BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I'm bored at work, so here's a fun poll for everyone. smile

#233582 06/04/04 07:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was kind of funny to me at first. I use the word 'folks' at least twenty times a day, so when I started using 'folcs,' I had to laugh once in a while. Now it's all old hat to me. wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#233583 06/05/04 08:51 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I wouldn't say 'odd', although I just can't help but thinking about 'FoLCs' when I read about 'folks'.

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#233584 06/05/04 02:27 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I think I am really weird! Okay, we all knew that.

I never new people pronounced FoLCs like folks until last summer when I met other FoLCs for the first time. I had always (and still do) said (okay, never outloud -- just in my mind or in typing) all of the letters -- like F-O-L-C's -- and never even thought of it as an actual word -- and never associated it with the word folk.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#233585 06/08/04 03:36 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Like Laura, I never pronounce "folcs" like "folks". I tend to say it (yes, out loud) as "fah-licks". I also don't use "folks" in normal conversation. Maybe it's a regional thing? huh

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#233586 06/08/04 06:01 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Having been born and raised in the South, I use the word 'folks' frequently, even though I no longer live in that part of the country. When I talk about folcs, I always spell it out: We are f-o-l-cs. It always catches me by surprise when I read "I'm a folc." I always write 'an folc' because of the ef sound.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#233587 06/08/04 09:20 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've just realised I don't pronounce it folk either. I tend to say 'foal-k', definitely producing the 'l' in the middle.

And 'an FoLC' just sounds plain weird. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#233588 06/09/04 01:03 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I've just realised I don't pronounce it folk either. I tend to say 'foal-k', definitely producing the 'l' in the middle.
You mean the 'l' in folk isn't pronounced?

Every day I learn something new...

AnnaBtG.

#233589 06/09/04 02:44 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think it depends on what accent you're talking about, Anna. I've always pronounced folks/FOLCs with an "l" sound in them.

I don't think I ever said it spelled-out, though I know some people who did -- I liked the play on words. We're not just any old folks, we're FOLCs! <g> Plus I had a case of nickname-envy -- the X-File fans in the forum next door called themselves X-Philes, which I thought was brilliant.

I tended to pronounce the other acronyms as words, too, come to think of it -- "Home is Where the Hurt Is" (HiWtHi) was pronounced "Hiawatha" and "We Have a Lot to Talk About" (WHALTTA) was "walt-ah."

This can go too far, of course. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I have, in verbal conversation, actually pronounced "lol" goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#233590 06/09/04 04:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This can go too far, of course. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I have, in verbal conversation, actually pronounced "lol"
Welcome to the club. goofy Rofl is one of my words...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#233591 06/09/04 04:44 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Some people pronounce the l in folks? Not where I grew up, but then, I'm just a country girl. As for 'an folc' sounding weird, not if you sspell it out when you say it: an f-o-l-c . And hey, Ms. Rat, I'm not sure someone who lives in Scotland should be talking about the weird-sounding pronunciations of folks beyond Hadrian's Wall. wink

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

George Orwell
#233592 06/09/04 05:10 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The first time I saw the word folc, I thought it was a typo. Then I started to see it around a lot. I thought it it was just a neat play on words - Folk and Fan of .....

Fol-k is the way I pronounce it. Like Folk.

I never thought of spelling it out when I say it.

"fah-licks".
I can't quite hear this word.... How do you get that from Folc? I am very curious. To me it sounds like a word Freud would use. I'm not going to type it even though it is an everyday word here (I grew up in a household w/ pple taking psychology and history.....enuf said). You all understand?

When I use it I put a Folc. Not an b/c the first letter is not a vowel.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#233593 06/09/04 10:28 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
This can go too far, of course. I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes I have, in verbal conversation, actually pronounced "lol"
I usually stop myself on time, although I think I said that to my brother once laugh

AnnaBtG.

#233594 06/09/04 10:48 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As for 'an folc' sounding weird, not if you sspell it out when you say it: an f-o-l-c .
Well, yes - but who spells out words when they talk? (Other than when they're trying to inform their husband that they're cooking pasta for dinner without alerting the pasta-loving hound to the fact...)

Pam - rotflol I thought I was the only one who'd developed the habit of saying LOL instead of laughing. Boy, the net has a lot to answer for! laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#233595 06/10/04 09:24 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Well, yes - but who spells out words when they talk?
I do, in this case. Can't speak for anyone else. Last time I looked FOLC was an acronym, and judging from the replies on this question, there is no one way to pronounce it. Since it's an acronym, there's no reason why it couldn't be spelled out: "I am an ef o el c". But we all have our own speech idiosyncracies. smile1

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

George Orwell
#233596 06/13/04 12:42 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I love TLAs and other acronyms. I am firmly of the belief that any acronym that can be pronounced as a word (or pseudo-word) should be. FoLC, LOL, and ROFL can be. goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#233597 06/16/04 10:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Like Labrat, I've always pronounced it "Foalk", emphasizing the L as to make it different from the pronunciation of "folk." And now that I think about it, I don't think anyone every told me it was a word, or how to pronounce it, I just assumed. I thought everyone just pronounced it the way I did. smile

Molly

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard