Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236381 05/23/06 12:25 AM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hope the committee doesn't mind my posting this, but I'm kind of curious...

The DVD FDK threads ( fic vids and posters ) have been kind of low on traffic. It makes me wonder. About a few things, actually.

So, whether you have the DVD or not, please take a moment to vote. As always, if you have any thoughts to share, please post!

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I don't have a DVD player, so I haven't ordered the DVD. But I do want to contribute to the running of this site, so, one way or another, I'm planning to send money. If I get a DVD for my trouble I won't be able to play it.

I'll say this much.... I like to know a lot about books and stories before I buy them. So for me, buying a lot of stories that I know very little about isn't an ideal thing. (For example, I might wonder: Is there a deathfic included? Well, probably not. Are all the stories going to be extremely chaste and PG-rated? Probably. Isn't there a way I can sneak even the tiniest little peek at the ending of these stories? No, I didn't think so....)

So for me, this fundraiser DVD is more about supporting the site than it is about buying or reading stories.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So for me, this fundraiser DVD is more about supporting the site than it is about buying or reading stories.
I don't think you're at all unusual there, Ann. It's supposed to be all about supporting the websites and the hard work of those who maintain them for us so that we can enjoy the fandom. The DVD was always intended as a bonus to that. An extra rather than the reason for sending that cheque.

And, yes, you're right that the stories were intended to be fairly broad in category. We didn't put any restrictions on what the authors wrote about, but we did make a conscious decision that all stories should be within a PG13 rating and that there would be no nfic. In order to appeal to the widest possible readership.

I've been reading the fdk threads and being jealous so far. laugh Just waiting for mine to arrive and looking forward to it. jump

I'll be adding to the fdk thread, of course, soon as I've read/seen the contents.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Have DVD. laugh

Have no TIME -- talk to me after finals are over and graded, and I've turned in final grades, and am no longer a teacher. IOW, late June.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In the poll, I selected, "No. See, I really liked some stuff, but not others. I don't want to make anyone feel bad by leaving them out..." That isn't exactly true, but it's closer than the others. I enjoyed reading all of the stories, but I felt really excited about some of them and wanted to leave feedback. However, it seemed like too much trouble to write fdk for those that didn't get me charged up, and since I didn't want anyone to feel bad by leaving them out, I haven't responded to anyone's yet. I'll try to get started on it this week. Maybe if I post fdk for one story per day, it won't seem like such an overwhelming task.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sheila, I know you've solved this problem and are posting on the mbs (and that the point of this poll is specifically about posting on the threads here), but just in case anyone has the same problem - don't forget you can send fdk to the authors/vidders personally by email.

That way, if you're only intending to offer fdk to those stories/videos/whatever you like or feel you don't have time to give fdk to everyone, no one will know who you mail to, so no one can feel left out. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't think we'd be human if we didn't, as writers, scan the feedback threads looking for a mention of our story. That said, I think we're also grown-up to realise that not all stories are created equal. Some have the wow factor that makes a reader want to jump straight to the feedback thread and let the author know how great their story was. Others are more modest in their impact, and some won't appeal at all. That's just life.

So please don't feel obliged to make comments for every single story on the DVD. No-one can be expected to like them all. Remember, too, that comments don't just have to be full of glowing praise. If something in a story didn't work for you, say so. These message boards were originally conceived as a place where authors could get useful feedback on works-in-progress and thus help improve their craft. I, for one, would welcome a little friendly debate now and then. smile

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I will eventually donate. My schedules and my budget are sort of...volatile right now, what with this pesky real world business that I've joined. Is there a cut-off date to the fundraiser?

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. smile

A lot more people have yet to recieve their copies than I'd realized.

Just wanted to clarify something, though:

and that the point of this poll is specifically about posting on the threads here
I guess things were sort of centered around the threads. I meant to make a note about that. The poll isn't really about the threads. It's about FDK in general and what people think of the DVD.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sending private FDK. I don't mean to imply otherwise. There are advantages to public posting, but there's something to be said for private, too. You can always do both (which reminds me: there's some private FDK I've been meaning to send, too).

It's just that the threads are what's publically available. It's what I can see of the response, and what I know you can see, too.

The idea was to find out what people were thinking and, at the same time, to encourage FDK in general.

At the least, it's pretty nice to see that those who have it in hand (and have had the time to explore it) are really enjoying it.

I also see that we've got at least one person who's interested but can't afford it. I wonder if there isn't some way to fix that. Anyone willing to do a matching gift? Pay $7.50 if they can afford the other half? Or pay int'l shipping if they can afford the donation? Or just chip in to help? More donations are always good, right? Just a thought...

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for mentioning "encouraging fdk in general" Paul. I have posted fdk for the DVD, I need to post more, but I have posted some. But I appreciate the "in general" part of that comment.

Like it says on the main page of the archives...the authors (or vid creators, or artists) aren't paid for what they do. Their payment is the fdk they receive from those who enjoy what they do.

I know from personal experience (no, I'm not on the dvd, just the boards) that it can be discouraging if you don't receive fdk on a project you've posted. It can make you feel like "why bother" after a while. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way (and I also know I'm as guilty as the next person for being behind on fdk)...and I'm getting off my soapbox now blush

So if any of you out there love something you've read or seen on the DVD - tell those people who created it. They'll love you for it, any little comment...and the same goes for the rest of the stuff on the boards. Don't forget to tell us if you like something...it encourages us to continue! dance

--DJ hands the thread back to Paul blush - sorry for commandeering it briefly, but you are so right - fdk is so important!

***Edited*** I also wanted to say I agree with Yvonne...if there's something you don't like about the story (vid, or art), or have suggestions about, send those comments too because that is what will help us improve! Thanks!

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have the DVD but like Rivka haven't had the time to really look at it. I voted for other because of that. When I do get around to read/view the contents, I will "try" to give fdk, though I've been pretty lousy about that lately.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need a DVD player to play the DVD. It isn't like the Season 1&2 DVD's from Warner Brothers. You just need a disk drive on your computer. The DVD wouldn't "play" for me. I just downloaded the stories and videos off it.
Originally I was going to give feedback privately and then I found the Fundraiser Feedback thread. I added to that because I thought brief feedback would encourage others to donate. (Advertising if you will.) I'm posting something as I read.
Remember, these stories won't be posted for a year for others to enjoy. For me, Nan's "Halloween" was worth the price of the whole thing. It is one of her very best stories and a nice long one.
Anyway, great job all.
thumbsup
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
That's correct, Artemis. This DVD is NOT a disk that can be played on a set-top DVD player. It is not a movie. Think of it as a data disk with movie and text files on it. You can play the individual movies on your computer, but not on a DVD player.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought it important to point that out because I read a comment about not donating because the person didn't own a DVD player. All you need to own is a computer with a disc drive and we all have that.
cool
Artemis
Again, great job everyone.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Actually, it has to be a DVD-ROM drive. A CD or CD-RW drive won't do it. Most modern comps do have a DVD reader, but not all.

So:

If you have a computer with a DVD drive (the letters DVD will appear on the door of the drive), you're all set.

If not (even if you have a DVD player hooked up to your TV), you won't be able to play it.

But the content of the disk would probably fit onto a regular CD-R disk, so if you have a CD-R or CD-RW drive, there's a chance you could work something out. smile

Paul

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, for anyone who doesn't have a DVD drive in their computer, we can supply a private link to an online version of the content. So don't let that stop you from donating and getting hold of all this wonderful stuff!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard