Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
This is a Do-Over of a poll that I posted about two hours ago.

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
:: sighs :: People say such strange things........

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I've always been a bit confused by the term 'soda'. I used to think it was a fizzy drink which went with whisky, but then it also seems to be used in the US as a generic term for a soft, fizzy drink.

Anyway, I don't say 'soda', 'pop', or another combination. I say 'fizzy drink', 'soft drink', or the specific brand name - eg, Coke, Fanta, etc.

I drink mineral water, although lat home I've switched to filtered tap water, because it's a lot cheaper and tastes just as nice.

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
These days, everything is a diet coke. At least to my daughter smile

My husband will remind me to buy pop at the store (he's from Ontario). I suspect I grew up saying soda (I'm from Pennsylvania), but I really don't remember anymore smile At this point, all the terms are pretty interchangeable.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Blogger
Blogger
Pop.

As a proud Minnesotan I correct those misguided souls that say soda. Doin' what I can to improve society. wink

Mary

Golden Gopher Hockey: NCAA Back to Back Champs!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What happened to the first version of the poll? confused

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Anni

Here in Australia we say soft drink or the brand name. (Diet Coke, Fanta etc.) smile

Soda is soft drink with ice-cream in it. smile1
And pop isn't a drink at all. goofy

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
I say either soda or soft drink. Never pop. I also use "coke" as a generic, but only for colas, and not for things like 7-up.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
In this neck of the woods, we call it 'juice' as a generic term. Sometimes, we'll use the specific as suits: 'can of Coke' or 'can of Pepsi' etc.

Years ago, when I was a kid, it was 'ginger'. We collected ginger bottles and took them to the local shop to exchange them for sweets. But no idea why that term became common and these days it's almost never heard as juice has replaced it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's a coke. <bg> Doesn't matter what it is--if it's fizzy and sweet, it's a coke. Now the *flavor* is what differs.

Laura (who's an Atlanta native--and you can tell)

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Top Banana
Top Banana
Labrat,

How do you differentiate between sodas and "real" juices? Is "a juice" soda and "some juice" fruit juice? Or do you have to say "fruit juice" when you mean juice? And then there are things like Grape Soda and Pineapple Soda, so how do you know?

And, no, I'm not being facetious. I'm really curious.

- Vicki

PS - totally off-topic, but my daughter insists on calling all cold cereals "corn flakes". We used to have fights when she's tell me to buy "corn flakes", and I'd bring back "Corn Flakes". Now, I know when she says "corn flakes" she really means "Honey Bunches of Oats"! huh

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am from Ohio. Therefore, I say pop -- never knew people called it anything different until I got to college! Pop is ao much easier to say it's a one syllable onomotopia! But after spending a lot of time with my college roommate, who is from Ohio, but is weird -- born in California, father from NYC but she lives with her mom who is from Youngstown, Ohio -- I somehow picked up saying "soda".

OMG when I got home that summer, my family (sister especially) picked on me like nothing else. Then in the fall I work at the concession stand at the high school football stadium -- where we sell pop. Pop is on the sign, we call the kids who are selling it "pop girls" and "pop boys." I really don't think an average Clevelander would buy it if we called it "soda".

As Annie said in the other poll, we can be brutal about people that don't call it pop! I'm not personally brutal about it, but there are many people I know who are passionate about their pop!

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
I used to call it pop. I've migrated to calling it soda since I moved south. My husband kept saying he'd pop me one if I said pop, it should be soda! Since I got tired of hearing the line, I just started saying soda. Or, more often, "do you want something to drink? pepsi or dew?" Naming the individual drinks makes it so much easier. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How do you differentiate between sodas and "real" juices? Is "a juice" soda and "some juice" fruit juice? Or do you have to say "fruit juice" when you mean juice?
Good question, Vicki, and not facetious at all. smile For those kinds of juices we'd name them. A glass of orange juice/pineapple juice...and so on.

For carbonated drinks such as Pepsi, Coke etc it would be 'a can of juice'.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yesterday I replied to the other thread saying (like Yvonne) that here we call it either a fizzy drink or a soft drink. Scotland must be different! goofy

But today I remembered, as a child in Ireland, hearing people talk about 'minerals', as in 'have a mineral'. In and around Dublin, anyway, Coke, Fanta, Club and all brands of carbonated soft drinks are called minerals. wink We didn't tend to have fizzy drinks in my house, so I remember as a five-year-old being hugely confused and looking for the piece of rock whenever I was somewhere else and was offered a mineral. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Scotland must be different!
Oh, I wouldn't claim those for the whole of the country. goofy Actually, I think this is more a Glaswegian/local area thing than national. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I grew up in New Orleans and always called whatever brand of soft drink you wanted a Coke. "What kind of Coke do you want?" Then I moved to Texas where everyone calls it a soda, or if you get real hicky, soda water.

Then I moved to Minnesota where it was called pop. I absolutely hated the term and refused to be sucked into calling it 'pop'.

But after eight years of living there, to my dismay, I started calling it pop. Now that I've moved back to Texas I can't get myself to saying sodas - go figure... help

Now it looks as though we'll be moving.... somewhere else in the country - but I guess it'll always be pop to me.

Missy

Merriwether
Merriwether
A "pop machine" is a microwave.

I call it soda. But I'm familiar with the term "pop" from kids' jokes. (Why'd the kid put his dad in the freezer? Because he wanted an ice-cold pop.)

At least I don't call it "soh-der." /me shudders

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
I voted for other, but that is because you didn't put in the option of 'Both, depending on where I am and what the local custom seems to be' smile I've lived a *lot* of different places, and I find that it varies wherever I go - and since I also find myself trying to copy the local accent, it's not surprising, I think, that I try to copy the local vocabulary, too...

Melisma (diving back under her Rock, having thought long and hard about this, and finally doing her FoLC civic duty smile )

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Like the other residents of the British Isles have pointed out, we tend to say 'fizzy drink' or the brand name.

But some people, I want to say of an older generation, but it could easily also be geographic, might use 'pop' or 'fizzy pop', but only really with reference to children drinking it. You wouldn't, for instance, order a vodka and pop. (well, I personally might, once lemonade becomes two syllables too many... laugh )

On a side note, in my family at least, we tend to use juice as a generic name for any cold, unfizzy drink that's vaguely fruit-based. Which can get confusing when you have orange squash and orange juice in the house.

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard