Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#236793 11/29/06 05:09 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I picked other 'cause my job really wasn't listed. I'm a Customer Service Rep for a labware manufacturer. It's not really Sales because I don't have to convince anyone to buy our stuff. I just answer their questions and take the orders.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#236794 12/20/06 05:00 PM
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Hm. Well, I'm a little late in answering this poll, but I only just registered after lurking for 6 months. I chose other because I work in the oil & gas industry - have a geology degree, got out of school, decided that I really couldn't take the crap dished out to women geologists, and became a geotech. Basically, I find, compile, organize and present the data so the geologists can map and make cross-sections and hopefully find hydrocarbons. It's actually a very interesting job, and I do love it. However, I'm so busy that I have no time at work to read, which is a bummer. I get an hour or so in the evening when my husband is reading to our children. I did manage to make it through the archive in the six months, though!
Mouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
#236795 12/23/06 02:05 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, I wanted a geology degree, but all the jobs where in a different province so I decided not too. I'm sorry to hear that you faced some troubles. I wish I could go back into that.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#236796 01/04/07 05:42 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Interesting poll!!!

I picked IT.
I'm a full-time student (Computer Science) and I'm in the last part. I'll start my master thesis next month.

#236797 01/04/07 03:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I should have been IT, but I was told not to get a degree in computers and there wasn't much future in it!!!
Hah! I heard the same thing when I was in college….

Anita, head for Hollywood. There's an actress on a hit television series that 'desperately' needs your help.

Tank (who thinks that just because Teri's no longer our Lois Lane doesn't mean she can't look her best )
rotflol Cut that hair off!

My mum got mad at me and said quit wanting to collect degrees and just go all the way with something. My hubbie says don't go back to school for a while and just live and do some hobbies.
I had to laugh at this. I have an associate degree in nursing, but when it came to my bachelor’s, I kept bouncing around so much that I ended up with a non-descript ‘everything’ degree (or in other words, I couldn’t make up my mind).

There’s a lot of teachers here! I’m getting ready to start work as a substitute teacher.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#236798 01/04/07 03:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Classicalla:
I should have been IT, but I was told not to get a degree in computers and there wasn't much future in it!!!
Hah! I heard the same thing when I was in college….
Just had to laugh at this one! In my lecture class from the fall there were about 5 people with IT degrees in my graduate program (which is graphic design). Seems like they heard the same thing! We didn't have IT at my college, so I have no idea if it's a useful degree or not.

JD
(who's fine arts degree isn't spectacularly useful without a Master's)

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236799 01/05/07 04:01 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
*snicker* My freshman year of college, my father said I was spending so much time on the computer, I should change my major to computers. "No," I cried, "I want to be a teacher!" And that was refrain for the next year and a half if he ever brought up changing my major to computer science.

And now I'm close to a degree in computer science, and the teacher track is nowhere to be found. I should have listened to my dad...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#236800 03/30/07 05:56 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hmmm... Anyone else military?

At the moment, my job is to learn how to shoot the snot out of things with a side of technician. In about a year and a half, I plan on being a Civilian and a full time student. After that, I will hopefully make Pwetty Pictures on computers for a living =D But for now... yeah, shooting things. Sadly, I haven't been able to do much of that lately... =(

...I like shooting. Shooting makes me feel better!

Erm... should I add that I've only ever shot at little green men, those green pop up targets, and that's why I name every M16 I every get 'Mulder'?

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#236801 03/30/07 03:26 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I chose finance, but I'm in collections. Mind you not one of those EVIL personal collections workers. I go after businesses who should have BUDGETED AHEAD OF TIME TO PAY THEIR BILLS!!!

ARRRRRRGGGHHH!!!!! PAY YOUR BILLS, PAY YOUR FREAKING BILLS!!!!!

<pant pant pant>

Whew, I needed to say that so bad.

Thanks for your indulgence. thumbsup

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#236802 03/30/07 03:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have my degree in Sacred Music, and so, of course, am doing something that has nothing to do with that. goofy

I teach VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten) at a private Christian day school. VPK is a new, government funded, program in Florida that allows any child, regardless of family income, to attend preschool for free. There was such a big demand for it that it was opened up to private and religious centers as well as the public schools.

- Lauren

There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors. You know the thing you need most of
all? You need a hand to hold.
~10th Doctor
#236803 03/31/07 06:09 AM
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi!

I chose other, since I've been working at a Community College as a Library Assistant or Cataloger for over 25 years. I basically catalog the new materials into the library so everyone can check them out. Needless to say I enjoy reading very much, especially on these boards.

G. Kuhn
#236804 04/12/07 11:46 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I chose 'Sales' because I work in retail - at Borders bookstore.

I guess 'Sales' encompasses retail...

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#236805 04/13/07 01:44 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have a computer science degree but because I have never worked in the industry, I haven't been able to find work along those lines. *sigh* They all want at least five years industrial experience...

I work in the Wage Audit department of the Workers Compensation department of an Insurance company. I've spent my time making Access databases to analyse the data in the existing database (which uses LOTUSNOTES!!!)

LotusNotes is NOT the best place to put the database that covers the entire state. grumble

But the people who work there are nice. laugh

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
#236806 04/14/07 11:44 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I chose other. I work at a public library as a reference librarian. Basically, I help people find things they need in person and on the phone. I also do online reference on Friday nights.

I do a lot of looking up phone numbers because, apparently, people no longer know how to use phone books. razz

#236807 04/17/07 02:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, this has been interesting. I chose other because I'm retired and sit at my PC (sorry Mac people, I used to be one of you) and read fanfic. Or I do a bunch of graphic stuff for a women's group I've been part of for 36 years.
Before that I was a scientist and was sorely tempted to bump up that humble 3% number in this poll. I have a Bachelors in Physics from the University of California Riverside (hi groobie) and a Masters in Public Administration from Cal State Bakersfield.
My IT efforts were limited to programming in FORTRAN wink
What did I do with that? For 36 years I worked for the Department of the Navy (/me waves at Catherine {different service but still part of DOD}).
If I told you what I did, I'd have to shoot you. Which is one of my very all time favorite lines. Let's just say I hope I made a difference in my time at work and made life a little easier for the guys/gals at the "pointy end of the stick." In the process I also did a lot of what Yvonne does smile .
I keep trying to write fanfic rather than just read it (Nan is my hero hail ), but I have a hard time with my life of fun and leisure getting myself to work at anything.
The best advice I was given was "get your degree first and then figure out what you're going to do."
But don't get discouraged. My daughter just graduated university at the age of 43 and has a job she loves.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#236808 05/03/07 01:46 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. I didn't mean to kill this thread. Surely someone else has something to say. The other thing I do all day (since I don't really 'work') anymore is travel. I'm now in Flagstaff, Arizona after driving 8 hours from California. Tomorrow is Santa Fe, New Mexsico for a week. Travel is a lot of fun and also expensive, any way you do it. As you can see I have my laptop with me. Many hotels have wi-fi now.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#236809 05/03/07 06:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't worry, I'll chip in to the killing. Really, what I do all day is come up with idea after idea times at least 20 in my sketchbooks. I ignore at least 15 of them. Then I spend the next umpteen hours on the computer on layouts until I realize either a) I need to eat, b) it's dark (or possibly light) outside already? or c) I've gone crazy and I have to go out. Anywhere. But it's usually the coffee shop downtown so I can do research. Then I either go to bed or just can't fall asleep, and the exact same day starts all over again. In this respect, I'm so glad my schedule is 4 days a week of school next fall. Really, I do love what I do. I just happen to be a social person, and 5 free days a week glued to work in my quiet apartment is just an invitation to stir-crazy.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236810 05/03/07 06:20 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ha. I don't "work" per se. I like to think of myself as a professional student who teaches to pay the bills.

I teach one freshman intro to lit section a week (super light, I'm really lucky, but next year I have two). Then I go to three three hour seminars. The rest of my time is spent preparing for the classes and seminars, which just means globs and globs of reading.

Since I also work as an independent translator on the side, sometimes that takes up a large chunk of my time too.

My B.A. is in CompLit, so I haven't wandered too far from what I did in undergrad. I'm boring like that.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#236811 05/06/07 07:28 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I picked law because I work in a law office. Pretty much like Carry from the series `King of Queens` laugh

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#236812 05/06/07 08:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've choosen "other" because I'm a pretty boring office-worker: telephone, invoices and everything else that has to be don

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard