Print Thread
#237285 02/25/07 09:27 AM
K
Kaylle Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
K
I feel like we must have discussed this before, but I can't find a poll about it, so here I am.

Did Perry know about Clark? After all, he didn't become editor of a major newspaper because he can yodel. And Clark wasn't always as good at coming up with excuses as he might have hoped. But Perry never gives any outward sign that he knows. So what do we think?

And, if he did know, how long has he known? When did he figure it out?

Edited to add: I realized too late that there's no "I don't know" option for the second question; in that case I guess just vote "I voted no."

#237286 02/25/07 10:38 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I think that Perry knew for sure. He got the first big hint in season one (or was it the pilot even?) when Clark claims to go after Lois and Perry finds him in the closet in front of an open window afterward. Add the flimsy excuses and Clark's unusual behaviour during the heat wave, and voilĂ ! CK=S

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237287 02/25/07 11:24 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, good poll, Kaylle!

I voted 'maybe', but I lean towards the view that Perry knows... and probably figured things out very early on. Certainly, I think his knowing is in keeping with his character. Plus, his knowing also explains why Perry allows Clark to disappear at regular intervals and with such flimsy excuses. What boss would allow that kind of behaviour otherwise?

The trouble with Perry knowing, and figuring things out early on, though, is that it makes Lois's ignorance that much harder to understand. She works much more closely with Clark than Perry and has had so many more clues... and it takes her two years to figure things out! Doesn't Perry figuring things out before Lois make Lois seem 'galactically stupid'?

For that reason, I think both of them being oblivious works better for the overall workings of the show and that is probably where my doubts about Perry knowing come from.

As a (currently resting) fanfic writer, though, I will go with whatever Perry scenario works best for a story. smile

Chris

#237288 02/25/07 11:43 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I voted 'maybe'. I don't remember any specific examples right now, but it seemed like there were a few things he said in Season 4 that gave me the impression he was totally clueless.

Wouldn't be the first time he misjudged someone. He was friends with Bill Church, after all. Not that that's quite the same thing.

But I don't know, that's just my outlook on things. huh It could go either way, really.

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#237289 03/02/07 07:25 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted yes, and said season four, but I'm thinking I should have said season three.

Why? Well, sure, he could've known from the Pilot, but I think it wouldn't really have clicked until he saw Lois covering for Clark too--that Clark had to go away for some reason, and Lois was willingly making excuses for him had to mean that what Clark was doing when he left suddenly was really important. And how much more important can you get than saving people?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#237290 03/04/07 02:44 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I voted maybe because I tought yes but I just wasn't sure. Because he never made it to obvious that he knew. But if he did knew I think he found out at the end of big girls don't fly, because lois was really crying a lot. Clark's parent's where there, and clark wasn't. so.... :p

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#237291 03/19/07 12:44 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
He looked out of the window and saw Clark stopping the bus. And put two and two together later. He wasn't going to say anything because he knew Clark had a reason to keep it a secret. And he must have been hoping Lois didn't get it initially till she got to know Clark well enough to not expose him otherwise he would have had no choice but to run the story once she wrote it up and handed it to him.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
#237292 03/19/07 02:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nah, I don't think Perry knew a thing. I like seeing that scenario in fanfic sometimes, but on the show? Nope. Yeah, there were a lot of clues flying around (so to speak goofy ) but Perry was drinking the same water as the rest of Metropolis (and Smallville!) and never figured out a thing.

Plus I really don't like the idea that Perry would put it together when Lois was still clueless. Really, really don't like it. So in my little universe, it never happens that way laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#237293 03/24/07 11:49 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yeah, there were a lot of clues flying around (so to speak goofy )
Lmao, that one really cracked me up, Pam! rotflol Why do I keep having to remind myself that I should not drink or eat anything while checking the boards? I know I'll spill it anyway, whether it be the Motivational Poster thread or just a good joke.. wink

Well, anyways, I was watching Faster Than A Speeding Vixen today, and you know when Supes finds himself a mate (as Leslie Luckabee puts it), Perry seems genuinly happy for him, even though Lois makes a slipper about Superman never cheating on his.. ehm.. morals. So I really do not think he knows. smile

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#237294 03/30/07 05:46 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'd say as early as season two, but I think he knew by season three, at least.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#237295 07/25/13 01:06 AM
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Yes Perry knew, probably from the beginning; else he would have fired Clark for disappearing so often

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard