Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#233780 07/13/04 03:07 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've just been watching an old movie and noticed the diffrence in the writing techniques between the old and the new shows. According to how old movies are written and the new. Do you prefer...

#233781 07/14/04 05:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Those options are a bit biased, don't you think? I can like newer movies which are well-written without "loving" sex, violence, and swearing.

Trust me, there were tons of lousy movies before 1995 goofy

Let's see, some of my favorites... "Back to the Future" 1985... very cleverly written, very little sex (some innuendo), some swearing and violence. "Shrek" 2001 -- very cleverly written, very little sex (some innuendo), some cartoonish violence ... was there swearing? I can't remember.

But then I also really like old movies like Holiday, or His Girl Friday. The African Queen is great. huh Good movies are where you find them.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#233782 07/14/04 06:24 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, I couldn't vote because of the way the questions are worded. Not all movies made after 1985 contain sex, swearing and/or violence. In fact, perhaps that's why you, Kitty, haven't enjoyed any current movies - you've been watching the wrong ones. And conversly, just off the top of my head I can think of two movies made before 1985 that contained enormous amounts of violence - "Jaws" and "The Godfather."

As for older movies, I think I might be too much a product of the MTV generation because I often find that they tend to drag. There are several that I do love ("Wizard of Oz," "Sound of Music," anything where I get to watch Gene Kelly dance), but quite often I'll cozy up to a "classic" and wonder, after I've finished watching, what all the fuss was about.

My favs after 1985 that contain neither explicit sex, swearing, or any violence, at least no more than you might find in an earlier-made movie (although there are several movies that I do love that have a little bit of the above <g>)

"Sense and Sensibility"
"Vision Quest"
"She's Having a Baby"
"The Man in the Moon"
"American President"
"The Cutting Edge"
"Steel Magnolias"

OK - I just realized that this list could get rather long, so I'll just stop here. Suffice it to say, there is plenty of very good entertainment made recently as well as older films that will always be great to watch.

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#233783 07/14/04 07:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And may I just add, the idea that movies made in the 80s are "old" is just... goofy

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#233784 07/14/04 11:04 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree here. The 80's isn't old. And there still was some sex and swearing in the 80's (kind of funny watching The Breakfast Club on AMC, and watching what language they change. Same with The Goonies). It was just starting to become a bit more mainstream in the 80's. Before the 80's, you didn't see quite so much as you do now. There *are* exceptions, especially in the 60's and 70's, but not much before that.

And, to quote some books I've read, why do the younger generations think they invented sex? Sure, actual nudity is a bit more normal to see in today's movies (and same still goes for the 80's... Was Roadhouse 80's or 90's?), but sex is everywhere. Look at the Bond movies. Heck, there's even a lot of "canoodling" in the old Bing Crosby/Bob Hope movies of the 50's.

As to what I prefer? It really depends on the movies. I'll settle in and watch any Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Bob Hope, or Fred Astaire movie (my fav Christmas movie is "White Christmas"). There's a quite a few movies from the 80's that I love, and some that I refuse to watch. Same goes with any other era. But I don't discriminate by year.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#233785 07/14/04 03:39 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well at least I don't know of any movies that are made now a days has some form of voilance (e.g. Buffy) and/or swearing. Even using the word 'God' in a sort of ungood manner is consider as swearing to me. I'm extremely old fashioned.

I like shows that doesn't even have one singel swear word in it.

I even consider the show "baby's day out" is gross because there was a section where the baby sets the man's pants on fire. Gross! It makes my mind go to uncharted territory. If you can take the hint.

#233786 07/14/04 04:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm surprised you even watch L&C then, Kitty. They've used several "swear words" on the show. Just take a look at "Individual Responsibility." "G*d" and "D*mn" are both used. (Sorry for the asterisks, just not sure what this board screens.) And there's a ton of violence on L&C... things are always getting blown up or destroyed, guys have been kicked in places better left unmentioned, and so on and so forth.

(Not that I'm complaining, I love everything about the show!)

Molly
#233787 07/14/04 04:47 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
No TV show or movie can ever please every one. If you don't like it YOU have the power to turn it off. It's like the FCC going after EVERYONE. They're even censoring PBS now all because Janet Jackson flashed people. Yes it was wrong, indecent for the event etc, but why must we all suffer now?

People say L&C was a family show, I never saw it that way...if it was, I would have never watched it. Probably why my fanfic is the way it is, and you have the power there too, TO NOT READ IT!

They're just words, and sometimes men deserve to be kicked there. I know a few all too well.

#233788 07/14/04 05:18 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I've been a movie nut for over 60 years, and it doesn't matter when it was made or if it's in color or b&w as long as it is written well and tells a compelling story about believable characters. If sex and profanity are integral to the story telling and the characters, I'm not bothered. When they are gratuitous and over-emphasized, then I don't think the movie is any good no matter when it was made, although more recent films seem to be made by people who've never heard of subtlety and think that excess is good. Actors, writers and directors are the keys to good film making for me, not special effects or shock. There have been very few films in the 21st century that I've found worth the ticket price, but ever since people began making movies, there have been good ones and bad ones. When they were made is not so important as how they are made and what they have to say. At least that's the way I see it.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#233789 07/14/04 07:53 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
When I think of the 80s, I think of the horror and teen age flicks. Here are some 1980s examples:
Friday the 13th
Jason
Rambo
Rocky
Any Van Damm movie
Beverly Hills Cop...
Die Hard
The Breakfast Club
Terminator
Nerds....

To me there were always loads of sex, nudity....

Do you remember the Charles Manson movies? I think that's what they were called. I was born in 1977 and I feel I grew up with violence in just the same way that kids do today. It is just in a different format.

When I was a kid I hated the teenage flicks - because it was all about kissing and sex. LOL. I stuck with PBS, Transformers and Punkie Brewster, for example.

When I think of old movies I think of the 40s to the 60s. I was in for a shock when I found out what you where calling old! laugh

Sex and violence, to me, is part of the human condition... they are everywhere in some way.

I chose other as you can tell.

I'm a gal who likes all sort of movies...but I'll only watch horror at Hallowe'en.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#233790 07/15/04 04:37 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm surprised you even watch L&C then, Kitty. They've used several "swear words" on the show. Just take a look at "Individual Responsibility." "G*d" and "D*mn" are both used.
I don't. I used to watch it just to oogel at Dean. Who said I was watching Lois & Clark for Lois and Clark. I'm not a Lois and Clark fan at all.

No TV show or movie can ever please every one. If you don't like it YOU have the power to turn it off. It's like the FCC going after EVERYONE. They're even censoring PBS now all because Janet Jackson flashed people. Yes it was wrong, indecent for the event etc, but why must we all suffer now?
I know. That is why the only shows I watch are about Home Improvement.

#233791 07/15/04 04:58 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You are not a Lois and Clark Fan? Are you a fan of fanfiction?

(I don't know why, but for some reason I feel a little hurt.)

#233792 07/15/04 06:30 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I used to watch it just to oogel at Dean. Who said I was watching Lois & Clark for Lois and Clark. I'm not a Lois and Clark fan at all.
Not a Lois and Clark fan at all!? Well, Kitty, please don't take offense at my next question, but...why are you even here posting on these message boards then? Zoom's has the Dean forum, but this one is focused on the show itself.

Now I have ogled at Dean as much as - if not more than - the next person, and I make a point of watching movies and guest appearances that he makes, no matter how bad the material. cat I'll certainly be watching "Clubhouse" this fall, and I have my fingers crossed that it will do well.

But I am most certainly a "Lois & Clark" fan. smile The portrayals of Dean and Teri truly brought these characters to life for me, and no matter what other work Dean does, this will always be a highlight for me. I am a fan of the first two Superman movies as well, but I fell head over heels for the Clark Kent we saw on the show. Clark - not Dean. And that's why I love fanfiction so much as well, because reading so many wonderful stories helps keep all these characters alive for me.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#233793 07/16/04 02:55 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay, the reason I visit here is I'm addicted to writing stories, no matter how small it is and I believe there are very good ideas and writers here too.

I don't see any SeaQuest fanfic website or other writing site that I could get interested in. I don't have other hobbies besides wrapping gifts that are so beautiful that no one wants to open it. No other hobbies not even a physical activity either. Now how sad is that or maybe just lonely. Who knows.

#233794 07/16/04 08:10 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I fell head over heels for the Clark Kent we saw on the show. Clark - not Dean.
Me too.

I like to wrap presents and that happens to me too.... blush laugh

#233795 07/16/04 08:40 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't know why, but for some reason I feel a little hurt
ooo.. eek that hurt me too Roo. I just couldnt think someone would be here for any other reason but let´s try to live in peace, right? laugh

It´s good to have you around Kitty. Perhaps you could tell us in what you´re working now and let us have a little idea of what you´re talking about. smile1

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#233796 07/17/04 03:57 AM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
It´s good to have you around Kitty. Perhaps you could tell us in what you´re working now and let us have a little idea of what you´re talking about
Not to give too much of the story away. I'm currently working on a story with Lisa where Crystal had a L.D. that is not commonly known.

These are the old short stories that I've written.

Lois and Clark Series1:
1. Sour blood [archived]
2. It's the government...
3. Everyone has an Angel [archived]
4. A concubine's story [archived]
5. Poisoned
6. Alternative#26(alternative Clark's addiciton)
7. Fountain of Youth (Jimmy grows younger)
8. My fair Orient [Archived]
9. Time Tech (Clark supposed death)
10. Triune (plague brought to earth)
11. Universal Code(Lex switches universes)
12. Alien Species 1&2
14. Android Delima (An android contemplates)
15. U19 (U18 helps clark of U19)
16. Meet the Deles (Beth's parent's visit)
17. New earth (A new planet similar to earth's is
18. Final Front...1&2
20. Reversing Tide (Superhumans)
21. Winfoils (Clark returns with wings!)
22. Xeloanians(Carbon Dioxide and Monoxide aliens)
23. Grobecks (Planet of animal people)

Misscelanious Lois and Clark:
1. Switched at birth
2. To cake or not to cake [archived]
3.Utopia 1: When Neighbors unite(return of Sunday)
4.Utopia 2: Forgiveness (Joey Kent rapes Beth)
5.Utopia 3: Tolerance [unfinished]
6. Lost Child(CrystalKentDealing w/her disability)

Lois and Clark Series 2:
1. Terror Reverted 1&2
3. Mutaint
4. Tezarian (detail of An alien where the F=M&M=F)
5. Fair Trade(NewKryptonian'sTradeMarket w/earth)

#233797 07/17/04 06:57 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I prefer old movies and adore much older movies than your options allow. I enjoy silents (Buster Keaton, Lorna Doone, The Crowd, etc.,), the DeNiro classics (Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, etc.,), comedies (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Blazing Saddles, Blithe Spirit, etc.,) and many more.

My reason for liking the old movies is because back then, Barbara Stanwyck showed more emotion without dropping one article of clothing than you'll see in all the movies playing at the local theater - combined. And the whole family could watch a movie together.

#233798 07/17/04 07:00 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I put "other" - my favorite movies are all pre 1980. I love the movies of the 1940s-1950s best! Especially Marilyn Monroe movies!! --WD

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#233799 07/18/04 07:16 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Great Kitty,

I´ll try to find them. are any of them in the archive or all here? smile1

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard