Next Thread
Print Thread
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
My friend asked me this, and it got me thinking for a moment. I'll post the question here.

Poll: When I say "last July", do you understand me to mean this year's or last year's July?

For FoLCs who know their grammar inside out, I have one more question: Which is the more technically correct answer?

twins
metwin1

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I'm not a native English speaker, but that's how I get it:

From August 2003 to July 2004: Last July = July 2003.
From August 2004 to July 2005: Last July = July 2004.

And so on.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Last July, for me, would be July 2003. "We went on that trip to Fife last July."

If I was talking about July 2004, I'd simply say something like, "We went on that trip to Fife in July."

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
IMHO, 'Last July' would be the last July that has completely passed. Once it's completely over, it's 'Last July.'

As of August 1, 2004, 'Last July' was July 2004.

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Ditto LabRat. That's exactly how I would interpret it.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Last and next are notorious words in these contexts. My mother had a stamp convention to go to in Cincinnati. "Next weekend," she says on Monday the 9th. Meaning the weekend of the 22-23, because the 14-15 was "this weekend." Come thursday the 12th, she says, "Remember that convention next weekend? It's this weekend. I'm going to Cincinnati tomorrow."

The lesson is that when you're using this/next/last in these contexts, and you need to be sure, ask for the date!!! :p

I, personally, would say, today, August 15th, 2004, that last July is July of 2003. If I'm referring to July of 2004, I'd say simpy "July" or sometimes "Last month." I would rarely say "this July" (right now) because, for me at least, "this" is usually indicative of future.

(Although, sometimes not.

"I went to California in July."

"This July?"

"Yes, this July. As in last month, a couple weeks ago, can't you tell by my non-existent tan how recent it was, this July." )

My two-cents.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard