Print Thread
#232594 11/03/03 10:50 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Hi!

I've been having a problem with 'The Walls Between Us', and thought that you could give me a helping hand with it.

When I had the initial idea, I had thought it wouldn't take more than ten pages. But, when I started writing it, I thought I needed to make some changes to the background of the story...
So I did, but after having written 12 chapters I'm still far away from what my focus was when I began. Plus, after the point I want to reach there are even more things to write.

So, I'm kinda stuck. On one hand, I'd like to write everything I have in mind. On the other hand, I'm afraid it'll turn into an awfully long, boring story.

How much would you like to see?

Thank you.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#232595 11/03/03 10:59 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So I did, but after having written 12 chapters I'm still far away from what my focus was when I began. Plus, after the point I want to reach there are even more things to write.
Welcome to the club! wink

Just go with the flow, Anna. Write whatever you want and don't worry about the length of the story. When it's finished you can always edit it to remove or rewrite certain parts before you submit it to the archive.

Unless you yourself are bored with the whole project? If that is the case you could put the story 'on ice' for a while, keep it on your HD until your Muse decides to have a go at it again.

I love long stories and I know there are lots and lots of FoLCs who do so too.

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#232596 11/04/03 11:37 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Don't think I can improve on Ursie's excellent advice, Anna. thumbsup

This is often where beta readers can be worth their weight in gold. Write the story as it emerges, don't get too hung up about whether the pacing is right, etc at that stage. Your beta can tell you as they read it over with a fresh eye whether they think A, B and C is necessary or not, gets in the way or not, and then you can decide from there what you want to keep or discard.

Good luck!

LabRat smile (who is good at dispensing this kind of advice but lousy at practising it...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard