'll also get into the habit of popping in on whatever day, as often as suits them. So long as they stick to the time schedule they should increasingly find that there's someone there at that time to chat with.

Back in the day, we never had a set time or day to chat on in #loisclark. We just knew the time that most people would be around on any given day was such and such and popped in to join the core crowd as and when suited us.

So things should progress back to that state in the future...it'll just take a little time for the habit to take, first. So we need to be a little more structured and advance-planned than normal for the moment until it does and then loosen up later on.

Chatting has always been a problem for those in Australia and Canada. Unfortunately, no matter which day or time you choose to chat, the time differences mean you're never going to be able to fit everyone in. Someone is always going to be living in an awkward time zone that cuts them out.

But I recall that there was a small group who didn't get the chance to chat in the evenings because of time differences who chatted instead on Sunday mornings (UK times). Around 11 a.m. IIRC.

I think there are enough of you from that time zone to set up your own chat schedule - and Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. (or Saturdays, I guess) isn't an insurmountable time for those of us in the UK either, so some of us might join you there. smile It's not ideal, but it's a reasonable compromise, I think, given the obstacles of the time differences.

There's also absolutely no reason why the 'whole' chat group should also have to be on channel at the same time. For example, 8 of you so far have voted that Friday night is the most convenient time for you. There's no reason at all why the 8 of you can't head for #loisclark on a Friday and chat! You don't have to wait for the rest of us. laugh Or why 4 of you who like chatting on Tuesday can't do that, either. There's no reason why someone can't pop in for half an hour and chat, then leave. You don't have to be there all evening, or for hours. Pop in and out of channel as suits you. It's entirely flexible.

The main thing, as I say, is to find the time schedule that means that when you pop into the channel you can be reasonably sure of finding others there to chat with and won't be on your own. Once we hit that and people get to know when that will be...when, for how long and how often you spend time there is entirely up to you.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237313 03/18/07 06:56 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ok, so what about this:

Tuesday (US)
London: 4 am wednesday
Chicago: 10 pm
LA: 8 pm
Sydney: 2 pm wednesday
(not considering summer time etc.)

Saturday (Europe/US)
London: 8 pm
Chicago: 2 pm
LA: 11 am
Sydney: 6 am sunday

Sunday (Europe/Australia)
London: 11 am
Chicago: 5 am
LA: 3 am
Sydney: 9 pm

You can edit these / add more times, but I thought I'd just make a start..

Not sure if all the times are correct though confused

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#237314 03/18/07 05:13 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Until recently I was on IRC every week day. Work has been a killer these days and I haven't had a chance to sit down at my desk and relax for even a moment.

Our division is switching over to an Agile process (I do software development) and our team has essentially been designated the guinea pig. If we succeed, we'll be held out as the proof of concept, something the higher ups really want. So we've been under the gun for the last several months now. On top of that Wal-mart, one of our larger customers, put product demands on our team at the very same time. So going Agile while at the same time you have deadlines imposed on you essentially means we don't even get to sleep on our own time.

So in terms of chat, I chose pretty much every weekday since that was my usual practice. One of these days I'd like to get back to that. Maybe by August things will settle down?

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#237315 03/19/07 05:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The beginning of the week is usually too busy for me, but I said I'd just like to chat "more often."

As for days, Wednesday and Friday evenings and different times on Saturday are best for me.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#237316 03/30/07 05:51 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I usually have time after work until late in the evening, but I'm never sure when everyone is on. Hmmm... And its been quiet there lately, too. Or is it just the times I've been going?

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#237317 03/31/07 08:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Dunno. What time have you been going? laugh

We've had a nice little crowd in on Tuesday nights - although I had to miss last week's, so not sure who was in then.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard