Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
As an author who posts stories reasonably frequently on these boards, wink I view responding to comments as very important. If I had all the time and energy I could possibly want, I would always post lengthy replies, picking out points people had made which needed responses, getting into discussion with readers and generally ensuring that everyone who had commented was replied to adequately.

That's the theory. goofy Sadly, I rarely manage to do all that, and I suspect the same is true for most authors. Sometimes, lately, all I've had time for is a very quick, impersonal thanks. And once or twice I simply haven't had time to respond to a comments folder and by the time I do have some spare minutes it feels as if it's way too late.

Do readers care? Do they notice? huh A couple of times, when I explained on IRC that I couldn't post a new instalment because I had no time to reply to comments, I was told 'forget the comments, just post!' wink

Something reminded me of that today, and so I decided to ask this question. Readers, do you care? Authors, is replying to comments important to you?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting poll, Wendy! smile

I wasn't sure what to reply for the first question, and I think I should have gone for other. Yes, I check back and I'm delighted when the author replies to a specific point I made, in the case I wrote a long and detailed post. No, I won't post comments if I notice the author never replies to their comments folder - it then looks to me like the author doesn't care about my comments. smirk And yes, I do understand that authors don't always have time to reply in length to their feedback (myself included!!), and I totally respect that. So I won't be miffed if they don't reply in full length. smile

Second question was a little easier for me to answer. I wish I could always reply with details, taking every poster's point into account in my reply. Unfortunately, and even though I rarely ever post fanfic these days, time is too tight to post more than a few lines thanking my readers. frown

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like to read an author's comments when they respond back to the feedback thread but, of course knowing how RL can be, I would never blame someone for not having the time.

That said I like when something I've said struck a chord and an author acknowledges that. Feels a little more personal that way in the sense that when I read say a physical book the author never knows how much I may have loved (or hated) it.

I chose other for the second question since the idea of me writing anything postable is laughable! wink

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Kerth
Kerth
You know, first the next part... then if you have time the comments! laugh

I like to read the author reply to the comments and as a seldom writer :rolleyes: I like to answer them, sometimes there's time, sometimes there isn't hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
I picked answer 3 to the first question, but only because the "I understand it isn't always possible" clause was missing from answer 1. Answer 1 is really closer to how I feel, except, that, yes, I know it isn't always possible!

I had to pick 'other' for the second question, because I'm not an author, and the poll would not allow me to leave that question unanswered.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
As a reader and commentor, I like it when the writer checks back with the feedback thread to answer any questions or issues that might have been raised. I don't necessarily expect a response to each individual post, especially if those posts consist of "great part - where's the rest." The only time I really hope that a writer comments on my particular remark is if I've asked a question or have pointed out something. Otherwise, I completely sympathize with the limited time and sometimes limited ways there are to say thanks for feedback. I'd never stop reading a story I was enjoying because the writer couldn't post replies. Heck, there's time when I don't have time to offer feedback.

As a writer, I'm very guilty of not responding to feedback threads because of lack of time. I am trying to do better on that - take the time to answer specific issues and comments. I do so much appreciate the time that readers take to read and comment so I do feel it's the least I can do. Sometimes I might go more in-depth than at others, but all the time I'm appreciative.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Interesting poll, Wendy. It forced me to look at comments, etc. in a way I never before acknowledged.

As a reader, I've always left comments for the author. I know how much I like receiving feedback and feel that I leave comments for the author rather than myself - as a result, I rarely expect a reply..

As an author, I like the acknowledgement of people reading my story. Moreover, I like seeing how people interpret what I write in comparison to how I viewed the piece. In a creative writing class a few years ago, I wrote a story that had the entire class absolutely hating the main character but loving how she was portrayed. They had zero sympathy with her (the general consensus was that she was a 'rip off' of the title of the famous Meredith Brooks song) but the events and how I told the story made people find humor in it and enjoy it. It's not what I intended but the result was the same.

In cases where concerns are brought up (as you did last week with my story, Wendy), it usually causes me to think long and hard about the story and what changes I need to make, if any. I'll usually post feedback from comments in the beginning of the next section so that, hopefully, everyone reading the story will know my answer (as I'm not convinced tons of people check the comments after they post).

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ditto what Lynn said, really. As a reader/commenter, I also check back to see if any other commenters have responded to things I've said.

Yvonne

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I always check back to a comments folder on a story I'm reading. I enjoy reading what others have thought of a segment and the dialogue between author and readers as much as reading the story itself.

I think most readers will understand if an author is hit by RL and only has time to post a quick "thanks for all the comments, truly appreciate them, sorry I've not got time at the moment to say more". I think many readers understand less an author who never replies to a comment folder at all.

I do know there are many reasons for authors not to reply though. One author, I remember, thought that when he replied to a comments folder it ended the comments and capped off the thread. So he was loathe to do it.

I wonder though. This made me think. We're always hearing from readers saying - is it okay if I add a comment to a fdk thread late in the day? Sometimes readers catch up with stories here on the mbs and post fdk months or even longer after it's been posted. And the answer, of course, is always yes.

So...what's to stop authors doing the same? What's to stop them coming back months later, when RL eases up on them, and posting detailed responses to comments then? A sense that it's too late now? I don't see why it should be, now that this has focused my thoughts on it. If readers can do it - authors should be allowed to, too. goofy I'm sure readers would find it just as relevent and interesting six months later, than at the time of posting.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I'm guilty. I admit it.

I really think that a writer does have a resonable obligation to respond to the comments that his/her story posts might generate. Generally I ususally just give a blanket 'thanks' to those who've managed to give comments. Especially if those posts are of the 'good part' variety. If a particular question is raised, or something needs clarification I would address those. I don't do the 'copy block' method of bringing up what someone might have said (since I don't know how to do it wink ), but I do try to acknowledge the gist of what they've asked.

Having said this, Lately I haven't been commenting on anything. Including my own comment threads. Leading up to, and through the convention I was quite swamped and had little time for anything not convention related. I was getting a bit miffed at my job for causing me to take time away from the 'stuff' I needed to do for the convention.

Now that the convention is over, I find that I'm way behind in reading, but I hope to get caught up within a few days, then I can get back to a 'normal' commenting routine.

Tank (who isn't even going to get into that 'writing' thing that he's so behind on)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As a reader, I haven't always been as good as I should be about leaving comments. When I do, though, I always like to see what the author has to say about them. I understand if there isn't time, and I'd rather have the next story post. In general, though, I guess I think of the author's comments response as FDK on my FDK. It makes me feel appreciated to know that what I've said has been of value... Helpful, entertaining, pleasing... something.

So, like just about everyone else, I voted that comments responses are cool, but RL issues are understandable.

From the writer's side of things, I had to vote other. For me, it's not a time constraint that's the issue. My problem is finding stuff to say. I mean, how many times and ways can I say "Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate them." before the words lose all meaning? They're no less true for the repetition, but it certainly feels like they get devalued (if that makes any sense).

What I generally end up doing is giving a blanket thanks to everyone who commented, and then responding to specific things that popped out at me. Sort of a proportional response, I guess, although it doesn't always work that way.

It depends a lot on what the comments have to say, of course. A lot of my stories fall under the "funny, short, and sweet" category, and that tends to provoke comments in the same vein. It can be hard to come up with a good response when half your comments are " rotflol " It's always good to hear you've made people laugh, and that they enjoyed your work, but there isn't much you can really say in response.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I mean, how many times and ways can I say "Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate them." before the words lose all meaning?
I understand what you're saying, Paul, and yes, many times I feel guilty when I don't have time to say more than "thank you". However, we keep insisting that as writers, even the shortest of feedback like "loved it, want more!" is very meaningful to us. The same goes for an answer from the author imho. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Features Writer
Features Writer
Okay...

As a reader I do appreciate when the author takes a little of his/her time sending some counter-FDK (as I call it.) well, I do waste my time there sending them my impressions, but I do understand some don´t have the time (probably busy writing YAY!!!) to post something else.

As a writer, I usually reply to every suggestion, question or comment the reader has. Basically because I am always happy my stories were actually read by anyone. blush Er.. I don't have many fans <sighs> but the ones I have are very well treated, right stupidbraz' fans? rotflol

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
As a reader, I do my best to give feedback, but I wish I had time to give out more. As an author, I love feedback, especially constructive advice. Not that criticism can replace a good beta. I realize most people don't have the time to write as much as they'd like, but it helps me develop as an author. My dream is to become a professional author someday.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1 As a reader, I like to check the feedback posts to see if the author has responded to the comments. I think it’s impossible for an author to respond in detail to every post. RL just doesn’t allow the required time. However, I do believe that it is important for an author to acknowledge readers who have posted. A simple ‘thank you’ is all that is needed. One thing I don’t understand is when an author thanks a couple of people and ignores the rest.

Lack of time makes it impossible for me to make detailed comments. frown But I figure that a simple ‘please post more’ or ‘it’s great’ is better than no comment at all. At least this shows the author that I’m reading the story and appreciate their efforts.

And as for being late, I’m always late! goofy My main problem is the time difference. Most stories are posted early morning hours my time. I try to check the boards before I leave for work each morning. Sometimes new story posts already have several comments. Unfortunately I have to wait until I return home before I can even read the part. By that time, there are more comments and sometimes the author has already responded.

Tricia cool

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
As a reader: I only get back to reading the reply to the comments I left if I've suggested something and I want to see how the writer took it. Otherwise... only when I have plenty of time.

As a writer: At first, I hadn't realized I need to respond to comments. Now that I did, I do visit to respond. Usually, there's nothing more I can do than thank the readers for saying they liked the story. Plus I tend to think that if I somehow don't agree with their suggestions and post to say so, the reader will think "Geez! I just thought I'd give you an idea!". :rolleyes: I guess that's just me and my insecurities. Truth is, though, I don't get very thorough comments all that often. There's only one time where a story of mine initiated a very interesting debate (which ended up with me rewriting the story laugh ) and I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot.

Hope I made sense (have been studying Advanced Chemistry for an hour or so),
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I reader I'm thrilled if an indepth comment I may have made has touched an author enough that they replied, but I don't go looking for it cause I feel the authors are busy getting the next part up. That's sort of what's more important to me.

As an author I want to reply to every little thing people write and try to reply most usually to thank the people who have commented, knowing that they like my work humbles me completely and I want my readers to know that.

TEEEEEEEJ

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I checked the "Yes, it's important, and I feel guilty when I don't have time to say more than a simple thank you" option as an author. But I also wanted to point out that sometimes I don't know what to say besides thank you! I don't like to hint about things that are coming in upcoming posts, because frankly I don't know when they're coming and it seems mean to tease about it <g>. And I always feel completely inarticulate when it comes to expressing just how grateful I am that people are reading and enjoying something of mine.

If anyone's ever given me feedback and I've seemed less than overjoyed when I responded to it, please accept my apologies! I am honestly, honestly completely sincere every time I say thank you. I wish I could say it more eloquently than that, but I do mean it! More than I can say!

Does anyone else suffer this problem? Feeling guilty that all oyu can say is thank you? <g>

Kaylle

Columnist
Columnist
I always feel the same way, Kaylle. Whenever I reply to comments I want to thank everyone personally, but if you just say thank you thank you thank you thank you to each person that commented, it sort of loses its meaning and I feel like people are going to think I'm just saying it as a curtesy cause I feel like I have to or something. But I really do mean it. Comments always make my day! I just wish I had some better way to express that.

~Anna

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I like to see replies from the authors in their comment folders, but I too realize that sometimes there just isn't time. The authors who post here have my respect regardless, because they are doing something EXTRA... Not only are they reading fanfic and posts, making comments of their own, and maybe BRing for someone (or several someones!), they're also taking time away from RL to conceive and write fanfic for the rest of us. This is, no doubt, in addition to those tiresome things like work, the need for food and sleep, moving to another continent ( goofy ), etc...

As for question two: my response choice wasn't listed wink : If I found a muse, managed to put together a coherent plot, went to the trouble of posting, and got FDK, I would definitely try to reply when I could. But since I don't have a muse, and haven't had any plots (coherent or otherwise) occur to me (see "muse" part of the sentence above), the question is moot. (And my assigned muse is mute!)

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard