Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Ok, we've seen the posts about episode abbreviations and how some people get totally confused by them.

My question is, when you see an episode abbreviation, do you (in your head as you read, of course) spell it out, or read the abbreviation like it's a word?

For instance, do you say to yourself "T-O-G-O-M," or make "TOGOM" a word? Does this practice differ depending on which episode is abbreviated?

OR, do you just say the whole name of the episode to yourself when you read the abbreviation? Like, if it says "TOGOM," do you automatically insert, "That Old Gang of Mine" in your head?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I usually read TOGOM as "tog-um," TEHI as "T-E-H-I," and GGGoH as "Green, Green Glow of Home." So for me, it depends.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think I have to go with you on this one, Darcy. I hadn't ever thought about it, but I tested out a few on your behalf <g> and found that I tend to read it as the full episode name.

One exception was that when I see AKAS, I read it as A-KAS. Perhaps that's because it makes a mental association in me with a UK organisation called ACAS, which mediates industrial disputes. laugh Who can tell? I think I probably read the full ep title...unless the acronymn forms a word that my brain recognises, then I read it as a word. Which probably only makes logical sense to me, really.

Yes, my mind is a weird and bizarre country and most days I don't have a map...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
depends on the episode... Actually, no, there's only one I can think of that I actually say as a word. TOGOM. The other ones, the title is expanded in my head automatically. wink And I don't think I've ever spelled any abreviations out...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I know there are a few I read as a word, but most I insert the full title for or in some cases (like TOGOM) I read as all the letters. Or just gloss over it and my brain understands it. I find when I read, tho, that my brain rarely sounds names out completely.

Julie

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted for making the abbreviation a word, although I'd add "usually". TOGOM, BatP (yes, I actually pronounce 'batp' in my head), HoL...

I only pronounce to myself the full name if it's an abbreviation I'm not very familiar with, but I know which one it corresponds to. For example, TEHI - I can't pronounce it as a word. If I don't know, I'll stare at it thinking, for example: 'AKAS, AKAS, AKAS...?' - all pronounced 'akass'.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There's only one that I seem to pronounce as a word, and that's BatP. Probably because of 'bat' :p . Otherwise, I say the initials, i.e. t-o-g-o-m.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
"TOGOM" - I just say 'Oh no, not that one again!!!' LOL

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There are some I pronounce -- WHALTTA (walt-ah), WIEAK (weak), HIWTHI (hiawatha). Others I spell out the acronym -- A-S-U, T-O-G-O-M, G-G-G-O-H, O-P. Don't know why, really, except that, in my head, some of them sound stupid if I try to pronounce them laugh And then there's stuff like Contact, Phoenix, The Dad Who Came In From the Cold (if anyone can pronounce an acronym of that, I'd like to hear it!), SuperMann. I usually say AKAS as in "aka - S" with a tiny pause in there.

So, um... depends on the episode title and how often I'm likely to refer to it <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
HIWTHI (hiawatha)
I thought I was the only one who did that. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard