Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm curious - and I apologize in advance if this poll's been done already - but how to you readers like your stories posted? If a writer has a substantial buffer, do want him/her to start posting right away, and you'll deal with any gaps in posting that might occur if that buffer dwindles faster than the writer can write? Or would you rather the writer wait until they've finished the story so that there will be no gaps (and no writer sitting in the dark, pulling his/her hair out as he/she tries desperately to write under pressure)?

And writers - the flip side. Do you prefer to wait or are you willing to risk the dreaded Dwindling Buffer Syndrome?

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I read stuff as fast as I can get it smile

As for writing, I used to prefer not posting a single snippet until it was all finished, especially after I had a minor disaster with writing my way into a very very bad spot to be in, and then having no way to write myself back out, but I have since solved that problem, mostly, by outlining my stuff first.

WAM is the first story I've started posting before it was finished, but I gotta say, putting myself on a schedule and seeing feedback regularly is, in the end, I think making me write more quickly, and it's harder to scare myself off of finishing it when I know folks are waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for the rest of it. My writing style, in turn, is particularly conducive to posting serialy before it's finished, simply because I prefer to write in a linear fashion.

I *do* however, have to know exactly what is going to happen to my characters from start to finish before I'll even consider posting anything though, now or in the future. I hammer out pretty detailed outlines for my plots before I even start to think about writing them out. And then, even if I decide to make some changes midway through, at least I have a fallback.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure I can vote here, but I'll try to make my views on the matter clear. Clear-ish, at least.

Regularity is good. Nice to be able to count on the story being up on time.

Regularity is not everything. (Also, normal is boring and sanity is overrated.) If a part is a bit late, I'll live. I read on my own schedule anyway. (My own schedule being very mixed up and disorienting at the moment, but that's another matter.)

The boards are kind of like gamma readers. Or, they should be, IMHO. Not that they always work like that, but I still like to think of them that way. You post a story here to get extra FDK, and that FDK can help give you new ideas and point out little glitches and generally improve the story before you give it the final polish and send it to the archive.

If you're posting with a big buffer, that means we're more likely to see regular posts.

If you're posting without a net, that means we're seeing the freshest latest stuff and can have the biggest impact on how the story develops. ("Hey," says Reader X, "is Lois going to...?" <ding!> Lightbulb moment. Hadn't even though of that... <edit, edit, write...> -- Not that that happens often, but it's pretty cool when it does, I think.)

If a story goes on hiatus, I'm disappointed, but I'll pick it back up. Probably. I waited months for the next part of In Dreams, but I jumped to read it as soon as I saw it. I'm still waiting for the next part of Irene's New Heights. Sure, I had to go look up the title, and I'll have to refresh my memory before I can read on, but it'll be well worth it. On the other hand, sometimes I lose track of stories and never pick them up again. (I really need to go read the rest of Lifeflight one of these days. I was loving that story before I temporarily dropped off the face of FoLCdom...) Or sometimes I lose track of stories, think I won't pick them up again, then go "D'oh!" and scramble to catch up. It depends on the story and my life and mood and how busy the boards are and random things.

For myself, I rarely write stories that are more than a couple parts long. When I do, I prefer to write on the fly. Makes it more exciting. Helps motivate me. Keeps Timmy (who is very capricious) interested.

That's just my style, though.

Ultimately, it's up to you. There are advantages either way. Do what feels right and comfortable to you. Write, post. On your schedule and your terms. It's your story. If you need to take a break, odds are pretty good I'll be waiting.

That make any sense?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I prefer no gaps, but having gaps doesn't usually upset me. As a writer, I've left people hanging before, so I know how it is. Whether or not I'll start reading again, when the story comes back, is another question. I'll be first in line to read Long Strange Trip (even after it had a gap of over a year) -- and I'm still hopeful for more Imbalance -- but there are lots of other stories where I've just lost interest. It depends on my interest level and my available time.

As a writer, I never used to be able to wait to start posting, though I might make myself build up some sort of buffer. (Back when Zoomway first opened message boards, I posted a story part per day and finished the whole thing in just over a week. Of course, that story required a *lot* of editing before it hit the archive... <g> ) But more recently, I've been feeling more cautious and wanting to wait til a story is finished.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I picked the responses that fitted my attitudes most closely, but here's the real answer <g>.

As a reader, I like a regular, two-to-three day posting schedule. A longer schedule is just about okay too, but the biggie for me is when a writer has to break their schedule. I don't mind if they do, but I like to be told about it. Preferably I like them to tell me roughly how long I might have to wait until the story reappears, because there's nothing more aggravating than not knowing when the next part of a story you're avidly reading is due. Honestly, I turn into a total internet junkie when I don't know when the next story part is due - I check the boards at every available moment of the day - and I really don't like being a junkie <g>.

As a writer, I try to deliver what I like as a reader. However, I sometimes fail, because I find it difficult to time well the point when I start posting. I often start posting a little too early, and then have to slow down my schedule or stop posting altogether. Once I ended up writing like a mad woman every spare minute of the day and hassling my poor beta to get stuff back to me as quickly as possible, but these days, I'll rather just take a break than put myself and my friends through that!

Finally, I'm one of those who like to post while I'm still writing, because the feedback is useful and it maintains my enthusiasm to keep writing. If only I could get the timing of that first post right! smile

Yvonne

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
First of all, Lynn, razz (Don't worry, Nan, I'm enjoying every minute of it! laugh ) Yvonne...well, do I even need to explain that one? I think everyone else felt the same way when we saw Damaged part one posted. thumbsup (Just don't tell anyone that it scares the crap outta me. frown )

Sara (who might have more to add later...that is unless you all think I've rambled too much laugh )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, first of all, laugh , Rambo I am not anymore. If I write something, it's going to be finished before anyone sees it. Although...with longer stories I've written for other fandoms (no, that'll never happen here), I was Rambo solely because of the fact that I found FDK helpful for a long story.

Second, I am a fanfic JUNKIE. I love to read. I cannot emphasize the need for a 12 step program enough. I'll read anything when it comes to posting, time permitting. You guys can post a part a year if you want, and I'll read it. I'll have to reread it often, but I'll do it!

JD
FARCE isn't such a bad idea. smile

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Question 1:
I voted for "I don't mind gaps." I can generally handle a gap. Yes, I'll nag - but that has nothing to do with it laugh If it's a story I like, I'll follow it - and, as I know that RL and writer blocks can be *very* annoying, I'll follow it even if it means going through a gap.
To be honest, though, lately I prefer not reading long WIPs from the boards. When I first joined, I read each and every part posted from each and every story. But I had to stop that because I had to stay up late and my father complained razz Reading completed stories, otoh, allows me to read them when I have time. At this stage of my life, I like following one or two stories (just so that I'm not completely left out) but I can't cope with all of them.

The above cover the second question too: I'm a lovely, kind person laugh

Question 3:
Now this is going to sound weird:
So far, I've posted three stories in parts.
The first one, I wrote as I went. Which meant that I posted about 110 pages in... one year and a half.
The second one, I started posting when I had a buffer. I ran out of buffer quickly, and then posted as I went. (Now it's finished to be BRed)
The third one (which was a two-parter) I wrote it and then posted it. And then it needed major re-writing.

Conclusion: Don't ask me what I prefer, because it seems like nothing works for me huh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't post because I'm not good with grammer and mushy things. I leave the mushy stuff to my co-partner in writing Clark Kent goofy aka Lisa.

Althought I think we might need a Perry white in the team.

Before I teamed up with Lisa, my stories had a lot of gaps in the places where the emotional stuff should go. My writing styple is probably more closer to Lois Lane's, all facts. I'm prabably good at writing text books then actual stories.

It wouldn't be my fault also if my series don't connect. The archives reps have only accepted my stories #1, 2, & 4 out of 23.

And finally, I like the thank Lisa profusely for her partnership. In my terminology, "I thank you to the 24th power". Meaning, I thank lisa twenty-four times.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to admit, I fall in the 'forgetful' pile--where if I am reading and the author stops posting regularly, I'll most likely have to go back and re-read. (Not that I mind!) But I do usually need a refresher. I prefer when things are posted fairly regularly, but I'm not there with a stopwatch. I'd say, if parts are coming out and you can expect one a week at least, that's a good goal. If it's sooner, all the better! But if, say, several months go by, I curl up into a ball and start to cry, mourning the loss of a good read, and hoping it doesn't make it into Maria's "Coma, Life Support, Napping..." list.

As a writer, I'd never post something that wasn't complete. For one, you can never guess when RL will pop up out of no-where and prevent you from writing. My W.I.P. was started last October and I thought (ha! ha! ha!) it might be done by November! ( 11 months later... ) Had I started posting in November, I'd have been feeling awfully guilty. :p In addition, many times my stories shift focus from my original idea, and I like to put in details in the beginning that carry throughout, give "clues" or provide foreshadowing for things to come. If I haven't gotten that far, I'd be leaving out what I consider to be vital detailing.

Interesting poll, and quality choices! rotflol
--Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't mind gaps when reading. If they're not there I create them because my job doesn't give me much free time for fandom stuff, and so much to my frustration, I can't always read regularly. frown

For the same reason, I can't write regularly. I once tried to fly by the seat of my pants. After about 10 sections it became very difficult for me, so much that I started forcing the story instead of letting the Muse have her way. As a result, I became less and less satisfied with the story, and I had to stop writing and post a big apology to my readers. Because I've been pretty upset by that experience, the story is still a WIP I haven't touched since.

And so that's why I wait until I'm finished to start posting. However, I couldn't tick the option saying the story was polished and carved in stone. It's really not. A decent draft of the story is finished, but suggestions are taken into account and changes are made throughout the posting, thanks to my readers' comments. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't like gaps but tolerate them pretty well. wink As long as Lois and Clark aren't in a clinch, ready to..uh..oops..PG forum! blush

If I'm enjoying a story and it's hooked me it doesn't matter if I have to re-read b/c it's worth it! smile

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know Iā€™m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: Iā€™m trying to be nice.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm wishing I could use the dwindling buffer as my excuse, but that doesn't work for me cause I just do a ton of file swapping from home computer to work computer to post stuff. I was kinda hating to read this poll cause I got a story going and I'm horribly stuck with where I'm at. The section I have is postable in length but it sucks straight up.

So I got no complaints if a writer has a gap...I know how it feels for whatever reason and I can only be humbly grateful for the butt kicking and nags I receive from those faithful enough to stick with a work in progress. notworthy

TEEEEEEEJ

Top Banana
Top Banana
What *really* drives me bananas is a) when I know a story is complete but the author is posting it incredibly slowly, or b) when I know a story is in the works and I'm dying to read it but I can't because the author wants to finish it before he or she posts. wink

But hey, I can be patient. I am patience personified. I am the very essence of patience. Patience, indeed, is my middle name. Honestly.

Yvonne P Connell

lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yvonne, I can see what you mean about being frustrated when a writer posts a finished story in parts, and very slowly no less. But although I'm one of the writers who really likes to have the entire story done before I start posting, I kind of like the posting-in-bits practice. Reason being, if I myself am confronted with a story fed to me in 15 or so page bits on a regular basis, I can manage it. But if I see the same story as a whole and realize it's a 200 page epic, I would panic and think that I'd never have the time to read it, and therefore might not start.

I'll admit that setting up this poll was a way for me to relieve some mixed feelings I'm going through. I have a good portion of a WIP ready to go, but my brain is telling me to wait until I'm finished. It knows the panic I'd be experiencing in a few weeks when I encounter the dreaded DBS and for whatever reason can't manage to spew out a single coherent sentence. I've been in that pure panic mode before, and it is not condusive to my muse <g>.

But the antsy, hedonistic part of me is ready to get going. I've been stewing on it so long, I feel like I need to get it out there already. To see if there's enough interest to keep going (although that could turn around to bite me if there isn't interest). It's going to be another good month or two until I'm completely finished, and somehow I just can't seem to wait that long.

I wanted to get a pulse on what readers like and will tolerate and what other writers do, so my brain and my heart can take up sides and duke it out properly. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Okay, I rememebered, though now it doesn't seem so witty anymore. :p

Question 2: I picked other because I completely understand DBS...though I didn't give myself much of a head start and went ahead and posted too quickly. goofy So, dead stories...yeah, I mind...but gaps I can live with. But like Anna...I can't promise I won't nag. laugh

I *do* however, have to know exactly what is going to happen to my characters from start to finish before I'll even consider posting anything though, now or in the future.
I just wanted to say that I admire and envy Diane for not only having a steady buffer, but an outline as well. Man! I wish I had that...though I guess then I'd miss out on those lightbulb moments Paul mentioned. (Yes, readers, I *do* listen...and *no* Clark is *not* coming back in the next part. Not even if you beg. evil )

And to Lynn...how's this? I'll add one more story to my teensie weensie list of posted stories if you start posting! How's that? laugh wink

Rambo (who wasn't aware until now that her pants had wings huh who knew?!)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I donĀ“t mind gaps... really... Well I hate waiting, but I guess thats the cool thing about it..

As a reader, well.. sara, sqd and jenny make me go under sleeping pills everytime they keep me waiting for another part of their stories. But thatĀ“s cool... for now... when their stories get into a climax... iĀ“ll need some really heavy sh... to keep waiting..

As a writer, IĀ“ve had a bad experience with Even Steel Melts. IĀ“ve worked under pressure.. not from the readerĀ“s thought but my own. Now IĀ“ve learned that I need a huge buffer to be posting again. I have a new story that has sth like 70 pages done but IĀ“m still not confortable with that anyway.

Maybe a few dozens more and that will be cool.

MDL laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have a good portion of a WIP ready to go, but my brain is telling me to wait until I'm finished.
Well, this beta is telling you to wait until it's all done and dusted and packaged up into neat little pink bows too, Lynn.

That way, I can remain one of the few who's read this wonderful, angsty, traumatic, waffy, witty, lyrical and just plain superb story for even longer and keep on being very smug about it.

What? What are you all looking at me like that for?

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Lab,

razz razz razz razz razz razz razz

AnnaBtG. laugh

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, Lynn. smile Yep, I totally agree that receiving a long story in parts is much easier to digest than trying to read the whole thing all at once. I guess it's just a tricky juggling act between posting often enough to keep impatient people like me happy, and spacing the posts out sufficiently to give people time to read them and give feedback.

I'm also extremely familiar with that head/heart struggle - my heart usually wins, unfortunately, which is why I end up scrambling to keep pace with my own posting schedule. If you can keep a cool head and wait until you're finished writing - aided and abetted by that irritatingly smug rodent smile - then I take my hat off to you!

Yvonne smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard