Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This current spate of very cold weather with lots of snow has led to a number of discussions on IRC between the north Americans and the rest of the world concerning... snow. goofy Basically, do you love it or loathe it?

Some of us in the UK have been extremely envious of our Canadian and American FoLC friends currently living with six inches or more of snow, and have been eagerly watching the sky this week waiting for those long-promised snowflakes to fall, whereas the Americans and Canadians are groaning and longing for it all to melt, and wishing that UPS would ship it all over to us. wink

(Incidentally, if you'd like to see what just one inch of snow does to us in the UK, see here . goofy

So... snow. Love it or loathe it?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Snow? Ohhh, it's that white stuff that comes down during that strange season called 'winter'. goofy Rather amused, I voted for 'other'. Yes, I love snow. But I happen to love the 4 inches we've had in the past 16 years that I've been in Alabama. Our winter here is more appropriately named 'January'. By next week I should be in short sleeved shirts again. laugh

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
&#9834 When the wise men gather together,
They wisely speak of the weather;
For any of them can see weather --
Whether it's rain, or whether it's snow.

But if anyone asks them weather --
Whether there will be change in the weather.
Then they all answer together,
"Weather is weather, whether or no!" &#9834

I'm sorry, what was the question? wink

Right, snow! I am happy to live in SoCal, where I never ever have to shovel snow, dig out my car, etc. But I do miss snow on occasion, and like visiting places that have it. For like a week. Then I want back to the warmth!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Snow isn't something we get to see often here in Athens (not lots of it, anyway).
I do like it, but I'm not like my brothers, who'll go out running to play with it. If I'm in, I'll stay in. If I'm out... I may throw a few snowballs smile

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Blogger
Blogger
As a born and bred Minnesotan, I feel obligated to chime in. We have recently got around 6 inches of snow here in the Twin Cities, and are in the middle of a week of all sub-zero temperatures. Never have I seen so many smiles on the faces of passerbys!

Bring on the snow!! Bring on the cold! I am going sledding tonight, and even though I won't be able to feel my toes, I will revel in our 6 months of winter (late Oct-mid April).

Golden Gopher Hockey: NCAA Back to Back Champs!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I had to vote for other. There's no in-between option. I like the snow, but only for a couple of days. It's fun to play in. It looks amazingly cool in the environment where I live. Plus, it's nice to cover for the paper or magazine.

I also know it causes major traffic jams here, with deadly crashes sometimes. Trains and busses are sure not to ride on time anymore (okay, one can wonder if they ever did to start with). So, with the promise of snow tomorrow, roads will be dangerous here. It's rather like the article Wendy showed. Actually, it already happened today, when there were just a few drops of snow.

But the real reason I want lots and lots of snow is because I want to play hooky from work. At the moment it's so boring and I'm counting the days till I'm done there (23 woohoo!). So a few days off for such a reason is wonderful. Plus, it means I can have snow fights with the neighbors. <g> Yeah, let it snow tonight!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Top Banana
Top Banana
I also voted "Other".

I live in Puerto Rico and, obviously, we don't get snow here (or cold, for that matter.) But I feel I'm qualified to comment, as I grew up in upstate NY and went to college just this side of Canada. So...

Snow is beautiful. It's romantic, it's fun, it's "winter"! But I only like it when it's white, deep, and beautiful. When it's brown and slushy I hate it. When it means slipping and sliding on icy roads, I hate it.

Of course, the best part about snow when I was growing up was SNOW DAYS! For us kids, a nice deep snowfall the night before a school day was definitely reason to celebrate!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm plain sick of it. I hate shoveling it. One storm was enough for me. Hate looking at it.

/me sends it all to Wendy.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Snow! Now this is a topic I understand laugh

I voted for ‘other’. I have a love/hate relationship with snow. Since the beginning of January, it has snowed and snowed and snowed some more - dropping six inches or more every time. I have had my road plowed five times so far this month. At thirty five dollars a pop, I have spent $175.00 on snow removal. Also, if there is too much snow, there is a danger of having your roof collapse. So when I think of that, I hate snow grumble

On the other hand, last year we didn’t have much snow. Then, when the temperature dropped to the high thirties and even the forties (below zero), all the pipes leading to my house froze. I spent a small fortune putting in an emergency line so that I could have water. Some of my neighbors didn’t bother and it wasn’t until the end of May before they had water again. Snow acts as an insulator, keeping the frost from going too deep. Also, without the snow, the water levels are low and the forest fire threat the following summer is high. So when I think of that, I love snow thumbsup

This year, we’ve been in the minus thirty to minus forty range now for about three weeks. So am I glad we have snow? Yes! wave (Is that more than you wanted to know? laugh )

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
Other. Nice to look at, nice to walk in for the first few hours if you're not in a hurry, horrible after that.

Yvonne

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Granted, we haven't had all that much snow this year, but this latest batch dropped about eight inches on me.

As a kid, with a red rocket sled I liked snow, but my affection for snow died the day I got a driver's license. I don't own and snowmobile, or do any skiing. Nobody skates outside anymore, and being old, I'm not terribly fond of shoveling. So, I don't like a lot of snow.

On the other hand... I HATE the bitter cold that we've been having in spades lately. We've been lucky enough to have some fairly mild winters recently, but this year has been brutal. This morning the wind chills were 30 to 40 below, and I got to go out to a job where I got to help unload a truck. It was at a dock, but we could only unload for about twenty minutes at a time, then had to close the dock door because the building facilities guy was afrain his pipes might freeze. Real fun.

I also have the pleasure of not having a garage for my car so it has to sit out in this weather. It would never start if I didn't lay out a 125 feet of extension cord so I can plug in the tank heater. (That's a small heating element installed in a car's oil pan to keep the oil viscous so the car will turn over, an absolute necessity up in these parts)

Yeah, I love the snow and cold... not.

Tank (who thinks Wendy and John are in for a bit of a shock when they finally emigrate to the Great White North)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I need to add a caveat to what I chose. I live in an area called the "snow belt" part of Cleveland. Stupid Lake Effect Snow -- Stupid Lake Erie. I hate snow. Hate it, hate it, hate it. From the first flake in September or October until the last flake in March or April, I HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. I hate being cold, hate slipping on ice, hate scraping snow/ice off my car -- and EVERYTHING ELSE associated with the snow and winter.

- Laura mad

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
My feelings for snow have changed back and forth over the years. At first, I loved snow. We rarely got it, and when it snowed, school was cancelled. Then I moved from Southern Illinois to Northern Indiana. Where it snowed. A lot. Of course, it was a novelty, so I still loved it, especially when the snowplows put it all in the corner of the parking lot, and we could tunnel in it. Then, I got older and we moved around a bit, and I grew to hate snow. I hated standing in it, waiting for the bus. I hated sweeping off the sidewalk. And most of all, I learned to hate driving in it. Snow just isn't fun when you're driving home at 6pm on a Sunday night, the semi's are even pulling off the road, and you suddenly find yourself in the ditch facing traffic not 100 yards from your exit.

Then, I moved to North Carolina. It rarely snows here. When it is, it's a big treat. The city has no idea what to do, so the cancel school and salt the road. They don't own but two snow plows, so it takes a long time to get it off the road. Why does this make me happy? I think it's hilarious! I'm getting people calling into work whining "I can't come to work tonight, they're calling for snow." Not "the snow is 3 feet deep and I can't dig out my car" but "there's no snow yet, but they're calling for an inch of it at 11pm tonight." Or, they're already at work, look outside, and go "There's a snowflake, I have to go home NOW!" Wusses.

See why I love it? laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, I chose other because where I live, we don't get snow, we get ice. There is a HUGE difference. When I lived in Ohio, I groused about snow being cold and whatnot, but I actually didn't mind it much. It makes everything look beautiful it's fun to play in. However, now that I live in North Carolina, winter storms don't mean snow - that pretty flaky stuff that piles up in your yard and is (relatively) easily scraped away from sidewalks, driveways and most importantly streets. No, no. In North Carolina, "snow" is freezing rain that covers everything - cars, homes, streets, etc - in a sheet of ice causing deadly accidents (over 2000 in my town in one day this weekend) and wide-spread power outages. It takes approximately a half inch of ice to start causing trees to collapse under the weight of it and power lines to snap. We were very, very lucky this year that basically everyone in this region maintained power. Last year we were without power (and therefore without heat) for a full week in sub-freezing temperatures. I honestly believed (and I'm not being melodramatic here) that I was going to freeze to death at least two of those nights. Finally we had to leave our homes and live in emergency shelters.

So, you can understand why I hyperventilate a bit when I hear them mention "snow" in the forecast and why I have to bite my tongue when people tell me we're "so lucky" to have been declared a State of Emergency. I know they are imagining mounds and mounds of pretty white stuff, but that's not even close. You can have my State of Emergency anyday.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I chose other, because while I actually enjoy all seasons (and thus winter too!) the snow and cold can get tiring. I love living in an area that actually has four seasons. That part is great. I will admit though to getting a little tired of winter earlier than any of the other seasons. Then again, I start to whine in the summer too. I can only take so many days of 110+ F temps. The same goes for our bout with -10 F and lower temps earlier in January. Snow is okay, I don't like icy roads. More than that, I hate fog. Because I live in a valley, we get stuck with too much fog. I did offer snow to others in IRC though. Was a bit tired of it after we got about 20" in a week or so. Now it has mostly melted. Yay! hyper On to my favorite season, spring!

Jana

EDIT: Wendy, I just have to say that people who live in Seattle don't do so well in the snow either. It is a constant source of amusement to those of us that live on the east side of the state. It starts to snow and people will slow down to 30mph or actually leave their cars on the side of the freeway to walk. No ice or anything, just a bit of snow!

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
Blogger
Blogger
I live in Connecticut and we get a good deal of snow here every winter. Okay, so we get A LOT of snow every winter! smile Now, this bothers most people I know. Personally, though, I adore snow. I really do. The only downside is having to drive in it. All right, so that's kind of a big downside... but I still love it!
~Lauren

Clark: Lois, you're kinda babbling.
Lois: I know. See, I never babble.
Clark: Are you kidding? You're a brook.
Top Banana
Top Banana
There are three kinds of snow I love: the first snow of the year, the snow that falls on Christmas Eve and hangs out over Christmas Day, and the snow that dumps fresh powder all over a ski slope.

There are three kinds of snow I hate: snow on Easter (happens here in Chicago, even when Easter falls late, like in April), snow that means a two hour drive to go approximately 10 miles, and snow that has hung around for weeks, black and gray and hideously ugly.

My husband is from Buffalo NY where it snows and within, like, a half hour, the entire town has been plowed, salted - everything and people go about their business. Contrasting to when I lived in St. Louis and if the weatherman even said the word "snow" everyone went out and stocked up on bread and milk and refused to come to work just in case one single flake might be seen in the air. Yes, Karen, I too know the pain of trying to chip two inches of solid ice off of my car's windshield. Ice-rain is the worst.

I think that this is a case of "the grass is always greener." If you don't ever get it, you wish you did. If you get it all the time, you stop appreciating it. I like to think that if I lived in Hawaii, I'd eventually grow weary of tropical breezes.

One thing I don't think I could ever give up is the color of the leaves in the fall and those first few daffodils that pop up in the spring. I'll suffer snow if I get the other three seasons to go with it because there's just nothing like that first day over 60 degrees!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Buffalo NY where it snows and within, like, a half hour, the entire town has been plowed, salted - everything and people go about their business.
Buffalo is the only place I can think of that gets the dreaded Lake Effect worse than Cleveland! . . . but Cleveland still gets it BADLY!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am Ukraine-born, but having moved away to Israel at 2 year old I don't remember anything from there. Now, I grew up in Israel, and the only snow they have there is on some mountain in the north where everyone goes skiing and once in a while in Jerusalem. Since I lived right in the middle, I didn't get to see any snow until I moved to Canada, when I was about 12 or 13. Watching TV shows and cartoons where kids played with snow and built snowmen and threw snowballs I dreamed of snow for years!

Well, first winter here was maybe nice, with 3 inches of snow all winter, but this winter has been so brutal I can't stand it anymore.

Trains and busses are sure not to ride on time anymore (okay, one can wonder if they ever did to start with).
Just the past week I was late to school 3 times out of 5 because of the bus, which made my friend say that TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) stands for take the car. goofy Couldn't agree more.

Yesterday was the most horrible day yet. It snowed about 20 inches, and it is also screwing with my daily routines (for example, I can't take a shortcut through a park because the snow there is knee deep). And it didn't even turn out to be snow day! I haven't had a single one in all the time I've been in Canada yet and this is my third winter here! The snow is so cold, and it's hard to walk through (when there are 5 inches of snow lying on the sidewalk). I hate it. Really, Wendy, you should be happy because I'd switch with you anytime. At times like this I'm sorry I didn't appreciate the Israeli Climate.

Not to mention I had to walk against wind flow and snow in your face isn't very pleasant.

[Linked Image]

Does this look very appealing?!

Julie (who is happy to stay in but has an exam tomorrow at 9 AM grumble )

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What Annie said. I'm not particularly fond of snow, but I *hate* ice storms. We had a system go through on Sunday and the schools are *still* not open again. Even if it gets above freezing in the daytime, everything freezes solid again overnight. I've been complaining to everyone. help

Let's just put it this way -- if forced to choose between a hurricane and an ice storm, I'd pick the hurricane.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard