Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236320 04/23/06 04:44 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I've been thinking about the ceremony time lately. It's quite common to have the ceremony at 6pm EST. Unfortunately, that always means it lasts to well into the night for us in Europe. So I've been looking up different times in most timezones.

So my question is, go vote and tell what time would suit you best. It doesn't matter if you can't make it to the ceremony, I just like to know what time you'd like best. Hypothatically speaking.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Alas... one of the (very few) downsides of the worldliness of the FoLCdom...

I gave it much thought - didn't want to click blindly on what suits *me* best. (Which, incidentally, is option #4.) I think that, overall, the best options are the third and the fifth. They are brutal to the least people possible. (The third to the people of Australia/New Zealand, the fifth to the people of Asia.)

I want to make sure before casting my vote - do you want us to vote plainly for what we'd like best? Completely selfishly? Or keep into consideration what it brings along?

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
No options that are later than the current, hmm?

Alas!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Anna, whatever time we are going to choose, it will always be inconvenient for some timezone. So the question right now, is for everyone to vote for their best option.

Rivka, if I move it even later, it'd be well into the Sunday for me. And we'd like to hold a ceremony with the entire committee present. <g> We're just trying to figure out what will work best for everyone in folcdom. Which, of course, can mean no changes at all...

Saskia smile

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
All right, then. Option #4 it is for me.

See ya,
Anna.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I have to admit that I wouldn't mind one ceremony or even one year the time being more tuned to the non-American FoLCs than the Americans. wink Just now and then, perhaps. About 8pm UK time, would be very nice for once. I think there are probably enough non-American FoLCs in the fandom these days to justify it. Certainly there's more of a balance than there used to be, when the ceremony times were originally set, back in the day.

Maybe it's time to start rotating the time, year by year, so that every time zone gets a reasonable start time every so often.

LabRat (who's getting too old to sit up till four am ...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Sas, I know. smile And obviously, the committee's attendance is the most crucial!

I was just, y'know, sort of wishing . . . wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Believe it or not, the 2am Sunday/Sydney would actually work best for me. I have a feeling I'd be the only aussie FoLC in attendence, but... <g>

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I can't attend on the Sunday. I already have a friend's wedding and a grand final of a talent quest. So Saturday would be great. jump

the 2am Sunday/Sydney would actually work best for me.
Dave, don't you ever sleep? If I didn't have anything on the Sunday I'd attend at 2am. But that's impossible this year. frown

Tricia cool

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by TriciaW:
Dave, don't you ever sleep?
Don't be silly... of course I don't! wink

I have to work on Sundays, and while I can sleep around the ceremony, I can't work around it. smirk

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't voted; I couldn't decide which of the times I actually preferred. I can, however, tell you which one I like least.

The only time that I truly don't like is the one that starts at 11pm in my time zone, which is the one we've used for the Kerths in the past. I'd even rather crawl out of bed at five a.m. than stay up until the silly wee hours and feel lousy the following day. (I'm not good at sleeping late when it's daylight outside.)

The whole thing is probably moot as far as I'm concerned, though, as I doubt very much that I will be attending the Alt-Kerth ceremony. Good luck, guys, with whatever you decide, though.

Chris

EDITED to say, for those that don't know, I'm in Britain, so the same time zone as London... and LabRat. smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, alternative #4 works best for me, definitely. Would be rather wonderful if Kerths were around that time as well. I was basically dead on my feet during the ceremony...not that it wasn't worth it. wink

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry I'm so late in posting this (kept forgetting), but I had a thought...

Can you repost the poll with checkboxes instead of radio buttons? Is it worth it at this point? I think you might get more useful info that way. Let people check off the times that could work for them, then see what gets the most numbers.

I know I was confused by having a range of possibilities. I voted for 3pm, but 6 would probably actually be better for me. I just put 3 because it looked like it'd work for me and be easier for a number of others. Maybe that's not true, though. I don't really know.

Anyway... it's a thought.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I selfishly voted for the 8pm London option, although 5pm London would run a close second. Like Chris, I find staying up after well after midnight very hard indeed and usually spend most of Sunday after the Kerths feeling like death warmed up.

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto Paul - there's certainly more than one time that would work for me, and I'm sure the same goes for others.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I selfishly voted for the 8pm London option, although 5pm London would run a close second. Like Chris, I find staying up after well after midnight very hard indeed and usually spend most of Sunday after the Kerths feeling like death warmed up.
Yeah. But what kills me most these days is missing out on the post-ceremony party in #loisclark. razz But there's just no way I can keep my eyes open by that point.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
We've discussed the results and different comments, and we've reached a conclusion. We're moving the ceremony to the evening for those of us in Europe. What time exactly isn't sure yet, but 3 pm EST seems most reasonable.

We might repost the poll in a little while with all the options that are left and use Paul's suggestion. Right now, we are working on getting the quizzes started and putting together the eligbles.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's been very helpful!

Saskia smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Great idea to post a poll for that, Sas! Have to say I was mostly dead on my feet during the Kerth ceremony (1 am for me), and as the coordinator, that was probably no good. wink It'll be great to be fully alert during the ceremony for once. wink

Kaethel smile (getting old laugh )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oy, I won't be able to make it then. I can do it if it's *2* in the afternoon, I'm pretty sure. But 12 pm PST is impossible. I'll be at church. frown I might be able to get on before it's through, if lunch is done fast enough, but unless I'm allowed to park my nick there while I'm gone, I will definitely miss some, probably most of it. frown

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard