Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235819 09/29/05 04:07 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Just wanted to know how you feel about hiring assemblers. If you had to hire an assembler to assemble your furnitures for you? Now be honestly.

#235820 09/29/05 07:53 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about, but if it's that stuff from Target or Ikea with the little wannabe screwdriver thingies... I am inexplicably *horrible* at putting those together. I get my dad to do it for me. goofy Or I don't get it at all. wink

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#235821 09/30/05 06:48 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
No, I would never hire an assembler to put my furniture together. If I buy furniture that needs assembled, it's because I'm buying the cheap stuff, and if I had to pay more (I think your starting figure was $50) to have someone else put it together, it would defeat the purpose. For the increased price, I'd buy stuff that was already assembled and have them haul it into the house.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#235822 09/30/05 08:11 AM
Columnist
Columnist
No I wouldn't hire an assembler it defeats the purpose - buying cheaper furniture. Besides I've put so much together I'm pretty speedy at it. I've put together several microwave carts, bookcases, 3 computer desks (2 of them large), 2 large entertainment centers and 1 small one to name a few of the items. When my sister moved into her first apartment after college that was the job I was given. So no I would not hire an assembler. Maybe I could hire myself out for extra cash. dance

#235823 09/30/05 06:46 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well my fee for assembling furniure for others are pretty cheap. It usually involves going to a corner resturant and feeding me till I'm full. Chinese doesn't count, I can never get full on chinese food. I count Chinese food as appetizers.

I have a friend who absolutely hates to assemble anything. That's why she hires me all the time. That's why I posted this poll and to get your opinions

Ikea furnitures are not all easy to assemble. There are diffrent skill level depending how good you can follow visual instruction. I've found out that there is parts of some assembling manuel that would make you do some pretzel moves of some parts of your limbs, which could be easily avoided. My mom's TV stand for instance makes you put the middle shelf in before the top which does not allow you to use a screw driver in to tighten the screws for the top.

I've assembled Target/Kmart furnitues....Okay now I remember Kmart furniture... dizzy ...Okay let me try it again. I've assembled a Kmart comupter desk for my mom once and the cut of the top board that was to be assembled above the moniter was longer then the bottom board which was to be assembled on the bottom of where the moniter should go.

If you want to buy Cheap furniture without the hassel of the cuts not fitting, buy Ikea but in my oppinion buy more expensive furnitures if you want it to last you longer. Ikea furitures don't last. I have heavy books and my "Home Depot" bought book shelf is already making that 'u' shape.

#235824 10/01/05 03:51 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Only once have I had someone put something together for me, and that was because we had our futon delivered.. the delivery person put it together. With the help of my husband, I put together our entertainment center (he had to help because it's huge and taller than I am, 5.5 feet tall, and at least as wide). And I not only put his desk together, but I put my large L-shaped desk together with a migraine. Though I think next time I'll just wait. dizzy The entertainment center, I think, was Bush Furniture, my desk was O'Sullivans.

I like tools, they're fun. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#235825 10/01/05 06:10 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I am completely unable to put together anything including puzzles inyet my house is full of furniture which had to be assembled (computer desk,crib,dinning room set,tv stand, I could go on). I have never paid for someone to do it for me, that's what my husband is for laugh but I guess if I he wasn't around then I would hire an assembler and it wouldn't matter whether it was a man or a woman.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard