Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236635 09/25/06 12:05 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Guys wave

Obviously, at the boards, there's lots of stories going on. Unfortunately not everybody has time to read them all, so my question is...

What's a good way of catching the attention of a reader to a specific story?

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#236636 09/25/06 02:31 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I don't think I have to tell everyone that I'm a glutton when it comes to trailers (bring 'em on, people!!), but I think for me the biggest draw to a story is word of mouth. I do think written teasers would be a good idea, though. Kind of like archive blurbs? laugh

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#236637 09/25/06 02:57 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I need an option for 'all of the above'. <G>

Actually, I have to admit that these days, the thing that will hook me is reading the feedback folder and getting intrigued by the comments. I don't have time to follow most of the long stories at the moment, but that has made me go check out the odd vignette here and there.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#236638 09/25/06 03:13 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Usually trailers or the feedback folder. My reading time is limited (as opposed to just making the odd post like this), so I've been depending on the feedback folder to tell me if a story is something I might like.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236639 09/25/06 11:07 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I love trailers, and they *have* been able to tempt me into giving a shot at a story. The other methods, not so much.

The thing is, lately I've found myself in a not-in-the-mood-to-read state. It's been going for almost a year, actually frown I try to keep up with the short fics being posted (can't not read at all, that's me we're talking about!), though, so often just seeing how short a fic is is enough to make me read it. (Though I bet this is not what you wanted to hear...!)

Anyways - my vote goes to trailers.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: Oh, I forgot - and fanfic posters, too.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#236640 09/26/06 12:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like trailers very much, but not everyone is able to make them. With written teasers this is different, writing won't be a problem to anyone. And if all of the readers wait for the comments on the story, their won't be anyone reading it, finally.
I think that written teasers would be a very good idea.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#236641 09/26/06 12:30 AM
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
I voted for trailers, because that definitely attire my attention to a story I wouldn't have had time to read otherwise. Posters do the same for me as trailers.

But there is other things that draw my attention to a story. I often start to read a story just because I like the title or because I find the title intriguing. The title of a story do a lot for me.

Of course, that's not my only criterias to read a story, but they are the most important ones. I already started to read some stories because someone told me that was good on IRC or here, on the boards.

But I rarely read the fdk folders, except for the stories I write myself, or for the stories I'm already reading. But I almost never look the fdk folder for story that I don't already know, no matter if the title thread is good

The same with the written teaser. I rarely take a look, except if I'm planning to read the entire story because something (trailer, poster, title, or advice - or, I have to admit, if that's from an author I love wink ) already interested me.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard