Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I am most likely wrong, but I thought these boards were for sharing fan "stories", rather than a writers' forum per se. Writers' forums would indeed criticize must severely. And any writer worth their salt would want and need that. The criticism here fouces on characterization rather than style and technique, important elements, but the characters had better be right.
I know the remarks here can be a little sugary at times but I think the point is to encouage folk to express their creativity and to take a chance in a friendy , non threating atmosphere.Harsh crit can shut a person down and nobody wants that. ( A little late, but just some thoughts)

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great job, I enjoyed this a lot David and I'm looking forward to more!

Keep writing! thumbsup

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Blogger
Blogger
I love this story!!

Eagerly awaiting the sequel!!

Clark: I have loved you from the beginning.
Lois: And I'll love you till the end.

My 4 Year Old Cousin: "Why is Superman wearing glasses?"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by David0411:
<strong>I hope everybody realises that the sequel will have to wait - the next story I write will be for the Fundraiser DVD... unless I decided to be lazy and submit the sequel for the Fundraiser wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy armed with shears...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wow. I absolutely love your writing style. I think I was hold my breathe during every part of this story. Spectacular!

Melisa

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! Ok I panicked yesterday! But I couldn't help but read the end<g> Very good save David! A sequil sounds great! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Now I haven't posted here in a long time but I this story has me wanting to say something. I was wonderfully joyed the moment I started to read it.

I loved it! Completely awed by it!

Your experiment worked as far as I am concerned because any other way wouldn't have achieved the same outcome. It is a hard way to write-tried it and can't say I would do it a lot but it is a challenge and I commend you for doing it! smile1

"With words one can escape reality..."
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Oh, wow. I loved the first three parts, and I adore the end.
phew!

I mean... I knew you would, how could you not? It's a brilliant end wink

Wow. Speechless. Lost for words. Gasping in appreciation.
Ditto!

(who will now nag and nag David until said sequel is written and posted! )
Bugger wink

FREAKING AWESOME!!!
Thanks TJ laugh

There, deleted it, happy???
Because it's been bugging me :p

See? I do know *some* grammar...

And...

Actually, I would want people telling me everything that was wrong.
It's now justified.

Two thumbs up for unanswered questions. Even without the sequel, this piece stands just fine on its own.
No sequel, eh?

Now there's an idea! wink

LOVE it D!
Thanks Jackie smile

There was actually a point in which I almost believed Clark would die in the story.
That's made my night... laugh

Well, that would definitely guarantee some donations...or some wildguy armed with shears...
Really now, what is it with this fandom and shears?

Wow. I absolutely love your writing style.
Thank you! smile

I think I was hold my breathe during every part of this story.
Good thing it was short! wink

Yay! Ok I panicked yesterday! But I couldn't help but read the end<g> Very good save David!
I'm glad you decided to come back smile

I loved it! Completely awed by it!
Wow, thank you! smile

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Ok, I'm late but I finally got the chance to read the last two parts and I have to say they were GREAT!! You totally had me going there. I thought Luthor was going to kill Clark and then maybe kidnap Lois. I'm so happy I got to read both parts together. Great job! I totally loved it!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm coming in a little late, too, since I wanted to be able to read the last three parts all at once, as I'm inclined to do. (It's the immersion thing, combined with the bus thing ...)

And ... well, my feedback on part 1 still applies.

No sugar coating, no lying, no exaggerating. I'm not even around these parts enough anymore to have any reason to do any of that stuff. I just plain loved this story. Was impressed by this story. By the experimental style and how much power the structure had. My hat is off to you, David.

I've been reading (and writing) fanfic for nearly 10 years now. I've read hundreds of stories -- actually, probably thousands of stories, if you consider the volume of fics on the Archive plus all the nfics, not to mention all the fic I've read for other shows -- over those 10 years. And I think I have a pretty good eye for talent. I know when a story needs polishing, when a writer is a good story-teller, but has trouble with the mechanics. And I adjust my feedback accordingly.

I don't need to adjust anything with you, David.

This was just flat out excellent. A different style, yes, but one that I found fascinating and creative and very well done. And I'm very glad I got a chance to read it. smile

Kathy

R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
Incredible story. And yes the loose ends - like Lex knowing everything about Clark/Superman and can Clark even fully recover after all this exposure to kryptonite. So many things still to tell in a sequel.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
David

Sorry I'm late here. I've just read the last two parts. smile1 I love it.

Tricia cool

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
There's no such thing as 'late' - everybody else is just early!

You totally had me going there. I thought Luthor was going to kill Clark and then maybe kidnap Lois.
Is it wrong that I love hearing that? wink

I'm glad you liked it, Jackie smile

This was just flat out excellent. A different style, yes, but one that I found fascinating and creative and very well done. And I'm very glad I got a chance to read it.
Thanks Kathy! smile

I'm stoked you liked it. Flat out excellent? Wow!

And yes the loose ends - like Lex knowing everything about Clark/Superman and can Clark even fully recover after all this exposure to kryptonite.
Maybe I could answer the questions here!

Lex tries to expose Clark as Superman, but since he isn't as pretty as Diana Stride, nobody believes him and he gets to spend a lot of time medicated and modelling straight jackets in a very high class mental ward.

St John takes over as head of the criminal underworld and things proceed as per normal.

Lois realises her mother isn't all that bad and when she gets frustrated trying to remove the blood stains from her polished floors, she decides to just move in with Ellen. She decides to take her mother's advice and never trust men again. Oh, and she doesn't cut her hair.

Clark never fully recovers from his exposure to Kryptonite, though his speed and agility remain above average for humans, he's far from super. Unable to find work, with his novel stagnant, and horribly lonely, Clark joins a travelling circus. He has many adventures with his travelling circus and cheerful Ring-Master, but that, my friends is a story for another day...

... Or you know what? Maybe I'll just write that sequel.

Dave (who *really* needs to sleep :p )

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
P.S.

The ending is perfect. You have me desperately wanting to read the sequel.

Congratulations on an excellent story. smile1 I love it.
Thanks Tricia! laugh

(Did you get time to sit down over the holidays, eh?) wink

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
He wasn’t Clark. He wasn’t Superman. He was both and yet… neither. And she loved him anyway.
This is so amazing! You say EVERYTHING and in so few words! smile1

~Nicole

R
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
R
David, whether you write a sequel to this particular story I absolutely want more stories.

The characterization is what I loved - and especially the Lex/Lois and Lex/Superman stuff in the final chapter.

Its about Lois and Clark but too often the characters Lex and Clark and the nexus between them is forgotten. You have not done that. Thank you.

One of the best Superman/Superboy stories I've seen/read is from the old Superboy TV series where Lex and Superboy are trapped in a mine. Both slowly dying, the epsisode was a long study of each as he relates to the other and what drives that relationship.

As with your story it was the focus on characterization that made it great.

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
This is so amazing! You say EVERYTHING and in so few words!
Thanks. wink

The characterization is what I loved - and especially the Lex/Lois and Lex/Superman stuff in the final chapter.
Thanks Randi laugh

You've made me feel a whole lot better about all those times I bugged my poor BRs with a: "But would they really say that?!"

Its about Lois and Clark but too often the characters Lex and Clark and the nexus between them is forgotten. You have not done that. Thank you.
You're very welcome! (I'll pretend that it was done intentionally. Shh.)

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment smile

Dave

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Top Banana
Top Banana
A really long time ago, David, you said:
Here's hoping you truly meant it, because it's been weeks and weeks since Clark escaped the cage and fell through Lois's door, broken and hurt and wearing the cape.

That image was so great, so vivid and shocking, I didn't see how I'd be able to wait until part 2.

(There's a kind of irony here, in that it took me until today to read parts 2-4 of this incredibly fast-paced, doesn't give you a minute to breathe, fic. I totally see that.)

In a word, finally, as tardy as I am: wonderful.

This is completely different, original, refreshing, smart, so skillfully rendered. It feels like... watching something under strobe lighting... if that makes a bit of sense. The way the lights flicker off and on so fast your eyes can't follow fluid movement, but see the quick cuts instead.

That's how this reads. And that's what makes this so memorable. There is no time to slow down, the events just happen and keep happening, and the way you crafted the tension by chopping up the words and sentences into images and fractured thoughts is just... ok, I've used 'wonderful'... um... really excellent.

Thank you for such a great read!

Now... how's that sequel coming along?

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by CC Aiken:
A really long time ago, David, you said:
Here's hoping you truly meant it, because it's been weeks and weeks since Clark escaped the cage and fell through Lois's door, broken and hurt and wearing the cape.
Of course I meant that.

I'm amazed and grateful and... amazed that you'd leave fdk after so long. Did I mention that I'm amazed? Add 'touched' in there too. Because... wow. Thank you for taking the time after this long. smile

In a word, finally, as tardy as I am: wonderful.
In a word: ... Ok, after reading this story you probably wouldn't believe I can't reply in a word, but... I can't. I'm just... amazed. And very glad you enjoyed it. smile

This is completely different, original, refreshing, smart, so skilfully rendered. It feels like... watching something under strobe lighting... if that makes a bit of sense. The way the lights flicker off and on so fast your eyes can't follow fluid movement, but see the quick cuts instead.
I'm not quite sure that' a compliment, since I get images of my high school science teacher running around espousing the wonders of strobe lighting and parabolic motion, flitting around in my head, but... I *am* going to take it as one, so, thank you. smile

That's how this reads. And that's what makes this so memorable. There is no time to slow down, the events just happen and keep happening, and the way you crafted the tension by chopping up the words and sentences into images and fractured thoughts is just... ok, I've used 'wonderful'... um... really excellent.
Before I babble on... thanks. I'm very glad you enjoyed it. smile

Thank you for such a great read!

Now... how's that sequel coming along?

CC
Thank you for such great comments!

And... erm... that sequel. Well... the sequel, it seems, is being pushed back.

I wont make excuses, but... ok, I *will* make excuses.

There's the fundraiser story and the back up fundraiser story, in case I decide not to run with the first, the story I've wanted to start for a while, and the TOGOM adaptation someone might have strongly hinted at... And... and... I'll get right on it.

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard