Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234476 11/27/04 12:45 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Reading MDL's addition to the BR thread made me wonder how many BRs work for more than one author and vice versa. Here's a poll so that we can all find out. laugh

Yvonne

#234477 11/27/04 01:14 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Intersting poll, Yvonne. I'd also add as beta readers those readers who make suggestions on wips on the mbs. I've made so many changes & corrections based on mbs posts. So lots of beta readers:)

c

#234478 11/27/04 01:59 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Well, I had to answer "other" for both questions because of the word "regularly." wink

Just getting back into the online community in the last year or so, I don't think I yet qualify for "regularly." laugh

I just started writing fanfic again this year and for the first time in my life, used a beta reader. Well.. several. goofy So how many BRs do I regularly use? That's yet to be determined, but with any luck, the great folcs that helped me out will be willing and able to help me out with the sequel. (Oh, and for those of you dying of curiousity... I started out with one BR and by the time I was done posting the story, I had 5! Lucky me!! goofy )

As for having a certain amount of authors that I regularly BR for... Same deal. I just started BRing about the same time I started back up writing. I'm BRing for 3 authors now (well, one just finished, whooohooo, Diane!! goofy )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#234479 11/27/04 03:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I realized I had to answer "other" on the first question... I don't think there are any authors right now whom I regularly work with. Or if there are, they're not writing much goofy I tend to beta for a particular story, not the author, if that makes sense, though I do tend to stick with the same group of authors. And I often get these jobs by begging laugh You remember, Yvonne... "Hey, loved that sneak peek of Damaged, are you writing any more, do you need a beta reader, I work cheap, hint, hint?"

My only real regular beta reader is my friend Claire Hess -- she doesn't post to the boards much these days, but she's been a FOLC for almost as long as I have. I first met her right after the airing of "Contact," as I recall... she showed up to a FOLC dinner at a restaurant wearing tin foil on her head goofy We knew right away we'd love her <g> And she's been a terrific help with pretty much everything I've written over the past four years.

I've also got a number of friends who sign on to beta a story here or there. I often use this as a form of revenge laugh "Well, if you want me to write it that badly, you can bloody well help!" So beware of nagging me wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#234480 11/27/04 03:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm my own beta reader, and from an abused BR, it sucks. razz goofy

You missed the 0 in the poll laugh

#234481 11/27/04 04:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'm usually BRing for at least three authors at any one time. goofy I think the number of different authors I've BRed at least one story for hits well over the 20-mark, and if we're talking at least two stories, then it's got to be 10 or so authors. goofy

Currently, I'm BRing for Yvonne, Pam and one other writer who shall not be named. goofy Like Pam, I'll occasionally 'sign on' for an individual story by a certain author, but I also have a few author friends for whom I'll BR anything they write.

As for my own BRs, I have to admit that, being somewhat over-prolific, eek I try not to inflict my stuff on too many people. Yvonne and Kaethel are my principal, invaluable BRs, but I don't necessarily ask both of them to read everything I write. It's hard enough for them to keep up with me as it is! So: usually two BRs, but occasionally one.

Interesting poll, Y!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#234482 11/28/04 01:17 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
First question:

Other. I used to BR for many people at a time, but now I have no time at all to dedicate to BRing frown

Second question:

One, but not always the same. Sometimes a friend or someone who's BRed for me in the past is available, some other times I have to post a BR request.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#234483 11/28/04 07:21 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good question, Y! I'm actually feeling guilty now that I've answered the poll... I used to BR for a lot of people, then I got a job and... well, I had to give up on lots of things. For a while I stopped BRing altogether. These days, the only author I BR for regularly is Wendy.

On the other hand (and this is where the "guilty" part is coming up), I use... erm... 4 regular BRs: Wendy, Elena, Rat and Annette (the BR with emphasis on R) read most of the stuff I write before I post it. If it's just a short thing, I won't bug all four of them with it. But for long fics I really rely on them. *And* I've just got a fifth BR (and I'm trying to figure out how to work with 5 different BRs - I think it's really the upper limit laugh ): Bethy and I got into great brainstorming sessions and so I asked for her help on NWH II, and she agreed. hyper

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#234484 11/28/04 01:46 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Reading MDL's addition to the BR thread made me wonder how many BRs work for more than one author and vice versa.
Me??? goofy

Well, As I said, I do not Beta-Read. I Best-Read. I'm uncapable of picking things in grammar because, as you all know, I'm an ESL speaker. (aka Stupid Braz. lol) But I do like to help commenting and helping people improve their texts, trying to find glitches in the plot and to suggest things that werent clear or that I would expect to read. Sometimes I protest and Almost always I nag. I am also experienced in ego-boosting so if anyone needs one, I am a volunteer!

About my BRs... Oh how lucky can a person be? I have been being (is it right? confused ) BRed by excellent people who became my true friends.

Some of them BR grammar, some make comments, some help me with my noodles-speed needs, others are responsible for ego-boosting. And they are professional ones! (With pon-pons and banners with my name on them, right Rachel? goofy )

I am around since July. And since that month, life is better for me. I got many friends and lots of people reading my stories. I even have fans! Can you believe this???

But I could never do that without my BRs. I have to thank many people for this achievement. I will do that on the 1st of Dec. though.

Er... This is getting longer than MLTVs. I'm not used to it. This is also getting some kind of emotional. Er... So... I'll just shut up and go now and get some tissues.

MDL. (Ugh... I need another tissue.)

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard