Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, as everyone knows, I'm a expert on capital letters. Obviously. Just look at... Oh, never mind.

Here's the thing. When I'm writing dialogue, I tend to capitalize certain words which most other people leave lower case. Several BRs have called me on it, but I always stick with my own method. I explain my reasoning, and they either agree with me or simply choose to let the matter drop. I'm not always sure which.

The sort of words I'm talking about are "honey," "son," and "dear."

Most people would write it this way:

Perry looked at him. "Now, son, you can't just expect a man to hire you when you come in off the streets, even with credentials like this."

---

"I'm sorry, honey. I did eat the last of the chocolate ice cream."

---

"Yes, dear. I'll take care of it."

---

"Aww, come here, kiddo."

I, however, would have capitalized Son, Honey, Dear, and possibly Kiddo. The way I see it, these words stand in place of a single specific proper name. You'd capitalize a nickname. You'd capitalize "Mom" or "Dad." You'd capitalize a title such as "Your Highness." You'd capitalize an epithet ("The Great One," for example). So, shouldn't words with a similar function also be capitalized?

If anyone has a solid grammatical source (not that these things are infallible or irrefutable. Often, they contradict each other on some of the finer points), I'd be interested to know. Otherwise, I'm just generally interested in how FoLCs at large see things.

So, you know the routine. Vote in the poll, add any additional thoughts in a reply. Thanks for your time. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I capitalize nicknames that are specific to that person. If a particular person has the nickname of "Buddy", and that's what everyone calls him, I capitalize it. If I'm talking to someone I don't know, and say, "Hey, buddy, could you move your car?", I don't capitalize it.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree with Vicki.

And so does this site:
Names of relationships only when they are a part of or a substitute for a person's name. (Often this means that when there is a modifier, such as a possessive pronoun, in front of such a word, we do not capitalize it.)
  • Let's go visit Grandmother today. Let's go visit my grandmother today.
  • I remember Uncle Arthur. I remember my Uncle Arthur. My uncle is unforgettable.

This also means that we don't normally capitalize the name of a "vocative" or term of endearment:
  • Can you get the paper for me, hon?
  • Drop the gun, sweetie. I didn't mean it.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I agree with Vicki, too.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What Rivka said is what I tend to do, though I never check rules so I just go by whatever feels right... but I had to comment on this example:

Drop the gun, sweetie. I didn't mean it.
rotflol

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
When I came to Canada, I had a very severe problem with capitals. I refused to use them. goofy It seemed like a horrible waste of time because there is no such concept in Hebrew, which I was used to.

Then my teacher yelled at me a couple of (hundred) times, and I've developed a bug inside of me that says, "Capitalize! Capitalize! Capitalize!"

So now, even though I sort of know it's correct not to capitalize them, I can't bring myself not to. Same with nationalities and days of the week in French: I just can't bring myself to not capitalizing them. French teacher hasn't yelled at me yet, though. wink

So I capitalize them like Paul, but maybe now I'll stop. laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Paul, I'm with you 110%.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Same with nationalities and days of the week in French: I just can't bring myself to not capitalizing them. French teacher hasn't yelled at me yet, though.
Julie, maybe it's just because in french, you don't capitalize the days of the week nor the months. wink

Carole smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As the site Rivka quoted says, forms of address such as 'dear', 'honey', 'son', 'sweetheart', 'my little tornado' goofy etc are never capitalised. They aren't names or proper nouns. For whatever reason - custom, tradition - forms of address such as 'Mom'/'Mum', 'Dad', 'Granny' etc are considered to be proper nouns, and these do get capitalised.

If I were GEing a story in which someone had capitalised 'son' or 'honey' etc, I would point it out as something to be corrected.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Eek! I find it slightly alarming to discover how many people have chosen to capitalise the words in Paul's list. The fact is, so far as I know, to capitalise these words is considered wrong by the vast majority of people concerned with the written word. (/me hides under desk while waiting for the onslaught of comments disagreeing with that statement laugh ).

One can't find a logical justification for every single spelling or grammar rule, and often, it's simply the majority rule which applies. For example, there's no logical reason that I can think of for spelling 'wrong' with a 'w', other than the fact that convention dictates that we spell it that way. smile The same goes for capitalising endearments, etc.

The only word in Paul's list which I think you could legitimately capitalise would be 'son' - but only if you were referring the Son of God. smile

Yvonne

Top Banana
Top Banana
Julie, maybe it's just because in french, you don't capitalize the days of the week nor the months.
What I meant is that I know it's incorrect to capitalise them, but I can't bring myself not to (even if it's wrong). laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What I meant is that I know it's incorrect to capitalise them, but I can't bring myself not to (even if it's wrong).
Oops! Knew I was smart laugh

Carole smile1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I did click "Buddy" and "Skip" because I figured they were proper names laugh . Now, I can see buddy not being a name - "Hey, buddy, pass the ketchup."
But I can't see how you call someone skip without it being a name. Otherwise, it's a verb smile1 "Hey, Skip, skip over here!"
But yes, there is a rule not to capitalize honey, sweetheart, dearest, lovey or any other term even when your character is addressing them directly.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Artemis wrote:

But I can't see how you call someone skip without it being a name. Otherwise, it's a verb "Hey, Skip, skip over here!"
That's true. I have to admit that it never occurred to me that anyone would be called 'Skip', either as a name or a nickname. Really? confused What about 'Hop' or 'Jump'? goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Buddy and Skip are both nicknames I've heard of.

I even thought that Sport and Squirt could, theoretically, be nicknames. (I can see a big brother calling his little brother "Squirt", and the name catching on, so soon everyone is calling him that.)

But I wasn't sure if that was how Paul intended them in his poll. That is why I wrote my post explaining how I capitalize if its a nickname and don't if it's not.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
O.K., I posit the idea that if a general term such as "buddy", "squirt", "stretch", "wiggles", etc, has devolved to the point that a specific indidual is known in general by that noun, it is then a proper name and should be capitalized. If it is just a replacement term (often derisive) of a person, then it shouldn't be. "Hey, x-ray eyes, come over here and lend me some of your super strength."
I did know a very tall fellow who had been called "Stretch" since High-School. We called him that and I would then capitalize the word "Stretch." Now where life became interesting was that since he was a Navy captain, how you addressed him reflected both your role and his role in the conversations at hand. At work he was Captain, or Captain Youngblood. In the bar, he was Stretch. Or if it was just the two of you in a casual conversation, it was Stretch.
cool
Artemis
Memory just struck. I called my son "tiger" when he was little, but it never was his name. If I ever wrote it down, I would caitalize it. It was his nickname.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard