Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A storyline ran through my mind the other day, and I realised that it was the plotline to yet another story read in its spawning stage that was never destined to make it upriver. It made me wonder how others feel about reading fanfiction these days.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yes, I will admit to being slightly battle-hardened in this regard so if you note my sardonic undertones, that's the reason.

Plan9lives is lucky to be only a pseudonym in my mind. Yes it was long. Yes it was torturous, but goshdarnit, I stuck through 39 something parts!

I was never a fan of choose your own adventure books.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Capes, it's nice to read a story posted in instalments on the boards. When you read a story piece by piece that way, I, at least, often find I savor the individual parts more. When I read a story on the Archive, I tend to sort of skim over certain parts that don't seem quite so interesting... I guess you could say I read it a bit more carelessly!

Of course, if I'm reading a story on the boards, I'll certainly be very happy to see the author post frequently, so that I don't half-forget what has happened while I'm waiting for the next instalment. Two, three or even four instalments a week is just great!

As for stories that don't get finished.... Oh, that is frustrating. I'm not happy to imagine endings to them myself. When a story doesn't get finished, I'm afraid I just sort of discard it in my mind, with a sense of disappointment. I feel like I have been following a murder mystery in the news. The media have shown me all this tantalizing evidence, but then after months of trying to bring the case to a close, the news about it seems to be coming in more and more infrequently. And then it sort of disappears altogether. All you are left with is a frustrating sense of mystery and a realization that you are never going to know whodunnit.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, you know...there's my bus theory. Say no more. goofy

Sadly, I was forced to vote with the last option. whinging But if I did have the time, I'd probably just read everything. Or almost. I used to try to abide by my bus theory, but usually temptation to read the next thing posted won out instead. What can I say? I have no willpower. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
I don't read any story until it is finished. The reason is that currently I have 8 stories sitting on my harddive that have not been posted to for as
long as 1 to 3 months. Recently I deleted a number of stories from my computer that had not been posted to longer than that. I figure if the writer starts posting again I will download the deleted chapters again. Just as the authors of these stories have time crunch problems - so do readers. We all have a lot to do in our lives and having to rereading stories because I've forgotten what I've read because it has been so long between postings is not an option. So as I said I wait until the story is finished.

I will say that I would prefer that it not go to the archives for a while after it is finished. I've read many a story that has made it on the archive that have things that should be fixed. On more than one occasion I have emailed the author and they have never fixed the problems. I guess they don't have time to go back or the inclination once it has been archived.

Anyway I love reading the stories but I just don't have the time to invest in stories that aren't finished so I wait for the finished product.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I usually read vignettes here at the boards and longer fics at the archive. Just so I can be certain that I'm reading a whole fic. :p

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I will say that I would prefer that it not go to the archives for a while after it is finished. I've read many a story that has made it on the archive that have things that should be fixed. On more than one occasion I have emailed the author and they have never fixed the problems. I guess they don't have time to go back or the inclination once it has been archived.
It's not as simple as that, kmar. To correct errors in a story on the Archive, the author has to go through the Editor-in-Chief. The story may very well have to be GEd again. And then the webmaster has to upload it again. So it's giving several people unnecessary work just to fix some errors that probably aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

There are typos and even a couple of continuity errors in stories of mine on the Archive, but it's really not worth making people do extra work just to spare my blushes.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Alas, none of the options offered suited my response, which would have been:

I will read stories that have not yet been completed, because it is a non-issue for me as to whether they've been completed or not.

Yvonne smile

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I read on the archive. Firstly, because I cannot stand reading story parts in bits. There's an absolutely fabulous story being posted on a SW message board (story is called "Thrwarted Fate"). I read all that there was and then started checking each week on Thursdays for the updates (they update on Thursdays). But I couldn't enjoy the story. I just can't read stories 5 to 10 minutes at a time. I like to read things straight through.

I also read on the archive because I hate it when stories don't get finished. This way I don't even have to go the fanfic message boards and don't risk getting sucked in by those unfinished stories.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I voted in the category that I will read incomplete stories because I am eternally optimistic...but in truth, being optimistic has nothing to do with it. Obviously in a perfect world I would prefer that every story is posted and completed in a timely manner, but that's not the world we live in.

To be honest, I'm not sure how some readers have the willpower to wait for a story to show up on the Archive. If I see Wendy posting a new story on the mbs, and she warns in that first post that it's going to be a bit of an epic, do you honestly expect me to WAIT?! True, I think that Wendy has always completed any story that she's started...but what if this one was the first? I don't have the willpower, or the patience, or feel the need to wait until it's done - if I have the time, I'm going to read it NOW!

I've been involved in three other fandoms over the years, and all of them have their share of unfinished stories that I deeply regret were never completed. But never have I felt cheated by the author, nor felt frustrated that I've "wasted" my time, nor felt that I would "die" if I didn't find out how the story would end (well, I've come close to this once or twice smile ).

But despite recognizing the validity of Labby's bus theory, I've never had the willpower to wait, especially if it's an author whose previous works I've enjoyed. I can name several unfinished stories just now off the top of my head - Missy's What's Love Got to Do With It, Kae's When the Fallen Angels Fly, Sara's Unfinished Business, Lynn's Haunting Eden, Irene's New Heights - that may never be finished. I'll be very sorry if that's the case, because I've loved them all. There are undoubtedly any number of others that I haven't mentioned. But I don't regret reading any of them, because even the little bit of the story that these authors were able to share with us was a gift, in my opinion. I just reread Haunting Eden a few days ago, for example. Even though I knew it would make me cry (which it did), even though I had remembered exactly where it had ended and I knew that there still wasn't any more - I still love that story and felt the need to reconnect with it.

So even though in these past few months I've been completely delinquent about giving feedback - for which I owe everyone a blanket apology - I treasure the stories that are posted here, and will never complain if, for whatever reason, the story isn't able to be told in its entirety.

Heck, half the time even when a story is posted in full, people are screaming for a sequel! We're never satisfied... blush

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I voted optimisitic, since I try to read stories on the boards. Try, being the keyword. <g>

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
To correct errors in a story on the Archive, the author has to go through the Editor-in-Chief. The story may very well have to be GEd again. And then the webmaster has to upload it again. So it's giving several people unnecessary work just to fix some errors that probably aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things.
And, of course, there's another option, Kmar. Perhaps they just didn't agree that there was a problem to fix. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hm. I read everything eventually. However, I voted that I'll wait for stories to hit the Archive because I don't have time to follow installments these days.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's about time management...

I have a tendancy to sit down in the evening and just keep reading, all through the night and probably out the otherside if I don't force myself to stop. So installments mean I get to have a life as well as fanfic laugh

Oh, and I love fics so much, I don't usually want them to end (if that makes sense!) So if they don't, well, it doesn't really matter. The Gorn, Plan9Lives, et al, sorry you don't feel able to be around any more, but thank you for your contributions to fanfic. notworthy

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I used to read every story that popped up on the message board. But for the last year plus, time has been scarce, so I tend to check the archive each Sunday to see what's been posted. I'll likely read the short stories right there. For the longer ones, I'll copy them over to Word and make an eBook out of them that I can read on my PocketPC when I have free time.

I'll still check the message board every once in a while and read some short ones, but I rarely these days, if ever, read the long ones. I just don't have the time. frown

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
I read at the archive, but it's not so much because I'm worried about stories not being completed. I've been involved with fanfiction long enough to have pretty well accepted that possibility as part of the culture and learned to live with it. I choose to read completed stories because these days I don't have the brain cells required to follow multiple WIP's - the vast majority of which (in this fandom) involve the same two leading characters and many of the same supporting characters in often similar situations. Wait...was that the one where Clark swallowed the Kryptonite? Or maybe it was a Kryptonite bullet? Or a Kryptonite massage oil? Anyway, he got darn sick, I know that... It just gets confusing!

On the one hand, WIP's can be lovely, because they fit into those "coffee breaks" that are pretty easy to manage, whereas a four-hour read-a-thon can be awfully hard to fit into real life, but I enjoy the reading more if I can do it straight through and really enter one author's world. And when I'm writing, I stick with MY world, for better or for worse, and don't read other stories at all until mine is finished. It's just too easy for other authors' interpretations/characterizations to creep into my own writing and affect the internal consistency of the story.

Just the new girl's .02 smile

Caroline

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
frown I picked that I don't read it until it's archived...I picked that because I didn't really get on the message boards until recently...like two months ago...but I have been reading the archived stories for about four years or so. Most of the ones I've read are great and I hope my story turns out to be as good as one of those but I guess We'll just have to wait and see.

party

Lois: You think we'll be together when we get old and gray.
Clark: I sure hope so because I don't think I could go on living if living is without you.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I try to read as much as possible on the boards, simply because it is easier for me timewise to read shorter installments rather than really long stories.

That said, I run to the archive every chance I get to download all the longer stories to read whenever I do have more time or when there aren't that many new installments posted. That way I always have a fresh supply of stories and don't go through withdrawal symptoms. laugh

Natascha

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I always wait for stories to be posted on the archive, partly because I find it tedious and confusing to read stories by instalment but mostly because I'm not really on the boards that often and ofcourse theres the fact that I have no life so sitting for hours and reading a full lenth fic is not really a problem for me.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I found this to be a very interesting poll. I'm kind of split right now because I'm new to the whole experience. Right now I'm doing a lot of reading on the archive - but mainly because I'm playing catch up. I've read a lot of stories on the MB's.

The main reason I like to read on the MB's is to be able to provide fdk to the author...encouragement to keep them writing all these wonderful stories. smile1

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard