Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#233475 05/01/04 09:10 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
When you write a lengthly fanfic, do you post installments as you're writing them? Or do you finish the whole thing then post in regular intervals? Also, how often do readers like to see new installments?

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#233476 05/01/04 09:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I once tried to post in installments, as I was writing the story - complete fiasco. Within a couple of weeks my buffer had completely disappeared, and I do very badly under pressure, so I had to force out the next scenes, until I decided that I didn't like the way it was going and stopped. The story in question is still among my WIPs and will be finished at some point, but I don't think I'll ever try to post before I'm done again. It doesn't mean that when I post, the story is ready for the archive. I count on the readers on the boards to tell me whether what I've done worked or not, and if it doesn't, I'll rework.

As for how often to post, I'd say every 3 days seems good, both from an author and reader's POV.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#233477 05/01/04 09:35 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
For both stories I have posted in installments I've followed the 'post as you go' procedure. Both times I haven't managed to keep up with the schedule I was planning to keep.

As for the frequency of posts, I think that once a week is fine.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#233478 05/01/04 09:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Wanda smile

I had to go for 'other' for both questions. In relation to posting stories, I only tend to have a story finished before posting when it's a short story (between one and three parts) - and even then I might not have it completely finished. But I never post 'what I have when I have it' - I simply couldn't write under that sort of pressure. Instead, I post with a buffer. Ideally, for a long story, I would have at least seven or eight parts-worth of story written before I start posting, and I try never to let the buffer get below about two parts - if I can keep it at around three or four parts I'm happy. smile

As for reading stories by others, I agree with Kae: twice a week works for me. Any less frequently and I find myself losing track of the story; any more frequently and - depending how much else is being posted at the time - I won't have time to post comments, or may not even have time to read.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#233479 05/01/04 11:52 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I had to vote 'other', too. I have done both ways of posting -- completely finished and as I write. With my current story, I started posting when I had over 100 pages of buffer. That is about 10 whole sections. However, unfortunately, my RL became insanely hectic and I lost all time to write frown . So I know exactly where I want my story to go, and I think I can accomplish it in only about 3 parts, but I am writing at the slowest pace ever. So even with a large buffer, it might not be completely safe to start posting. I had to learn the hard way. I think I've lost a lot of readers on my story because of my erratic posting schedule (or maybe because the story has gotten bad). So i don't think I will ever post a story that is not complete again. However, if you know you will be able to keep your schedule, then I say go for it.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#233480 05/01/04 12:51 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
When I first started writing fanfiction, I posted as I wrote. I also never used a beta. Live and learn they say.

As stories got longer I realized that I ran the risk of not posting on a timely basis if I didn't have a buffer. I've always felt that if I commit to posting a story on the boards that it's only fair to do so on a reasonably regular basis. I prefer two to three times a week, but can accept as long as once a week. Anything longer and I don't feel the audience will be able to sustain their interest in the story.

As stories got longer, so did the buffer need to be larger. My current rule of thumb is approximately half the story finished before beginning to post. Of course, I'm usually too impatient and wind up pushing that a bit. The only problem with a large buffer is if the gentle readers point out a serious flaw in your story that would require significant changes in the succeeding chapters. Tweaking is fine, but major rewrites are a pain. Enter the beta.

My super secret mystery beta reader has many times saved me from plunging into major problems which would require a lot of after the fact reworking if not caught early.

So, in essence, I do both. I post what I've written for one person. But the gentle readers will have to wait until I'm confident that I have a solid buffer.

Tank (who has been lucky enough to have never had to abandon a story for a significant length of time once he's started posting)

#233481 05/01/04 04:48 PM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I don't post until I've completed the almost final draft. I usually make changes based on comments after the posts and to fill in and clean up the story line and the writing.

I selected other for timing because I have in the the past posted every other day. I think that may be a little too fast. but, IMO, once a week is too long for the reader to maintain interest.

smile Jude

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#233482 05/02/04 12:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's my take.

I think posting is scary. In a good way. A thrill ride sort of way. Because you just never know what the readers are going to turn up that might derail the next 40 pages, or so.

For that reason, I can see how it's helpful not to have the entire thing written before you post. Keeps things fluid, and you can incorporate any changes needed. But I tell you, I just couldn't do it. The stress would just kill me outright.

Even if mine was a 20 parter and I had the first 19 ready to go, I wouldn't post until I was finished with every. last. word.

The obvious downside is that something unforeseen will come up that will send me scrambling back to revise. Still, I would so much rather revise than compose on the spot.

Oh geez...just typing that 'compose on the spot,' gave me sweaty palms. Authors who do that have all my respect!

As for frequency of posts, as a reader I really love EOD. Yvonne did that with 'Addicted,' and that was great. Had me hovering over the boards, watching the clock. I can still be happy with three times a week..and ok, maybe just two.

But less frequent than that, I tend to wander off. Wait for it to make it to the archive. And I confess that any new story that begins with, "This will have an erratic posting schedule," I tend to close down.

There are some really great exceptions, of course. Leela's LST. And MissyG's (this isn't a nag, Missy) WLGTTWI.

As for myself, I tend to post EOD no matter the length. Again, it's that fear and trembling thing. Once it's written, I just want to toss the whole thing out there and get it over with!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#233483 05/02/04 02:01 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've found out I can't write and post as I go. I'm too chaotic for that. I'm too easily distracted sometimes. With the story I'm currently posting, I had planned to post the last section about two weeks ago. But it took me longer to write it due to the challenges real life threw me and then my muse stopped cooperating for a while. And I feel awful about not keeping up a posting schedule. I'm pretty sure it put of many readers.

So I've decided to only post stories in the future that are actually finished. I can't tell what's going to happen in my life, I'm very flexible. So it's quite possible I don't write for weeks and suddenly can write page after page again. I guess I should get more structured, but without a job or classes, it's just so hard. <g>

As to a posting schedule, every two or three days works excellent for me. I think it's best to post at least twice a week so I don't have any trouble to keep up with a story. I usually wait to read a story until it's finished if the writer keeps a very irregular posting schedule, but of course, there are exceptions there.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#233484 05/02/04 03:53 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have only made a small number of my stories available on internet. None of them are multi-parts. The reason for that is very simple. None of my multi-parters are finished yet.

After reading fanfic of other fandoms and getting very frustrated by authors who abandoned their stories in the middle, I vowed to never post parts of an unfinished story. Add to that the fact that I've been writing for ages without managing to finish longer works, due to my very sporadic writing habits, I'm sure that that's the best method for me.

When reading installments of stories I like to see regular and weekly updates although I won't complain about shorter intervals. A weekly rythm allows me to read the story rather fluently. Longer intervals like a month or so, make it already harder to recall what has happened in previous installments. At least for me.

So, that's my two cents...

~Sira

#233485 05/02/04 08:20 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Wanda, there's absolutely no way I'd post a story without first having completed it! I'm like CC. The stress would kill me!

I usually like to have it beta'd before I post as well. And I'm very demanding on beta's... aren't I? thumbsup By that I mean I just send the whole thing at them at once. Impatience! Plain and simple. Once I'm done writing, I want to know what somebody thinks! laugh Then when I post, if someone points out something that really, really needs attention, I go back and tweak. I may also do other revisions between posting to the boards and sending it to the archive.

As for posting schedule, wrong person to ask! My schedule is all messed up on my latest one. But EOD is nice, especially when you're reading. Otherwise, I, too, wait for the story to hit the archive. I can't take the stress of not knowing what happens next!

SQD

#233486 05/03/04 01:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
With shorter stories, I prefer to get them done (more or less) before I start posting. The last few times I wrote longer stories... well, I had a buffer when I started, but sooner or later, I'd get to the point where I was posting as I wrote it, and pushing myself to get a segment out per week. Which was actually an interesting exercise in self-discipline -- there was some stress involved, but I could use that to keep myself writing on a regular basis, instead of wandering off for a few years. So the deadline part of it helped me.

Lately, though, with these "alphabet" stories, I've not even thought about posting before I was done writing.

I wonder, sometimes, if the difference is that the older stories were written without anti-depressants, and now that I'm *on* anti-depressants it's actually a little bit harder to write, but that's probably only a part of it. Thinking about it now, actually, it might be because of what happened with the original "H is for Hubris" story. I'd gotten it to where I thought it was finished, though I wasn't entirely happy with it, and sent it to betas... and one of them made a comment near the end that sent me scrambling to re-write the whole darned thing, from the first scene. If I'd already posted the first half, I'd've been outta luck.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#233487 05/03/04 02:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been posting as I go, but boy, I should have finished the whole thing first.

When I get stuck like this I tend to drag out when I post next and often check back here for the butt kicking I deserve for holding things up (CC and KB are my most recent butt kickers thus far,...Thanks guys!!!)

TEEEJ

#233488 05/03/04 07:23 AM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
CC said:

I think posting is scary. In a good way. A thrill ride sort of way.
I agree that posting is scary (although I'm not sure it's scary in a good way laugh ). I can't post in parts until the entire story is finished simply because I don't usually know where the story is going until it's finished blush . And it might be that major changes are required to the beginning when I finally figure out how it's going to end.

So I finish the story, thinking that maybe this time I'll post in parts, and then I again chicken out and just send it to the archives. I figure if posting is scary, I should just get it done in one fell swoop blush .

There has been one exception: Without A Superman. When I started that story, I knew there were going to be three parts: Clark Kent's Quest, Lois Lane's Quest and Superman's Quest. And I had a basic idea about of where all three parts (all of which are complete stories) were going to go. Of course, I had no idea how I was going to get there. But it was sort of fun being restricted to things I'd written in previous stories while writing the sequels. It required additional brain power thinking my way around the problems I could have simply rewritten if earlier parts had not been posted.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#233489 05/03/04 03:29 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I've done both. I tend to wait until my fanfics are done, especially the shorter-length ones. I've got an original story that I'm posting in installments on my website, but that's taking longer due to periodic writer's block & lack of time to write.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#233490 05/08/04 05:33 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I answered "Other" to both questions. The first story I ever wrote for another fandom was completed before I posted. I then proceeded to post the entire thing all at once. Unfortunately impatience is something I have learned to live with. smile

With my current story I started out with the buffer plan. Impatience quickly reared it's pointed head and I ate that buffer up so now I'm hurriedly writing as I go. Never do that again, trust me.

I prefer at least once a week posts, but answered "Other" because I understand how RL can jump out and bite you on the backside. Hard.

Currently things are jumping both at work and home and I'm having trouble finding the time to write that I had previously enjoyed. So, I can understand when a writer takes a short "hiatus."

For me, if I'm really into a story I may not like to wait, but I'll jump back into the reader's chair the moment a new part is posted. So Taivas feel free to update "Reflections" at any time. laugh

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
#233491 05/12/04 03:05 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Back when I wrote fanfic, I posted only when I had a completed, polished work -- except once and it took me over a year to finish that story after I posted the first part. I'm a "pantser," which means I write by the seat of my pants with not a lot plotted out. So I don't know how things will really end til I type "The End." The characters often lead me in ways I hadn't anticipated.

I personally like to see whole stories posted at once. IMHO installments are just a bid for a lot of feedback and backslapping, and I'm ashamed to say that I'm guilty of that myself.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#233492 05/12/04 03:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
IMHO installments are just a bid for a lot of feedback and backslapping,
Gosh, Marilyn, you make that sound like a bad thing! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#233493 05/12/04 03:47 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Okay, I really shouldn't even be here because I have a huge exam on Monday, but . . .

installments are just a bid for a lot of feedback and backslapping
That is true to a point, but that is not the only reason for installments. For some of us, the comments we get really help us develop our plot. For example, in my current story, I thought I knew exactly where I wanted my story to go and how I wanted to get there, but as I posted, reader comments showed me that my idea wasn't the best idea to get my characters to the place they needed to be.

Also, I find that when writing with no other comments than my beta's, I tend to get bored and not know what to do or where to go -- it's like a loss of motivation. When I post as soon as I write, the instant feedback automatiaclly provides me with opinions and thoughts about the story, and it reenergates me to write again and complete the story.

Yes, I love getting feedback, even though I don't recieve as much as other authors, and it is kind of like instant gratification for a lot of hard work, but, you know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that smile .

- Laura (okay, I am ducking back into my hole now to "study" wink )

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#233494 05/12/04 04:34 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
So I don't know how things will really end til I type "The End." The characters often lead me in ways I hadn't anticipated.
I'm totally with Supermom on this, which is why I've never had the guts to post a story until I've finished it completely. I don't do outlines, but rather follow the characters wherever they roam, often trying to wrestle them back to where I'd like to be.

That said, even though I'm technically "finished" when I start posting, I appreciate doing so in installments. It's invaluable to me.

How else would I learn how my storytelling is coming across? When I put up a dozen pages, I get the chance to see them reflected back to me by a group of intelligent readers.

Believe me, I couldn't pay my friends for that service!

All comments- good and bad and indifferent- help me grow as a writer. If I posted the entire thing at once, I'd be losing out on something really great.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard