#234835 02/12/05 09:47 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
New poll. Which do you use more often?

I tend to use the microwave more myself, but only because if I were a Sim, I'd burn the apartment down if I tried to make anything more complicated than frozen pizza in the oven. My cooking skills are only slightly better than Lois's (I can follow simple to moderately-difficult recipes, as long as no fancy crepe-like-folding or Kitchen Kung Fu is required).

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#234836 02/12/05 10:40 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Awww... Emily, you didn't have the option: What's a stove? <g>

I use them both but hardly ever the stove. I'm definitely a Lois in the kitchen. laugh

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#234837 02/12/05 12:27 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I use the microwave more simply because of heating up leftovers. For actual cooking it kind of depends on what the food is. So for cooking I guess its a 3 way split between stove, microwave or grill.

#234838 02/12/05 12:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In America, is a stove the oven plus the hob (which is what it is in the UK)? Just checking before I answer the poll. smile

Yvonne

PS - what's a 'Sim' ?

#234839 02/12/05 01:10 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
What's a hob? I consider the stove both parts -- that which you make pizzas in and the top part which you occassionally fry eggs and hamburgers on. Or at least, I do. wink

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#234840 02/12/05 01:13 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm surprised that I'm the only one (so far) to answer 'stove'. I might use the microwave to heat up some leftovers or defrost frozen foods, but I cook on the stove. (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner - usually using 3 or 4 burners at a time.)

I'm assuming by 'stove' you mean just the stove-top. If you mean the entire appliance, including oven, then even more so I'd say stove!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#234841 02/12/05 01:39 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Yes, I'm referring to the entire thing.

Darn, I wish I could go back & edit.

#234842 02/12/05 02:13 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Definitely the microwave. My culinary skills consist totally of 'throw item into microwave, close door, wait for ding'. Although I have recently graduated to sometimes using a George Forman grill, too. Which is really the same principle... wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#234843 02/12/05 02:40 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The whole stove. I only use the microwave to heat leftovers, but I don't always eat leftovers. I'm finally getting into the habit.. never had it growing up, since we had dogs. laugh

I've been doing my best to cook dinner more lately. I don't always feel like it. But even when I don't, a quick dinner is a fried egg and bologna sandwich, or french toast. I don't even use the microwave to heat the water for my tea anymore, because for some reason the mug handles got hot in the microwave. I also love to bake, which is easier to do in the oven.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#234844 02/12/05 07:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I use the microwave to heat up leftovers, but I keep ending up surprised at that thought that people can use the derned thing to actually cook.

Personally, if I'm cooking, I'm using the stove.

Oh, as for what, exactly, a "stove" is... I think of it more as the stovetop/range than the oven. I'm used to the combo units, but in our house, the two are seperate. The ovens (we have two) are built into the wall, and then we have burners on an island, with cabinets and drawers underneath.

I use the oven mostly for baking (which I don't do so much these days, other than brownies), but my cooking method of choice is to sautee.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#234845 02/12/05 07:24 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Like Paul, we have a separate stovetop/oven, and I also did in the last place I was.

If I am actually cooking, then the order of usage is stove, oven, microwave.

If we're including such things as heating milk for coffee, instant oatmeal, and popcorn then the microwave wins -- mostly because I nuke milk for my coffee just about every weekday morning.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#234846 02/12/05 07:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Definitely the microwave -- for heating up water for coffee, leftovers, cup noodles, powdered soup. You can even make instant noodles in the microwave, if you just put the block of noodles in a bowl of water and cover it to heat wink

I'm *worse* than Lois in the kitchen. My mum does all the cooking. Can you tell?

JM blush

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
#234847 02/13/05 01:36 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
You can even make instant noodles in the microwave, if you just put the block of noodles in a bowl of water and cover it to heat
I lived on Ramen noodles and mac n' cheese in college. Microwaves work great for both. wink

#234848 02/13/05 03:06 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, here it is for those who live alone.

Hot dogs: Microwave
Soup: Microwave
Frozen Pizza: Pizzaz Pizza maker (they work great)
Hamburgers: Broiler under the oven or George Foreman grill

That's pretty much it.

Tank (who almost forgot the toaster... savior of breakfasts)

#234849 02/13/05 03:15 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
You left out calling restaurants or going to delivermefood.com and having food delivered without even turning on the stove or microwave. And if I feel adventurous, I might actually go to the restaurant and eat there.

- Laura wink

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#234850 02/13/05 03:25 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I do use a microwave, but really only for defrosting things, for heating up leftovers, and for making custard. Actually, you can make a great white sauce in the microwave, too. Oh, and it's very good for cooking courgettes (zucchini).

I use the cooker (stove) more, though. Even though I had leftovers for lunch today, only part of the meal got reheated in the microwave; I also used the hob.

I bake. I roast. I fry, boil and grill. And I suffer from huge pangs of guilt whenever I'm reduced to eating ready meals!

In case you haven't guessed by now, I like cooking -- and I dare to say that I'm pretty good at it.

Now, if only I could get my bread maker out of storage... I didn't know it was possible to miss an appliance this much! wink

Chris

#234851 02/13/05 04:30 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Nonono. Hot dogs = grill. Best way to make them. Doesn't matter if it's an actual grill, or the George Foreman, it still tastes better that way. Reminds me, I need to get more gas...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#234852 02/13/05 09:05 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In a drive to eat more real food and fewer ready meals, I usually batch cook on Sunday afternoons. I'll make enough casserole, soup, stew, whatever, for a family of four, then freeze three portions. Over the course of a few weeks, that means I'll build up a variety of home-cooked meals in the freezer which I can take out in the morning to defrost, then zap in the microwave when I come home from work.

I also use the microwave to heat up Saturday night curries and such like, bake potatoes when I haven't got the time to wait for them in the oven, and cook some vegetables.

Otherwise, I fry, grill, casserole, toast, boil, mash, chop, peel, grate, um... etc. laugh

I consider myself a pretty competent cook who doesn't cook as often as she'd like to. I used to bake a lot when I was a teenager, but these days, it's a once or twice a year thing - partly because my new oven is terrible and not worth the vast quantity of money I spent on it. wink

Yvonne

#234853 02/13/05 10:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I used to bake a lot when I was a teenager, but these days
Yeah, funnily enough, I used to do that too. In fact, I even went to catering college after leaving school with the intention of becoming a chef, so convinced was I that I loved cooking.

Boy, was that a bad career choice! goofy I think I lasted six months before deciding there was no way I was going to spend all my working life in a suffocatingly hot kitchen. laugh

Can still tell you how to chop an onion fast and furious though. And something about some kind of sauce, the particulars of which escape me, except that I know it tasted foul...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#234854 02/13/05 02:35 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
You left out calling restaurants or going to delivermefood.com and having food delivered without even turning on the stove or microwave. And if I feel adventurous, I might actually go to the restaurant and eat there.
Actually, I think I had a neither. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard