Hi all.

This is an idea that has been churning around in my head for quite some time, and finally after I found this board, I decided to get it down on paper. It’s a crossover with the show Early Edition, with a bit of a twist, which I’ll explain later.

For those who are not familiar with the EE universe, here’s the jest of it:

Gary Hobson is a man that receives tomorrow’s newspaper today, and uses it to try and save people.
He’s co-owner of a Pub, McGinty’s, along with his friend, Marissa, in Chicago. His best friend is Chuck Fishman, who can’t always understand why Gary does what he does, Chuck always feel that the paper is there to make money with and maybe the occasional save in between. Toni Brigatti is a FBI agent, in my universe Gary is in love with her (which I believe was the case on the show as well) and she doesn’t know about the paper. She does however feel the same attraction as Gary does. (I’ve taken many liberties with the timeline and in this universe Chuck never left Chicago, but Brigatti showed up around the same time as she did in the EE universe)

As for the twist, in the show (Early Edition) Gary will get the Newspaper and change whatever needs to be changed, they never show the “original” day, where that which happened, happened. To make this clearer, Gary will get the newspaper and go and save someone who would have been killed in a hit and run, BUT they do not show the original hit and run, only that which is read in the newspaper, and then how Gary tries to stop it. In my story I’m going to first write the original day (only with Lois and Clark in it), and then the one where Gary intercedes.

This takes place somewhere in the second season, where Lois and Clark starts their complicating relationship, but Lois does not yet know about Superman. This is a revelation story, but that isn’t the main theme.

Btw I saw the poll on death stories. I myself have actually written one before for another TV show (this is my first LC, as well as EE fanfic), so I don’t really mind writing it, or reading it, this however is NOT one, even if it may look so at first. Why do you think I brought EE into it? laugh

One last thing, I do not have a beta, any volunteers will be greatly appreciated, English isn’t my first language either, so I hope that the Grammar and Spelling is correct, I try my best to ensure to that.

Okay, if you understood this far, I’m really glad and pleasantly surprised, now on with the story. razz

Chapter one
Clark Kent was walking around the bullpen looking like a man possessed. Eyes a blazed he stormed the desk where Lois Lane sat quietly working.
“Lois Lane what possessed you to do that?!” Surprised at the aggressiveness in Clark’s voice Lois looked up stunned.

“What are you on about Clark?” Lois asked true surprise in her voice.

“You know what I’m talking about, I just had to hear from Superman that you had risked your life and limb to get a story, again!” Clark still couldn’t believe that Lois had jumped out of a moving car, sure it had been to escape, after being kidnapped, again. He just didn’t want to think about what would have happened had he not gotten there on time.

“Clark you know that I will not unnessecerily put my life in jeopardy, I had gone to see a source that had evidence that Luthor had escaped, I had to check it out. Things turned a bit sour, but Superman was there ready to save me!” Lois couldn’t understand how Clark could be so overprotective.

“What if he hadn’t been there Lois, what if he couldn’t catch you after you jumped out of that car, how do you think he would have felt, how do you think I would have felt”

For the first time Lois saw something different in Clark’s eyes, it wasn’t anger or disappointment, okay maybe the latter as well, but she saw a genuine fear there, a fear for her life.

“Clark… I’m sorry, I didn’t think, I just went after the story, I’ll be more careful in the future.” It was impossible for Clark to stay mad at Lois after that, he gently cupped her chin in his hands and smilingly replied “You’d better be.”

That was all that was necessary, slowly and gently his lips caressed hers, giving way for her tongue to play around in his mouth. He wished for time to stand still, that nothing would ever interrupt that moment.

Just as that thought passed through his mind he heard the unmistakable yell of a woman, sounding desperate and in need of help.

“Lois, uhmm, Lois…” Clark struggled to talk with her tongue still firmly placed in his mouth, afraid that he might bite her tongue he gently removed his mouth from hers.

Looking angry and confused Lois’s eyes searched his, I’m so sorry Lois, but, I, I have to go.

With that Clark left the room hurriedly.

‘Now what did I do?’ Lois asked herself sulkily, feeling as confused as ever.

Superman flew in the direction of where the yell had come from. As he reached the destination he saw a young woman lying on the ground, crying out for help looking afraid, but she didn’t seem to be hurt. Curious he quickly landed next to her. Her eyes filled with tears she shook her head, choking on whatever she was trying to tell him.

Worried he bent down to ask her what had happened, when he felt a pain greater than he had ever felt in his life piercing through his body, he looked down and saw that three bullets had racked his body, he couldn’t understand what was happening, he had been shot before, it wasn’t supposed to pain, it wasn’t even supposed to enter his body!

“Do you have any idea how hard it was to find kryptonite. It seems to be more extinct than the Dodo. Yes I actually found one of those on my search. I was finally able to find an owner and it didn’t take too much killing to convince him to give it to me, what not impressed…” Clark couldn’t believe it, in front of him stood his archenemy laughing menacingly.

“Lex…” Clark was surprised at how weak his voice sounded.

“What not as strong as you think?” Clark wished he could answer but he had absolutely no energy left.

So this was what it felt like to be dying, Clark thought.

The last thought that went through his mind was that he wished he had told Lois the truth.

Lex Luthor looked down at the body of the man that had destroyed him. He had always thought he would be thrilled if his nemeses was destroyed, that he would feel free. But he didn’t feel anything, only an inexplicable hollowness.

He heard the unmistakable sound of sirens and left, destruction lying in his wake.

“This is Jenna Jenkins from Channel 1 News, I’m am here at the scene of one of the most brutal deaths in history. Not because of the method, but because of the victim…” Lois looked up, surprised and saw that Jimmy was staring blankly at the television screen after he had pushed up the volume.

She drew her attention towards the screen, trying to find out who the victim was. She had to do a double take when she saw the headline news scrolling at the bottom of the screen. Two simple words caught her attention, she couldn’t believe what she was reading, didn’t want to believe it. “Superman killed”

Before Perry or Jimmy could stop her she ran out of the news room, she had seen the building behind the journalist, and ran at top speed towards it, not wanting to think about what she was going to find there. She had decided to pursue a relationship with Clark, but her feelings for Superman had not died away completely.

As she reached the building she had seen, she saw police had barricaded the area, noticing Detective Henderson she approached him and asked if she could enter the barricaded area. Knowing it was against protocol, but feeling for the woman, whom he knew to be one of the closest friends of Superman he let her through.

Lois saw that the police had already put Superman in a body bag, as she looked down at the man lying in the black bag she was shocked at the sudden recognition. It had been staring at her for the past two years and she had never noticed. As she looked at the lock of hair that had fallen out of place, she knew that she hadn’t only lost one man in her life that day, as all the pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place, she let out an uncontrollable sob.

“Clark!”

-------------------------------------------------

So what do you think, this was the first chapter, and like I said, this was the first day, the next chapters will be the repeat of the day, with Gary seeing what happened in the Newspaper.

Any questions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

You can also send me an email if you like, at altabez@webmail.co.za