Hack from Nowheresville
Do you guys like........Star Trek?

(There *is* a reason for my madness!)

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I really hope this poll won't be lame. (Or deleted..... blush )

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
/me tentatively raises her hand as someone who HATES Star Trek with a passion.

Hey, I have to have some difference between me and the other geeks at my school! I don't like any of the geeky stuff that so many of the other students at CWRU are obsessed with -- Star Trek, Sci Fi in general, Lord of the Rings, weird computer games, role playing, the Middle Ages, wearing scary capes and stuffed lizzards on my shoulder . . .

So I have never seen Star Trek -- except for one episode my mom made me watch once.

(Sorry to everyone that likes Star Trek -- if you went to my school, you would understand)

Believe me, I am geeky enough in so many other ways. Who else, driving on a 5 hour trip brings calculators and a computer . . . to program matlab . . .for school . . . ok for fun.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ok, exhibit A: two shelves on my bookshelf, each stacked two books deep.

Exhibit B: signed pics of several ST actors.

Exhibit C: Klingon dictionary, book of ST aliens, The Physics of Star Trek, and several other ST "reference" books.

Exhibit D: This story . Please note post from my co-author above. wink

And while I am not as obsessed as I once was (I haven't been to a convention in years, and no longer belong to any ST fan clubs), I still consider myself a Trekkie. (Besides, I hate how "Trekker" sounds.)

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Just to further my point about my university . . . If I am not mistaken, "The Physics of Star Trek" book was written by Larry Krauss . . . the chairman of physics at CWRU.

And in my defense, if I hadn't had said co-author for the afore mentioned story, there would have been absolutely no star trek element in that story. That element of the challenge would have been left out completely. Ask Rivka who wrote pretty much that whole part.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Top Banana
Top Banana
OK Anni,

I voted, even though none of the answers for question one quite fit. I voted "no", but not because it's "just for geeks". I just don't watch a lot of TV, period, and I've never seen the new Star Trek show. (never seen Dawson's Creek, either, for what it's worth)

When I was younger, I used to watch the old Star Trek show, and I enjoyed that. But I was never a Trekkie.

This is the first time I've ever heard the term "Trekker".

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had a hard time answering that first question... I like the show(s) on a casual basis, and have seen a lot of them, but don't have much interest in rewatching tapes or collecting books... my hubby's much more obsessed than I am (he's an original Trekkie).

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
Indeed he is the author, Laura! cool

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I have almost no idea what Star Trek is, so I didn't vote. I just didn't happen to watch it.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I used to be an original, dyed-in-the-wool Trekker in my teens. The whole ball of wax. But these days I cannot bear to watch ST:TOS and have to leave the room if my husband happens to have it on (it turns up on cable sometimes). I just find it monumentally embarrassing and at some point went right off Shatner/Kirk. <g>

I did enjoy ST:TNG and still enjoy watching the tapes now and then. I enjoyed DS9 too and really liked Voyager most of all. I'm looking forward at some point to getting all three collected on DVD.

I've still to be convinced that Enterprise is worth-watching on a regular basis, but so far I'm hanging on in there. Right now, still think the dog is the most interesting character though.

But these days I'm confined to watching and the heydays of Trek cons, no sleep, costume parties, discos, filk songs, auctions and general craziness are long gone.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have to confess I only like the episodes with James T. Kirk but not any of the other ones peep

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi!

I like ST, only The Next Generation thumbsup , I'm not an obessed fan but give anything about it and I'll happily read/watch it.

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, there should be another option in the second question.

I am a Trekkest (One that was/is an avid fan but were/still are embarrassed by Trekkies)

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
I"m more of a fan of TNG than the other series. I don't have the dvd's (over $100 per season? I can get SG1 and Farscape for $55!) but I do have some of the RPG books, and some of the novels. Not to mention, a picture of me with some Klingons, when I ran into them at the mall. (Seriously! It was a blood drive race between the Klingons and the Vulcans)

As for Trekkie vs Trekker, I've never really thought about it. I'm just a fan. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard