Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Anna's poll on how many children Lois and Clark should/would have had made me think again about that baby from Family Hour (a subject, I have to confess, I tend to avoid thinking about, and on the rare occasions when I've written post-S4 fic I have conveniently ignored that baby's appearance in their lives wink ).

I know that both S5 and TUFS dealt with this, and pretty much in the same way. But what do FoLCs in general think? If we had got our longed-for fifth season, what would you have liked to see happen with that baby? Explain below if you wish. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Other, other, other! razz .

I think what bothers me most is that it's a very poor conclusion to a very poor episode imho. First, I wasn't convinced by Lois's sudden shift where children are concerned - I can believe she would change her mind once married to Clark, but I would have liked to see discussions between them before she comes around from "not minding children" to actually *wanting* them. Second, dropping a baby into Lois and Clark's life when they most want one is taking a very big shortcut through the problems they went through regarding having babies: if Dr Klein says Kryptonian physiology doesn't allow Clark to have a baby with an Earthling, then it's a bit too easy to hand them the solution on a silver plate.

I could totally see them adopt a child, but making one appear out of nowhere with no explanation whatsoever and at such a convenient moment didn't convince me at all. True, I was tempted to vote for the possibility of Lois and Clark raising that baby as their own, but I'm not sure I wish the next episodes, had they ever been shot, had dealt with that, mostly because I'm really not sure we would have got an explanation at all.

So, in a nutshell, I would have liked that baby never to have appeared in that last episode, and if there had been a fifth season, then maybe they could have explored the baby possibility in earnest, with a more serious and believable approach than what we got in the end of Season 4.

Everything above is just my humble opinion of course. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Blogger
Blogger
I voted to have him written out, but I could have accepted him (it just looks very much like a boy, so I just assume it is one) for the season opener, for them to have to deal with a child without warning and for coping with loosing him again. I would have disliked the existence of the child being used to force the plot too much.
So we're basically back at what has been done with S5 & TUFS. ( clap by the way)
In and out with him, and if it is absolutely necessary give them a glimmer of hope laugh ...

--Bernd

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can't get in currently to vote, but I'd have voted to get rid of the little bundle of joy as soon as could be conveniently managed. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

1. Never like that episode.

2. Its not in Mr. Well's nature to drop a baby with an anonymous note.

3. Lois and Clark should have their own children.

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted other because I'm not convinced the child wasn't theirs. The note said 'this child is yours', and I for one was inclined to take it literally. I was looking forward to an intriguing explanation as to how s/he got there.

I didn't particularly want to get rid of the kid, either. So long as the series hadn't turned into 'The Adventures of Superboy', and the main focus continued to be Lois and Clark, I'd have been perfectly happy. Interested, even, to find out how Lois and Clark coped with a small baby in their lives. Also whether the kid had superpowers or not, how Jonathan and Martha dealt with the new arrival, and so on.

Yvonne

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm convinced that the Family Hour episode was actually written by a Disney executive to guarentee the destruction of Lois and Clark.

Had they gone into a fifth season with a mystery child in tow the show would have self-destructed within few weeks.

Tank (who vaguely remembers a fanfic whereas the child was merely a dream of Lois')

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Yay, I can vent about the end of the series laugh .

I thought Lois's utter personality about face about children was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of character in the last few episodes. I sort of always thought she was more thinking that if they ever decided they wanted children, she hoped that option would be open to them -- not "I want children right here right now". Sort of like a maybe someday attitude. I thought she wouldn't like not having the option open, but she wouldn't be devistated and want a baby right at that exact moment.

So I thought the last few episodes (ESPECIALLY Toy Story and Family Hour) were horrible and should just not have happened. I sort of always thought that they should have ended the series after the Lex Files episodes.

Hmm, but this exact feeling was what got me writing fanfic in the first place! I started writing my first fic back when the show was still on because I hated the spoilers I read for Family Hour . . . and the rest is history!

So, to sum it all up wink , I think Toy Story and Family Hour should just be erased from all of our collective memories laugh .

- Laura razz

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My favorite solution is the one Nan Smith used in her "Dagger" series, where the baby is ... oops, almost gave away a spoiler there. I also loved Zoomway's "Persistence of Memory" explanation...complex but tied it all together.
In fact, fanfic improved on the series almost every time.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
As far as someone came up with a good and convincing explanation about where he/she came from and what's going to happen with him/her, I'd have no problem at all.

AnnaBtG.

P.S.: I'd like it if they could have kids though.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Eh......Lois and Clark should get rid of the baby, give it to Jimmy or something, and keep making the streets of Metropolis safe. cool

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard