Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232822 12/19/03 10:12 PM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
This one is mostly for writers.

How do you choose a name for original characters?

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#232823 12/19/03 10:22 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, none of the options applied to me. When I need an original character name, I just sit back, let my mind drift for a moment, and invariably the right name pops into my head.

I have to say though that over the years, I've learned never to trust this <g>. I've had a few occasions in the past where I've realised weeks or months later that the original character name that popped up from my subconscious was actually very well known indeed. goofy

The one that still fascinates me was when I realised that a character name I'd used in a fanfic was used in a Woody Allen movie. It was mentioned briefly in passing by another character - for all of two seconds in the movie - and I'd only seen the movie once and that had been several years before I went looking for a character name - yet there it was lurking in my subconscious all that time apparently.

So, these days, in order to avoid any embarrassment, when the perfect character name pops into view I deliberately break it up, assigning it another surname or first name to make sure it truly is original. Or...as close to as possible. <g>

Interesting question, Anne.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#232824 12/20/03 12:17 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In the end, I didn't vote. The thing is, I've used a variety of sources of inspiration.

Yes, I have consulted both baby name books and the phone directory in my time. However, I'm more likely to rely on inspiration, then go back and check whether or not my name makes sense given the character's personality than to go to those sources to look for inspiration in the first place.

I've named a few people after architects, too. Note, not famous architects -- just architects whose names I came across while going through archives in the course of my research. I'm not sure any of those have ever got into LnC stories, though.

I'm dabbling with an idea for an original story -- been plotting it on and off for the last two years, but haven't got more than 7,000 words written, if that -- and I've 'borrowed' a friend's surname for that. I wouldn't normally go anywhere near using friends' or acquaintances' names. However, in this case, the surname is pretty common and it suits the character perfectly. (I came up with the name, then realised it matched up with my friend, but decided to keep it anyway.)

LabRat: when I was a first year undergraduate, I was given a piece of coursework to do which involved a role play. I can't remember whether we had to write a campaigning letter about an international development problem as though we were working on behalf of an NGO or whether we were writing to the NGO. All I can remember was that I thought I'd come up with an original name for my character, then realised after I had handed the work in, and with a huge amount of embarrassment, that Adam Smith was actually rather well known, albeit also rather dead! I should have known better. blush

Suffice to say, the memory of that has made me rather careful about how to name characters. I'm sure I still get things wrong, but I don't ever want to make such a glaring gaff again.

Chris

#232825 12/20/03 01:09 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Like LabRat, none of the options above apply to me. Admittedly, I don't write original characters all that often, wink but when I do I just think for a moment to see if a name pops into my head, and if one doesn't I think of some random first names and see if any surname occurs to me as suitable.

Chris, you've probably had much more need to find original character names than I have! You wrote some terrific and well-developed original characters in Extraordinary Man II, just for starters. thumbsup

How on earth would one use 'numerology' to choose a name? confused

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#232826 12/20/03 04:07 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've found several name generator sites. Sometimes they've helped me and sometimes not. I also use the phone book. Once I was looking for an Russian surname so I went to google and typed in "Russian surnames" and voila! wink Ain't google great?

http://members.cox.net/sandiept/name-generator.html

http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#232827 12/20/03 04:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That first name-generator site is interesting - enough so for me to bookmark it, so thanks! Though I'd suggest that no-one rely too heavily on the Irish names; while some are authentic (eg names like Eileen Finnegan or Mary Casey), others are most definitely not. I have never, ever met any woman born in Ireland, or to Irish parents, called Cassidy or Shannon as a first name! goofy Cassidy, however, is a common Irish surname.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#232828 12/20/03 05:04 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have to think that I do it they way most writers do... I just make them up on the spot.

I have a couple of methods. First I have some names that (like most people) I happen to like. I have a tendency to use those names, espeically for characters I like.

But mostly, I just make them up on the spot. I try to come up with names that 'fit' the character. Whenever you create a character you have a certain vision of the kind of character he/she is. You try to think up a name that is appropriate for that character. Take everyone's favorite clueless reprobate from the series, Ralph. The name just seems to fit. But, would it work quite as well if he'd been named Marshall or Charles?

I have an original character in mind for a story that I might write someday. The lead is a woman who is a cross between Lois Lane and Laura Croft. So for this woman I need a 'cool' name, one that seems to exhibit strength and is not real common. I chose Cassandra Ann Lake. I thinks this fits the bill, and I also like being able to call her Cass Lake, which I think sounds cool (and yes there is at least one, if not more, lake in Minnesota named Cass Lake, but with over ten thousand lakes it's pretty hard not to have a name associated with a lake up here). I also like having the option of being able to use her initials Cal, as a possible nickname for close friends.

Taking the example of another character I created for an original fantasy story that I started many years ago. Here we are talking about sword and sorcery type fastasy settings so the character has to have a name that seems to fit that setting. Also he is has ties to some royal family (don't they all wink ), so that also has to be taken in consideration. So, a name like Tristan DesCoyne is created.

If the character is a minor one. More like a cameo or someone of little importance then I have a tendency to just throw together a couple of more common names since it doesn't really matter. The character is designed to be forgetable. A name like Jimmy Olsen comes to mind... wink

Tank (who realizes that he kind of got carried away with his response and begs the gentle board browsers' indulgence)

#232829 12/20/03 07:01 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I haven't used any original charcters in my fics yet, but
a) I am working on one that would probably require some; and
b) I don't only write fanfic

And so when I do need a name, for a first name I just use a name I encountered on TV or in school, and for a surname I just use a fairly common one, like Jones or Smith or Black. Most of the time. I voted C because it was the closest one.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#232830 12/20/03 07:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted for the phone book, but now that I think more about it, I remember I have used names from people I know, or at least used those names as jumping-off points to the name I eventually use. Mostly, I make it up as I'm going along. But as others have said, that can get you into trouble. A month or two ago, I needed a name for an off-screen minor character, and a name popped up, and I went with it... a few days later, I realized I'd borrowed the name from a state official who was all over the news. huh Oh well, I doubt she'll ever know, and I can't imagine it'll be her biggest concern, since I think she was convicted on corruption charges... eek

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#232831 12/20/03 09:14 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
For obvious reasons I didn't vote. I can't use family names or the phone book or I'd end up with Dutch names for American characters. laugh

I have a lot of American and British paperbacks on my bookshelves so when I needed original names for my story I just grabbed one at random and chose a first name. Then looked for a fitting surname in another book. When I finally decided on a name it was with the character in mind. It had to fit the personality. Although it's a matter of personal taste. One of the villains in TAS I named 'Alan'. Not because I hate the name, but I think it's common enough so safe to be used for both good and bad characters.

I'm using the same method to pick names for the story I'm working on and I'm quite happy with it.

Ursie smile

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#232832 12/20/03 10:37 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Numerology? confused I have no idea what that is!

The only original characters I've ever used have been named after people I know from RL, with their names slightly changed. What can I say, I am completely unoriginal wink .

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#232833 12/20/03 10:49 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted for family/friends names. Sometimes (especially for things I don't write in the computer) I translate or transform names from people I know. For instance, Rachel in 'Lois, Clark and Sharlynn' is named after Raquel smile

My most usual method, though, is hitting a random key on the keyboard, maybe a second one, and try to find a name starting by that letter. And, as Tank suggested, I use names I like for people I like and names I don't like for people I don't like smile

Still, for some reason, many times names get stuck in my head. Sometimes, I use them, but I try not to use the same name for a second time.

Interesting question smile
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#232834 12/20/03 02:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i couldn't vote, either. i don't write original characters too often, but when i need one, i tend to be one of those people who just kinda sits back and goes "okay, what name fits this person?" sometimes i'll have to fret about it for a while, or leave it off until later and let my subconcious work it out. i don't use phone books, numerology, any other kind of superstition, baby naming books, or anything else, really.

often, i'll try to make do with just a first name, if i can get away with it. if not, i'll just make up a last name. if nothing pops quickly to mind, i'll randomly pick something generic, usually, unless the character calls for something else.

for the characters i've created for roleplaying games, the situation is a little different. there, i usually try to come up with something vaguely amusing (tho unfortunately not always memorable). i don't worry about it sounding "normal" or anything. i've played a wandering samurai named benni hanna, a blind pirate dog with a seeing eye monkey named rex (darn, forget his last name), a jamaican superhero who went by "supamon" (aka "the jamaican of tomorrow" aka "the man of steel drums" .. don't even remember what i threw together for his other identity), and a childishly created batman/iron man amalgam ("technoghost" aka "the guardian angel of the damned") whose name (kevin kenny) i chose to be both aliterative in the marvel comics tradition and composed of 2 first names in the DC comics tradition (also, mrs kenny was my high school guidance councellor), among others.

again, with those, i just kind of sat back and thought for a while about what would be appropriate for the character. <shrug>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#232835 12/20/03 04:12 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted for a combination of baby name books and friends and family names... but mostly I just use my imagination!

I used to have a very cool baby name book called the Baby Name Personality Survey, which had listings in order by traits. The traits were taken by surveys. I guess people were asked, "What do you think of when you hear this name?" Lots of traits were predetermined by pop culture, as I recall. (For instance, "Lucy" was thought of predominantly as a funny redhead.) That book used to be a great help. (Notice, I said USED to, since a friend borrowed it, has never given it back, and has since moved away!) mad I still occasionally use online baby name sites.

Sometimes I use names or parts of names from RL friends. For instance, In "Love Thy Neighbor," the surgeon is named Dr. Huang after my best friend who is currently in Med School. In the story I'm currently writing, there is a nurse named after a co-worker of mine, and a counselor named after one of my BRs. I don't generally give HUGE character roles to friends & family members... they are mostly cameos.

Mostly I just use my imagination and something comes to me. The most developed imaginary characters I've written to date are Adam Whitney and Elliott Newman (of "Love Thy Neighbor"). A.W. sounded like an all-American kid to me, while E.N. sounded like a snooty rich kid. I try to pick names that reflect the personalities, even before you start reading about them.

-Wanda "Just my two cents" Detroit blush

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#232836 12/22/03 03:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I, too, would have chosen "none of the above" if that had been included. I tend to just let my mind drift and eventually one will come to me.

If I need a throw-away name for one of L&C's co-workers, I'll often try to use ethnic names for variety (big city like Metropolis is going to be a true melting-pot); other than that I probably just have names that I've heard somewhere come to me and I'll modify them until they sound "right" for that particular story.

One kind of funny coincidence ... back in 1999 when I was writing "The One That Got Away", I had to choose first names for Clark's old flame and her husband. The names I chose were Lauren and Don. Fast forward two years to 2001 and my sister-in-law and I were both pregnant, due only weeks apart ... my brother and his wife named their daughter Lauren and my husband and I named our son Don. (And even funnier is that I didn't even realize the coincidence until last year when I just happened to skim the story to look something else up. LOL!)

Kathy

#232837 12/22/03 04:16 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I couldn't vote either. Numerology???

I suppose I did try the phone book once, but it wasn't any use. Many names are just listed with initials for their first name, and the full names I did find just didn't do anything for me.

Like Labrat, I've had accidents with names I thought were original and turned out not to be. I've also pinched names deliberately from other places - one of the ER doctors, for example, found his way into an early fic. I used a friend recently, but was then warned that since she was Scottish, people might think I was writing a Mary Sue - so she turned Irish instead <bg>.

Other names have just popped into my head along with the character. Significantly, I think those tend to be my most successful original characters - George, for example (my current fic's OC), was George almost from the first moment he announced himself to me.

Yvonne

#232838 12/22/03 04:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, none of the methods mentioned apply to me. I just make the names up. One, for example, was the french direct translation of Perry White laugh .

...and '"numerology " confused how does that work?

Carole (319635 or 9 <?>) smile1

#232839 12/22/03 05:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Numerology works, in theory, by counting up the letters in a person's name (first, middle, last, etc.) and determining whether the sum is a "lucky" number or not.

More here.

And here is a list of links to enough naming web pages to choke an elephant. goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#232840 12/22/03 07:58 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I have never, ever met any woman born in Ireland, or to Irish parents, called Cassidy or Shannon as a first name!
Heh, I think in those cases they may be referring to Irish-American names. I only know a few Cassidys (both first and last name) but I know many women with Shannon as a first name and one who had it as a last name.

Numerology works, in theory, by counting up the letters in a person's name (first, middle, last, etc.) and determining whether the sum is a "lucky" number or not.
That's one form of numerology. Another is to assign each letter a number and then add the numbers together. Read more about that here.

So, for example:

Clark Kent
33192 2552

Then you add the numbers in the first name and last.

(Clark)
3+3=6 6+1=7 7+9=16 16+2=18

If the number comes out in the double digits you add each digit (in this case 1+8=9) so you get a single digit.

(Kent)
2+5=7 7+5=12 12+2=14 1+4=5

Finally, 9+5=14 which we reduce to a 5 .

Whew.

Back to the question, I usually pick a name based on what seems to fit for the character. If they are related to canon characters that will have an impact on the name I select.

Sometimes, if I can't decide between names I will look at baby books or other sources to see what the meaning and history is behind a name.

Also, if there are certain names or letters that have meaning in the story I'm telling or the universe it's set in (if it's fanfic) then that will affect it as well.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
#232841 12/22/03 08:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the useful explanations rivka...really interesting, though at first I thought it had more to do with reduction of numbers :rolleyes: .

And, wow for me, lucky all the way, i can' t believe it laugh .

Carole smile1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard