Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#233675 06/22/04 02:42 PM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
A lot of you may have seen the article in the Toronto Star that addressed how television shows are kept alive long after they go off the air thanks to fanfic. That all got me to thinking how people view fanfic in general. I know some writers of fanfic are reluctant to tell their family and/or friends that they do so because they're afraid they'll be laughed at. Others are downright proud of their efforts.

So how do you view fanfic?

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Okay, I voted "other" for the first one. Almost went for guilty pleasure, but it didn't quite seem accurate. I guess it depends on who I'm talking to. Among my friends, I have no qualms about going on and on about fanfic and sharing links and telling them about such-and-such great story I read. Of course, all my close friends are either a) fanfic readers/writers themselves or b) used to me by now. wink

I've learned a little more caution with 'outsiders,' though. I think we in the L&C world tend to have a higher view of fanfic in general than it actually deserves. No, I don't think our view of *L&C* fanfic is higher than it deserves -- we have incredible authors, incredible beta readers, and an incredible archive. Not to mention the wonderful people and relationships most of us enjoy. I love that aspect of our fandom.

However, I recently became...um...how shall I put this? Obsessed. O:-) With Highlander, the tv show. And so, naturally, I went out to find fanfic. <gasp> Oh, my goodness. The horror! The horror! Okay, so I did find a few gems -- a *few.* But overall, the quality of fanfic out there on the net is nowhere near as good as what we experience here. I don't doubt that it has to do with how easy it is for people to post to the internet -- unlike our archive, there are no standards for most fanfic sites, and little to no encouragement to improve one's writing skills.

Because of that, most people who aren't active in a fandom, who know very little about fanfic...have probably only been exposed to The Horror that is out there. And so I sometimes am wary about telling them I am a fanfic writer, because I don't want them to shove me in the "silly teenaged wanna be who really can't write worth a darn" category. Though I definitely have my moments of silliness, and I'm a 'wanna be author' (for now...just wait!), I sure hope I'm not a 'can't write worth a darn' candidate.

Um...what was the question again? Oh, yeah. The reason I didn't vote for guilty pleasure was because of the 'nothing to brag about' part -- I think many of our authors, including Kerth winners, nominees, and some of the other great ones that somehow got passed over, certainly deserve to brag. They work hard and do a great job.

Part two -- I voted no. Not that I think fanfic is necessarily *easier* than original fic, but I wouldn't say it's harder, either. While fanfic has an audience already familiar with the characters, with expectations, with original fiction the audience has the expectation that the author will fully flesh out his/her creations. When writing fanfic, we can put in 'implied past' all the time and the reader knows what we're talking about -- and we often don't have to create that implied past. Whereas with an original character/fic, not only do we have to come up with the character and plot, we also have to make up said character's entire backstory. And in an original fic, that has to be done for *every* character. As I'm in the process of revising my novel for the umpteenth time, I can assure you -- that's *hard.*

I go through phases though -- between "I want to be a published author and so I'm focusing all my energy on original stuff so that I can get it published" and "ooh, ooh, idea! It's fanfic...tough, let's write!" (currently in the latter...with two long fics. smile )

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
just a very quick reply before I drag myself off to bed... on your second question, Lynn, I voted "other." Is writing fanfic harder than writing original fic? Yes and no, for all the reasons you mentioned smile

PJ
(Bethy, I promise I'll read your post tomorrow; it's too long for me tonight huh )

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted 'other' for question one. I almost picked the first one: It's an art form unto itself. Writers should be proud. Readers should tell nonreaders about great stories they've encountered.

Our writers have written simply fabulous stories, and every single one of them should be darn proud. Even stories I've written that aren't my favorite I'm still proud of because I love being involved in such a great activity with wonderful people.

However, my friends and family aren't into this kind of stuff, so they'd look at me like I've jumped off the deep end. I still remember them thinking along those lines when the show was on. Not to mention the fact that my folks would be immediately convinced you are all axe murders waiting to ficus the next unsuspecting visitor to the boards.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
The way I see fanfic (L&C fanfic, anyway), it's story-writing. In the case of some stories, novel writing. razz ) as garbage. I won't get into it.

And whenever I say something about meeting a FoLC, people warn me about axe murderers, child molesters, rapists, internet wackos, etc. Doesn't help when I say that IMO it's a little bit too much effort to watch the show, write stories and make friends, make me trust you, and then kill me. goofy Although there are exceptions (I've heard stories), and I know to be careful (I'm not stupid), I like to think you aren't hooligans. <g>

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted for the second option on the first question. It's nice to read and write fanfic. To me, it doesn't matter if people want to become published writers or just do it for fun. As long as people are enjoying themself.

I do think we've been spoiled here. We have so many excellent writers and stories with very few spelling and grammar mistakes. Everytime I read stories in another fandom (Buffy, Angel or Harry), I cringe at the lower standarts. Of course there are also excellent ones there, but it's harder to find them. So I'm proud to be a FoLC even though hardly anyone in my RL knows about it. They just don't understand, and have weird ideas about online people. wink

As to the second question, I voted for other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. In fanfic, the characters have a background already, and you know how they'll react in a certain situation, and your readers know that. That can be easy, but hard on the same time. With original stuff, you really have to explain your characters, make them real for the reader, and understandable. That can be hard, but the good thing is that the characters will do what you tell them to do. If you're like me, with many people and ideas in your head, it can be hard to write that down. The characters I have in my head are alive for me, I'm not sure how they'd do on paper.

So for now, I'll write fic. Seems easier for me at this point, and far more enjoyable. smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am not a writer (would that I were frown ), so I will answer from the point of view of the reader.

Q1 - I guess option 2, but, in a way, option 1, also. If well done, it is a work of art. If poorly done, it makes the reader cringe. But that can be said of any genre of literature.

Q2 - When I read fanfic, I apply every criteria I would to judge *any* short story (grammatically correct, well-written, interesting, imaginative use of language or ability to 'turn a phrase', ability to create a mental image, etc.) I wouldn't call a story good fanfic unless it were good fiction, period. But, to be good fanfic, there is the additional requirement that it be true to character. So, in this sense, I would say, "Harder."

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When I found LC fan fic I was in heaven, I missed the show and a lot of people here have the talent to spin an episode with the characters I love and am familiar with, so it's kind of like watching an episode in my head when I read it.

When I thought about writing, I worried a lot about not meeting the characters form, as in I didn't think I'd get their characteristics right, but I hoped that I knew enough about the show that I would be close and still weave a good tale that people would enjoy.

What's great about the community is that you guys are forgiving and helpful. I get a lot of insight from the critiques I read and receive. And having people say they like what I write just boosts the ego enough to encourage me to write more. While writing was always a hobby for me, it's cool to actually do it and entertain others with it.

I'm not sure if this really answers the questions, I obviously chose "others" on both questions so I hope it's explanatory enough.

TEEEEEEJ

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
In the first question, I voted for the first option, although I was between the two first options. I believe that fanfic is an art form, just like every other form of writing. Sure, not all fanfic is high quality. But fanfic is a new kind of writing, compared to the others, and it's only natural that there are stories that aren't as good as other stories are. After all, in all kinds of art there are good and bad 'oeuvres' (can't remember the English word).

In the second question, I voted for 'Other'. It's neither easy nor difficult. For example, established characters and situations can help one get their ideas, but the writer will always run the risk of getting out of character. Same happens with all the other characteristics of fanfic; sometimes they're helpful, and other times they put obsatcles in the writer's way.

Interesting poll smile
AnnaBtG. smile

P.S.: I know my opinions coicide with others mentioned previously, but I wanted to write it nonetheless laugh

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I voted 'Other' on question 1 because I think more than one answer applies to how I view Fanfic. I do think that Fanfic is an art form in itself, and I do take pleasure in the stories that I've written, but it's a guilty pleasure. Most of my friends hardly watch television much less become obsessed with a show about Superman. Even my family think I'm weird to write about a defunct TV show. My kids (grown up and over 35) are always polite and say they want to read my latest, but they never comment. I think to them it's just one of Mom's old-age-wackos.

For me, the enjoyment is in the craft of writing, and I especially like writing for Lois's character. But writing for Fanfic is much easier than writing general fiction. My son, who just read my last story, commented that he noticed that writers in the Fanfic genre expect readers to know about the characters when they begin reading, and that is so true. Coming up with an A plot is difficult enough, but having to create your own characters is murder. dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
laugh

When I first read the topic, I was expecting chioces like "on my computer screen," "printed on paper," and "downloaded to my PDA."

rotflol

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not to mention the fact that my folks would be immediately convinced you are all axe murders waiting to ficus the next unsuspecting visitor to the boards.
Darn! There goes that plan... What gave us away??? goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
*points to the ficus peeking out behind Pam*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ficus? what ficus? <innocent look> I don't have any ficus behind me... excuse me a second for a second, will you? I've got to water this plant over here, which isn't a ficus at all. Really. It's a... fern. Yeah, that's it. A harmless friendly fern... A thirsty fern. Self gets very thirsty. It's a fact. Not a ficus. So I'll just go take care of that...

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just had to add... belatedly...

Ficus? What ficus, where? I don't see no ficus, do you?

Mere laugh

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I answered other for the first one...why? Well, it's a guilty pleasure that I *sometimes* tell people about. My muse sometimes sneaks up on me in the bar (I know blush ) so I've taken to bringing my notebook with me. Now, I could say it's just homework, but there's this thing that happens. When I'm writing a really emotional scene, whether it be happy or sad, my facial expression sort of gives it away. I'm only a little embarrassed when I tell people what I'm writing. I do get a few weird looks though.

As for question two, I've always had an easier time writing fanfic than anything else (with the exception of poetry). I like that while you can alter the universe(s), the background and characters are already set up for you. I took a creative writing class this past semester and though I tried to resist, I ended up giving into my muse and writing a fanfic for one of the stories (one that the whole class got to read dizzy ). You all should have seen me trying to justify why Superman was crying, why Perry sounded so 'country-fied', and...well...I didn't really try to explain why L&C were going to wait until their wedding night and then didn't. wink Other people just don't understand!

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Blogger
Blogger
I voted "guilty pleasure" on the first one, though it's not exactly the words I would use:P
Most of my friends have no idea about the intense worlds of fandoms or fanfic, so I usually just keep my mouth shut about that stuff in public...

-You've got serious thrill issues, duuude!

-- Crush (Finding Nemo)

-After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure.

--Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Chief, dizzy

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry to confuse you, MDL smile A ficus or a fern is a house plant (see Meredith's avatar; that's a ficus), and we have a shared imaginary ficus. It's gotten to be kind of a running joke around here. It's even made its way into fanfic, most prominently in Meredith's story "Fact or Ficus" wink

Maybe we ought to explain the ficus in the FAQ, you know, just so people will know we're not insane... err, scratch that. I don't think that's the kind of explanation that will help convince anyone of our sanity goofy

PJ
who's now tempted to go to the archive and google on "ficus"...

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hehehe...

Thanks Chief notworthy

I think the FAQ thing would help me with some of the expressions around here... But in time, I will learn them all.

Thanks..

MDL. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard