Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#232357 09/28/03 09:08 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Please vote! I took a Real-Life poll on this subject before, and the results did not surprise me very much. Will they this time? We shall see....... peep

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I can't vote dizzy I don't say any of those. Everything is "coke"

"Do you want a coke?"

"Sure."

"Sprite or Dr. Pepper?"

Nqoire

Imagine.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I'm from Ohio, so obviously I say pop laugh . My roommate in college says soda and I picked it up after my freshman year. I came home and started calling it soda and EVERYONE made fun of me. So I switched back smile .

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, from Laura's answer I can guess the poll (still got a glitch that means I can't enter the voting screen. goofy

Course that doesn't help you much, Anni, because over here we call it 'juice'. <G> Years ago, it was 'ginger'. Don't ask, because I've no idea why. wink

LabRat smile (who thinks the 'Guess the Poll' game is fun, but a poor substitute for actually being in the loop <G>)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And I can't answer because in my part of the world we just say 'fizzy drink' or 'soft drink'. Think you needed an 'other' response in there... wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
When Kathy and I wrote Tea Totaled, we debated this. She wrote a section that included the phrase "pop machine" and I wrote her back a note that said something like, "I love everything about this section, but Lois would never say 'pop' because she's from Metropolis." She countered jokingly that Teri might say pop, being from CA. I responded that, in general, "pop" is a midwestern term while "soda" is the most common name everywhere else in the US. We did an informal survey on IRC and that seemed to hold up.

Personally, I grew up in California and learned to say soda, and then was very confused when I moved to Ohio and everyone said soda. Beyond being confused, I was OSTRACIZED. Honestly, when I look back on all the change and trauma I was going through at that point, moving across teh country, moving from the suburbs of a big city to a farm, adjusting to a new school, etc, the soda/pop thing is something that really sticks out in my memory. I was tormented for saying soda. I tried to force myself to say pop, but it never quiet caught on and I still slipped up occassionally. I was glad to escape to the south where I can say soda freely. <G>

I'll be interested to see what the final results of this poll are. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Maybe I should just start this poll over, including 'Other.' <g> :rolleyes:

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Merriwether
Merriwether
I say soft drink. That's what we use up in Canada for the most part.

I work at McDonald's (5.5 yrs) and pple get confused for a second or two when I say pop.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard