Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#232151 08/14/03 11:31 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(BTW, can't remember when the last time I did *that* - typewriters are so... so... passe?)
Ah, typewriters...oh, the nostalgia. <g>

But in email and fanfic and other less formal instances, I use just one. Saves time and space, and in places where they count every keystroke and limit you to a certain number, it's a real lifesaver...
Funnily enough, despite others mentioning saving space, it wasn't until I read this from you, Mel, that I realised when I switched from the two spaces I was taught to the one space I've used ever since!

It was when I started submitting fanfic for pen and paper fanfic zines. Space was definitely at a premium there and we authors used every trick in the book to ensure that our stories were jammed into as little pages as possible when they were printed off.

LabRat (who's off remembering the olden days of manual typewriters and zines now and being grateful for the internet all over again...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#232152 08/19/03 03:08 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I was taught one space, so I voted accordingly, but I'm German, and as Saskia mentioned, Europeans use only one. But I have to admit that I really don't care how many spaces are used, as long as the story is good! thumbsup

- Bernd

#232153 08/19/03 06:17 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oddly enough, I don't pay attention to spaces when reading or editing. As long as there aren't too many spaces then it doesn't bother me. I don't even look for consistency. As long as there is some sort of space where there needs to be one, it's all good.

Of course, previewing my post, I notice the boards ignore the extra spaces. I tried putting like 10 spaces in a row, and it looks like regular formatting. smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#232154 08/19/03 09:26 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Of course, previewing my post, I notice the boards ignore the extra spaces. I tried putting like 10 spaces in a row, and it looks like regular formatting.
Thank you, Karen!!! smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
#232155 08/19/03 09:41 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I voted one space since that's all I ever knew. This poll was the first place that I ever heard about using two spaces. It even took me, like Elena, a little while to figure out what this was all about.

I think it surprising though, that most people having been taught two spaces are from the US and most people who have only known one space are from Europe. This suggests, in my opinion, a cultural or I-don't-know-what-kind-of reason for this peculiarity. But that's only speculation on my part.

I will now indulge in my amazement at this discovery...

Sira - baffled, surprised, quizzical huh

#232156 08/19/03 11:03 PM
Columnist
Columnist
::::whispers::::

I was taught to type first in Canada, and that's where I learned two spaces - then when I went to the States, that's where I figured out about one space...

Just my 10 won worth...

Melisma (shutting up now, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#232157 08/20/03 06:11 AM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Sira:
This poll was the first place that I ever heard about using two spaces.
I guess you really do learn something new every day... huh

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard