Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#232910 01/09/04 04:28 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay, I've seen this post on the zoomway message board but I thought I make my own version of it.

Who do you wish to see as the next Superman? Perferably see what you woman think. And also, please make sure you know who each person is before you vote. To see the pictures of who these people are, go to this list .

If you don't know who Michael is go to http://www.lnc.at/aboutme.htm first.

#232911 01/09/04 10:25 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I am so pathetic. I only know who three of those pple are. eek ...So I didn't vote. I like Dean (*yummmmm*) though....but if he is going to do it on the silver screen he needs to dork up the Clark side. Clark was too cool on LnC. I always thought of Clark being really clumsy and dorky. eek a toma.....*splat*. dizzy Thought it would be hard to see him in that role with out TH being Lois. twins

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#232912 01/10/04 02:44 AM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Yeah, wouldn't Michael look great in the Superman costume. drool

If I do see him in one I would also go... eek and then...splat! And faint. Although I never fainted once before. Who would be looking at his face when their looking at his chest. laugh

You might have a point about him being in the role of clark.

#232913 01/10/04 03:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think everything is psychologocal. I could find a flaw in every single person except for Dean Cain. Truly, though, I think we can rule out Tom Welling because he'd be more fit to play Superboy than Superman. He looks too young.

Sabado looks too villainous. But as I said, everything is psychological and this may be because of him L&C guest performance.

Toman Michael is really, really gorgeous, but that's just it. Superman/Clark isn't supposed to be drop dead gorgeous. His looks are supposed to be more subtle, IMO. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't remember what I though about each one (and also I don't want to be accused of being too critic), but in the end Dean is my only option. laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#232914 01/10/04 03:20 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Depending on how old Superman is supposed to be, Dean Cain might be too old. Lois and Clark's Clark was born in 1966, so that would make him 37 almost 38 now. If this movie wanted a Superman in his 30's or 40's then Dean Cain is your guy. However, if the movie wants a Superman in his 20's, then Tom Welling fits the role pretty well. I've never watched Smallville, but I thought he was really hot in the picture I saw of him on a recent TV book! Regarding the other actors, I haven't heard of any of them, so I can't really choose blush .

The reason I liked Lois and Clark was that Clark wasn't overly nerdy. That was what I always had trouble with in the Christopher Reeve movies and the original George Reeves series. Clark wasn't cool and he wasn't overly attractive! Therefore, he didn't hold my attention.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#232915 01/10/04 03:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The reason I liked Lois and Clark was that Clark wasn't overly nerdy. That was what I always had trouble with in the Christopher Reeve movies and the original George Reeves series. Clark wasn't cool and he wasn't overly attractive! Therefore, he didn't hold my attention.
I completely agree with you, Laura. I actually disliked the Christopher Reeves portrayal because he was so bumbling and dorkish. I much preferred Dean's Clark - he wasn't ultra cool, kind of a simple guy, but still not a total geek.

As for Julie's comment on Tom Welling:
...I think we can rule out Tom Welling because he'd be more fit to play Superboy than Superman. He looks too young.
I have to totally disagree wink . Tom Welling is actually almost 27 years old. And when they want to, the producers on Smallville can make him very much look his real age - see any of the episodes when he's doped up on Red-K. In the episode "Relic", they slicked back his hair in a 1950s style which gave me a real good picture of how he might look as Superman, and it was pretty wonderful. As it is, they tend to give him a youthful hair style so that he does actually seem to be high-school aged in order to play a teen-aged Clark.

I chose Tom Welling because for me, he has it all. He has the height and the build to play a Superhero as well as the ability to come across as kind of clueless, which would be necessary for the Clark persona.

The only reason I didn't choose Dean is because I never really liked the way he played Superman - the whole arm-crossing thing always made me laugh. But he'd definitely be my close second runner up. I know he's only improved with age <g>.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#232916 01/10/04 04:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, just going by those thumbnail pictures of their faces, I went with Matthew Bomer. His face seemed right. Haven't any idea how he could act or anything, though.

I'm not actually that interested in a movie, because I'm cynical -- every time Hollywood does a movie version of something I love, they take out everything I love about it. razz

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#232917 01/10/04 04:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I chose DC because, sad as I am, I still like looking at him. laugh Also, he's a much better actor these days that when he first started in L&C (which is another reason I prefer S3 and S4, incidentally - his acting is better and his hair is shorter laugh )

Yvonne

#232918 01/10/04 05:14 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
First off, you can forget about Dean Cain (or Teri Hatcher) ever being cast. The idea for the movies as they stand are for 3 pictures over a ten year period. They are looking for a twenty something actor for the role. 30 would be the absolute max.

Also Dean doesn't have the acting chops to carry a big screen movie. (Just look at some of the stuff he's done post L&C). He's probably a better actor than he's perceived to be, but he's still much too old now.

Welling (especially since the movie is constantly being delayed) will probably fit the age bracketing well (he's already about the same age as Dean was when he started Lois and Clark), which is one reason why Smallville bugs me. He is a good looking guy, tall, would need to bulk up a bit, but his association with Smallville could work against him. Too many (but really not that many since Smallville doesn't really have that big an audience), will see him as a 'Superboy'.

I chose Vicor Webster strickly on the basis of his 'look'. I think he has the physicalicty to play a Superman. I have no idea if he can act, since I don't watch Mutant X.

I, personally still think they should look for an unknown (as was the case of Chris Reeves) to play the role. But that, of course, leads to the danger of typecasting for the actor even more than it would for an established star. BUT that choice wasn't offered wink

Tank (who reminds pollsters that they should always include an 'other' or 'none of the above' choice in their polls for those who have a different take on the options presented)

#232919 01/10/04 06:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
As Tank said, we need an "other" choice.

I don't know who some of these actors listed are, but the fact that they have a following at all rules them out in my mind. I think a new Superman movie should do exactly what the original movies did with Chris Reeve and what L&C did with Dean Cain -- they should get a relative unknown to play the part and make it his own.

I'm sure this won't happen in this day of "big movies require big names", but it's what I would vote for, were it an option.

Kathy

#232920 01/10/04 10:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
First off, you can forget about Dean Cain (or Teri Hatcher) ever being cast.
I know full well that it wll never happen, for a variety of reasons, but a woman can dream, can't she? laugh

Yvonne

#232921 01/10/04 10:54 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I chose Matthew Bomer, basically because my first choice wasn't listed, and there wasn't an "other". Yeah, I'm still pulling for Brendan Fraser, but I can dream. drool

Dean Cain, as mentioned, is getting a little old, and I really don't see them pulling a tv actor for the movie. Same goes for Tom Welling. Besides, something about Tom Welling really puts me off.. maybe it's Smallville. wink

The rest of them, I really don't know too much about, so I can't choose them. Antonio Sabato Jr is a little too old, and I really couldn't see him in the role, either. And who the heck is Toman Michael? I can't read german, so I didn't understand what the page said.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#232922 01/10/04 11:29 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
My problem with the idea of casting Welling is the same one I had with Dean Cain - if Welling is cast I want to see other "Smallville" actors reprise their respective roles. That means I want Michael Rosenbaum as Lex along with Annette O'Toole and John Schneider as the Kents.

Similarly, I would have wanted all the main actors from Lois & Clark to reprise their roles if Dean Cain got a shot at the Superman role.

And I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment.

The problem with this is people who never watched Smallville or Lois & Clark but know the basics of the Superman story might be turned off by a movie with SV/L&C actors because they would think it is a continuation of the TV series.

So, like Tank, I think it best to go with an unknown.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#232923 01/10/04 01:52 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
So, like Tank, I think it best to go with an unknown.
What do you think Michael is?

#232924 01/10/04 02:00 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
What do you think Michael is?
From what I can tell from his web site, it seems like he is a FoLC who speaks German. So he isn't even an actor.

Even though he is quite good looking (which is probably the reason you put him in the poll), I don't think he is an actor -- unless I am mistaken.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#232925 01/12/04 03:16 PM
Kitty Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Even though he is quite good looking (which is probably the reason you put him in the poll)
Okay Laura, I'm guilty as charged. Can you blame a woman whose suffering from DCOogelsis (I made up this word. To see the Definition of the word.)for doing it? He is gorgious. I just have to find someone else to Oogel at. goofy blush

#232926 01/15/04 06:38 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Julie Stars:
I think we can rule out Tom Welling because he'd be more fit to play Superboy than Superman. He looks too young.
By the time they start filming this movie...Tom may be as old as Dean!!! NO TOMATOES, PLEASE...I'm not saying that Dean is old (although he is 6 months older than me), it's just that we've been hearing about this dumb movie for forever!

grumble

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#232927 01/16/04 02:14 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Also Dean doesn't have the acting chops to carry a big screen movie.
I disagree. He may not get it, but it's not because he can't do it. The man has talent.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard