Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#232428 10/05/03 08:46 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Okay. I've always wondered what the general opinion is on each character's personality in general. I mean, whether Lois was a better, more intriging character, or whether Clark was (and by Clark I mean Clark the being from another planet, not Clark the mild-mannered reporter.)

For me, Lois definitely wins, every time. She was my role model from an early age - I loved her fire, her sarcasm, her defence barrier that Clark has to break through, her passion, her refusal to let things be... I just love that image of a woman smile

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#232429 10/05/03 10:50 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
First I'm going to write the reply and then I'm going to vote.

I've thought about it almost since I began watching L&C. I think I prefer both, in different ways.

Lois is a lot like me. (Or, I am a lot like Lois, whatever you choose) Same stubborness, same 'I-know-it-all', same 'I-am-the-best' about some things and 'I-am-the-worst' about other things, same perfeccionism, same need to be independent... we have many things in common anyway. When I was watching L&C I could very easily identify with her.

Clark, on the other hand, is the one I can't resist. He's so sweet and adorable, and his Superman-self just can't fool me smile

So, seeing it from a 'young woman''s point of view, I say Lois's character is who I am and want to keep on being (despite my/her flaws...nobody's perfect anyway) and Clark's character is the one I want my boyfriend/fiance/husband to have.

smile
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: I finally voted for the first two options smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#232430 10/05/03 01:23 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I'm definitely a lot like Lois in that I'm very stubborn and I also have the tendency to 'go off the deep end' times. While Clark at times is stubborn too Lois is the kind of person a woman should be in that she is focussed on her career and has succeeded in a world that is dominated by men. The perfect idol for a feminist like me (look how she shot Ralph down I always loved that part!)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#232431 10/06/03 01:31 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I absolutely loved the character of Lois, for all the reasons listed above. In fact, if the character of Lois Lane had not been written (and acted) so well, I would not be the L&C fan that I am.

However, as far as which character was more "intriguing", I'd have to say Clark. Lois was a lot of fun, but I never really found my self pondering the question of what it was like to be Lois. (I didn't ever sit around asking myself, I wonder what it would have been like to have a mother like that? or whatever) But I did do that with Clark, all the time. (I wonder what it was like to grow up so different, always alone, afraid let anyone get to close, constantly fearful of being "dissected like a frog"?)

I've never actually seen the show Smallville, but I have to admit the basic concept is very intriguing - What would it be like to grow up, being Clark Kent? I also found Clark's love for Lois to be fascinating, much more so than her love for him. Just the idea of having these "powers", and how he learned to adapt to them, and what it must be like having them, etc. Or the whole triangle between Superman, Clark & Lois, and Clark's struggle to come to grips with that.

If you had asked which character I like more, or found more fun to watch, I might have called it a tie, or maybe even said Lois. Since you ask which character I find more intriguing, I'm going with Clark.

= Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#232432 10/06/03 02:16 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I agree--I really relate to Lois more than Clark... And during my late middle school into high school years I really wanted to emulate Lois Lane. (She is both strong and smart without scarificing an ounce of femininity--doesn't every woman want to be those things?!) ;-)
Clark, on the other hand, is harder to relate to (the whole secret identity thing)--but it makes for a more complex and intreaguing personality.
A huge part of the Lois & Clark appeal is the chemistry between the two awesomely attractive and interesting characters. This adds yet another layer to the cake.
For those reasons, I HAD to vote that I love them both the same.
-Wanda

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#232433 10/06/03 08:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lois, definitely. It's way easier to relate to her... for obvious (to me) and personnal reasons I don't really want to list right now.

Let's just say, I'm much worse than she is. laugh

Carole smile1

#232434 10/07/03 02:15 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Huh. When I saw L&C's pilot and first few episodes, I identified *strongly* with Clark. If I'd been online that year, I'd have been one of those who thought Lois was nowhere near good enough for him laugh But after watching SV, I decided I didn't need the angst wink and tuned out for another year and a half, until Tempus Fugitive reeled me in.

Even then, it took me another six months to come to fully appreciate Lois's good qualities -- it was the beginning of third season by then, but what really changed my mind (or made me realize it had changed) was writing my fic "Second Chances."

I still find it easier to relate to Clark, tho. Even though I routinely call him a lunkhead in comments folders! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard