Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I was reading some comments in the latest introspection thread and wondered, does anyone else find it hard to write introspection sometimes?

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's not writing that actual introspection that's difficult for me, it's figuring out what the heck *I* want them to be thinking about. smile For these last several stories, I have a hard time getting started, in part because I have to pick up the mood from the last story, and figure out what I want to do in this story -- which elements I want to deal with vs. the ones I'll downplay... But once I have a fairly clear idea, I can write it without too much trouble. It gets edited a lot, but then so does everything else! :p

PJ
who thinks she's close to figuring out K

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I think it's my post that got you wondering, Shadow smile

I, personally, found it hard to learn how to write introspection. Even now, it's not always easy. Action and - especially - dialogue are my strongest points. If you try reading 'Lois, Clark and Sharlynn' - which is the very first fanfic I began writing - you'll see there's much dialogue and only a tiny bit of introspection.

I don't really know why this is happening to me. My guess is that it happens because, when I write, I 'vision' what's happening. And, clearly, introspection isn't something you can 'vision'.

I think I could say more on the topic, but I'm sleepy now smile Never mind. It would probably be a pointless babble anyway.

Interesting poll, Shadow.
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: I voted for 'Yes'.

P.P.S.: Now that I do write introspection, I hope that it doesn't suck.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
How easy writing introspection and dialogue is depends, for me, on how easy it is for me to get into the character. Whether it's a new character I'm creating or a series regular, I have to be in the character's head, know his/her background, and understand his/her pov at that particular moment.If I can't get into that space, then what hits the page doesn't sound or feel like the character and lacks originality. It's just generic and boring. Sometimes getting myself into the right place is easy, and sometimes it's hard, but either way, I have to be deep into the moment.

goofy Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I have absolutely no problem writing introspection. What I actually have trouble with is writing dialogue and action!

Being in someone's mind is incredibly easy for me, but making them talk . . . I really can't do it well.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm with Laura. I typically have no trouble doing introspection. Dialogue and action can be a real pain, though.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted 'no' BUT I will ammend my vote a bit: I have no trouble writing Lois' introspection but I sometimes have trouble writing Clark's. I think that's because as a woman, I am more able to identify with Lois. Writing Clark is harder for me because on top of trying to write from a man's point of view, I have to get inside the whole 'super-persona' as well.

-Wanda wink

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No trouble doing it. Plenty of trouble stopping doing it. goofy Mostly because I end up missing out a vital point or contradicting myself and then end up having to do another half page to fix that one...which leads to another glitch that needs fixing and....

Well...you know. I call it the Domino Effect.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmm. Hard to answer. Actually, what is an issue for me when writing is to get from introspection to dialogue and back in a smooth way, without disrupting the flow of either. So the result is that when I'm writing my first draft these days, the scene is either pure introspection or pure dialogue, and it becomes somewhat balanced only after a dozen redrafts and frustrated growls and grunts and groans and yells for help to my BRs. laugh

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard