Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, we all know that Tank thinks that Jimmy should have been strangled at birth. wink But are there any recurring minor characters which annoy the heck out of other people?

I know who mine would be. wink But I'll be interested to see other people's choices!

By 'minor characters', by the way, I'm not including major supporting characters such as Perry, Jimmy, Lex and so on. Just people who were around for the occasional episode - and whom some of us may have wanted to kick all the way over to Seaquest DSV. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
I voted for Dan... he was useless... except to be thrown from the window in some Silly Revelations wink

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I was tempted to vote for Star, as most of the so-far-voters did, but finally voted for 'Other'.
First of all, I kinda liked Star. She was a bit of a nervous-breaker for me, but she was fun too, so I didn't feel like voting for her.
Also, I believe that none of them was completely useless. (No offence, Wendy, it's just me, I always have trouble choosing)
I think that L&C would be much different if one of these characters didn't exist. The problem is that I can't judge if it would be better or worse...
Anyway, I'm just a useless babbler, so I'll shut up now.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: I can't remember Henderson at all... maybe I haven't watched any episodes with him.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted 'Other' mainly because for me, the most annoying was definitely, definitely Gretchen Kelley <g>. She just really annoyed me, not only because everything about her stunk of a bad cliché, but because Denise Crosby [thanks guys on IRC who got her name for me wink ] really didnt make her come alive, I dont think. When Emma Samms [thanks again guys smile ] was telling Lois how much she loved Lex, I could get into her mind and really feel what it was like to love somebody that cruel... the desperation... the torment... etc. etc. laugh but when Gretchen was trying to convince Lex not to rescue Lois from the rat-infested-pit-thing I really felt detached from the character, the same as I did every time she appeared. To me, she was just... creepy, I guess eek

Anyway, nice poll, and interesting results! smile

~Sara smile1

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I voted Dr. Friskin as the most useless character. Her role could have been better filled by the Kents (for Clark) and Lucy (for Lois)...that and she grated on my nerves.

Jack's a close second in the most useless character category but he was fun and I liked him. I also liked his friendship with Clark.

HG Wells - a lot of people dislike this character and I'm rather indifferent to him myself. But without him we wouldn't have met Tempus who was the best foil for Superman since Lex left so he was obviously good for something.

Cat, as well as Star, could have been developed into an interesting character. Lois was in dire need of some female friends - it was actually really disappointing that she seemed to have an antagonistic relationship with every other woman on the show save for a few. And those characters usually disappeared after and episode or two. So these two characters were useless but more for lack of trying than being redundant (like Dr. Friskin and Jack).

Inspector Henderson rocked! He was sorely underutilized by the series...I was sad that he was only around for the first season.

Mayson and Dan were both catalysts in helping Lois and Clark realizing their true feelings for each other. Besides I liked both characters even if most FoLCs don't. :p Also, I think both had potential as characters that were antagonistic to Clark/Superman and yet still be a "good guy" , which could have been interesting.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, It was a tough choice between Jack and Star, but in the end... I chose Star.

I know I said I hated Jack (and I did), but he had a use in the one episode and was gone within a couple more. I still don't buy into his 'turning his life around because Clark was nice to him' routine. Nor would anyone with his attitude ever have been able to stay employed for more than two hours.

So, while I didn't like Jack's character and didn't see much use for it, Star was really annoying. Her character was created to be an unnecessesary comic relief. Only it turned out to be comic cringing everytime she came on screen. The only decent thing she ever did on the show was that she was used to give a nod to classic Lois Lane artist Kurt Shaffenberger.

Tank (who almost got to meet Mr. Shaffenberger but he took ill just before he was sheduled to attend our convention)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YES!!!! clap clap

Star is by far the most totally useless repeated character in the whole show!

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Columnist
Columnist
It was a tossup for me between Cat and Star - but Star edged out Cat for sure... Can't say why, but I think there was potential for Cat, and so why they didn't use her after season one (other than her actress went to B5) I wonder. Star, on the other hand, only served to be annoying - and I was so grateful when they wrote her out after only a few eps!

Melisma (feeling snooty here under her Rock smile )

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well, we all know that Tank thinks that Jimmy should have been strangled at birth.
Well, since I'm a newbie, can someone explain Tank's dislike of Jimmy. I personally like him for certain reasons, but I want to get a better understanding of Tank's reasons for NOT liking him. Thanks!

Jaxie

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I wasn't going to answer this question because it just seems so obvious to me. wink

I never liked Jimmy in the comics and there was nothing in the series that changed my mind about him. I've never cared for characters who were designed to be the 'lovable loser'. The stumblebum whose good intentions are always interrupting or interferring with the major characters. The 'computer whiz' aspect was manufactured by the series as a convenience to allow the show to more easily come up with background information on the villian of the week.

If Jimmy were really so wonderful with computers why was he still a glorified gopher and not working in the Planet's IT department. No, Jimmy's character was created to be the schmo and I generally dislike that kind of character.

Bottom line... Jimmy was annoying.

Tank (who generally dislikes characters who are two dimensional and even the few episodes that focused on Jimmy didn't change that fact)

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I had to vote for other. The reason I did was because I really felt that all of the characters named above had their uses in the show. I didn't really feel that *any* of them were useless, and I've utilized just about all of them, except Star, Tempus and HG Wells in a fanfic at one time or another. Each one of them had potential, even if the writers failed to develop it.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I voted for 'Other,' but then I forgot who I meant! blush

Ohh yeah! I meant Mike, the 'guy who was just *there*.' He was annoying and freaky (horrible combination), and Perry coulda performed the ceremony. <g> thumbsup

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Top Banana
Top Banana
I meant Mike, the 'guy who was just *there*.' He was annoying and freaky (horrible combination),
Couldn't have put it better myself. razz

And you've reminded me of another reason I hated their wedding. I'll add it to the location and Lois wearing the dress from Purgatory. dizzy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Mike. Definitely Mike. razz

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm going to have to say Cat Grant. For somebody who had an entire season in the beginning credits, she had remarkably little to show for it. Outside of being the local mankiller and throwing an antagonizing line or two at Lois and passes at Clark, she didn't do anything useful. Even Jimmy and Perry forwarded L&C plots even if they didn't really have any themselves. Cat did nothing at all, so I'm not surprised in the least that she disappeared before BatP and was never seen again except in Clark's group picture in HOL.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh, Mike was definitely one of the most irritating characters in the entire series. I hated the role he played and the importance they gave him in that ep. It totally ruined the wedding episode for me. But I didn't include him because he wasn't a recurring character.

As for my most hated recurring character, I'm fascinated to see that the majority agrees with me. Star is my choice right the way down the line. She is annoying, a waste of space, exactly the kind of person I would go out of my way to avoid. And I can not see Lois listening to her 'psychic' stuff for even a second, much less considering Star a friend. She'd dismiss her as a complete flake and keep out of her way.

And there's another reason why I dislike her: she was the only recurring black character in the series, and that's all they could come up with for her?!?! huh

Thanks for telling me what you think!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Outside of being the local mankiller and throwing an antagonizing line or two at Lois and passes at Clark, she didn't do anything useful.
Well, I'm not a Cat fan, but she did occasionally have her uses. She helped tail Harrington in HiM (freeing up L&C to canoodle in a hotel room! goofy ) and provided the vital clue at the last minute through her ignorance of Japanese food! :p I think that whole scene is stupid on any number of levels, but she definitely had a decisive role in it.

And she did get Lois to admit to having been scared, in Witness... but, as per usual, there was a lot of potential that never got explored.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ahh, Scardino go away, away razz

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, my annoying glitch means I still can't get in to vote on polls, but we were talking on irc and someone brought up Mike and I just had to add my raspberries in here about that.

Now there's a guy I'd like to drop down a deep well wearing concrete overshoes...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted 'other' because I actually like all of the characters listed. However, like Labrat, Mike could quite easily disappear in a fluffy pink ball of corny, sickly, yuck-making smoke as far as I'm concerned. <g>

Yvonne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard