Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232131 08/13/03 09:43 AM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
I've been noticing in stories that some people only use one space between sentences within a paragraph and others use two. I was always taught to use two, so I was wondering what the majority thought.

jump

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#232132 08/13/03 09:53 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anne, I, too, was always taught that two spaces should be inserted between sentences within a paragraph. That is what I answered in the poll.

malu

#232133 08/13/03 10:04 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I was always taught 2 spaces, but when I was working on a project with my friend from Ethiopia last year in school, he and I had a lot of trouble because he used one space and I used two. So I would change all of his one spaces to two and he would go back and change all of my two spaces to one -- without even realizing that it annoyed me wink . I think it is something you are taught -- maybe a cultural thing? Because he had no idea that 2 spaces was acceptable.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#232134 08/13/03 10:17 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I was taught to use two, so that's what I answered in the poll.

Then I did a search. The Grammar Lady says one space.

This site explains the origins of the confusion. On a typewriter, one must use two spaces. However, most computer fonts are designed to have only one space after the period. It also shows what the difference looks like using different fonts.

This Word tutorial explains how to set Word's grammar checker to either insist on one space at the end of a sentence or two. It also claims that one space "is currently the preferred style, especially for writing done on a word processor."

Jack Lynch says that two is more common, but one is used sometimes. He says it's another example of "house style." He also comments
In any case, it's nothing to fret about.

I get a ridiculous amount of mail about this one point &#8212; at least one (often heated) message a week, more than on all the other topics in this guide put together. I wish I understood this strange passion. My only advice to those who want to quarrel about it is that your time would be better spent worrying about other things.
I love Jack Lynch. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#232135 08/13/03 10:19 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I don't know which one I support, so I haven't voted (yet).

When I first started typing, I used two spaces between words. I used to always use the font 'Times New Roman' and it seemed to me that one space was too little. (I tend to leave big spaces between words when I handwrite.) But I left only one space after a punctuation mark, and also used to write "it 's" insted of "it's", "he 'll" instead of "he'll" and so on.

After I started writing fanfic, though, everyone who tried to BR or GE a story for me was complaining about the double spaces. So I now use one space between words. But also left 'Times New Roman'. Now I use 'Verdana', the font that the boards use too, and it looks better with one space between words.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#232136 08/13/03 10:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've always used one space, have been thaught that since the moment I learned to write (typing in this case). It surprised me very much to hear there were people who used two spaces. For as far as I know, it's another difference between the US and Europe. I may be wrong there, but my English teacher (who's from the UK) never mentioned it, so I think the UK uses one space too.

I've seen it both ways now, and although I'll always use one space, I don't see it as a problem to read fics with two spaces.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#232137 08/13/03 10:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've always been taught to use one space...Around 7th grade, my computer gasped at me one day and said, "Don't you know you're supposed to use TWO SPACES?!" But she was always a little nutty to begin with, and she never brought it up again, so I never considered it to be a big deal. I didn't hear about 2 spaces again until I joined the fanfic universe.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#232138 08/13/03 10:23 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I, too, was taught to use two, back in the dim and distant past when I learned how to touch-type.

Yvonne

#232139 08/13/03 10:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
my computer gasped at me one day and said, "Don't you know you're supposed to use TWO SPACES?!" But she was always a little nutty to begin with
rotflol I know this is a typo, Jen, but leave it this way -- it's really funny!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#232140 08/13/03 10:30 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Around 7th grade, my computer gasped at me one day and said, "Don't you know you're supposed to use TWO SPACES?!"
I didn't know computers could talk by themselves! wink

But she was always a little nutty to begin with,
and it's a female! goofy

malu

#232141 08/13/03 10:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol
rotflol

I blame it on all the Robitussin.

Hmm, okay, the consensus (Rivka) says to leave the typo in...

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#232142 08/13/03 10:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I was taught to type, I was taught two spaces. And when I typed for a living, just a few years ago, we always used two spaces. Although a lot of those things were for the EPA, and gov't is always about a decade behind on these things...

I occasionally get comments on it from my GEs, but I just tell 'em that it doesn't matter which one I pick, so long as I'm consistent about it, and I like the two spaces, so...

PJ
whose fingers (okay, thumb) automatically do two spaces after every period.

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#232143 08/13/03 12:05 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was always taught it was two, but over the years, when I haven't been typing for anyone but me, I've become lazy and only manage one.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#232144 08/13/03 12:07 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, I voted one space, but that's only because that's what I use now. smile Back when I was learning to touch-type on a typewriter thirty-odd years ago (probably before anyone ever dreamed of a home computer), we were rigidly taught two spaces, like others have already said.

When I started using a computer, I continued with that, for a while. But then I started noticing that not *everyone* was using two spaces. So I tried it. It took a little while to get adjusted to, since I type quickly, but I learned to really like it. Why? One less key to press every sentence, so it meant a slight increase in speed and fewer keys to type. laugh

And Anna, I use Times New Roman all the time, but I don't think just one space is too small. I guess it's just a matter of what we get accustomed to...

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#232145 08/13/03 01:28 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It seems like everyone else who was taught to touch type way back in the dim past, I was taught to always use two spaces. That's what I do now, and being a touch typist, I doubt I could kick the habit.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#232146 08/13/03 03:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
In all of my computer keyboarding classes I have been taught to type one space after... But then in my freshman year of high school, I had to write a research paper putting two spaces, and ended up getting a bad grade on it because I kept forgetting that I had to put two spaces instead of one... I was definately not a happy camper when I got that report back! mad I think one official way of doing it needs to be set, so there's not so much confusion.

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#232147 08/13/03 08:38 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I was always taught two spaces. I don't really remember the first time anyone told me to use two spaces, it was just always the standard growing up. But AP Style (and all other journalists really) uses one space for the simple reason that it takes up less space. In journalism, everything is focused on saving space - cramming as many words into the smallest space possible. Since the vast majority of the writing I have been doing for the last three years in journalism, my brain is now wired to type only one space. I actually like two spaces, so I try to make an effort to do two spaces when writing anything but journalism (fiction, emails, etc) but it's hard to make that switch since I do both each day - often switching back and forth at the same time. So I usually wind up forgetting the second space half the time. Then I have to go back afterwards and make sure everything is the same. I really need to just give in and do one space all the time.

Long story short, this is another case where I think either is right as long as you're consistant. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#232148 08/14/03 03:09 AM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Wow, 23 votes. Not bad for my first poll. I'm glad I found a subject worth debating.

thumbsup

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#232149 08/14/03 04:02 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I was also taught two spaces way back in grade school (several years of typing classes.. why did it take me until after I graduated to really learn?). Since then, it's become an ingrained habit to use 2 spaces. The only time I don't use 2 spaces is when I'm really lazy wink and in my logs for work. We have a limited space type everything in, and sometimes I have to go through and look for spaces to take out so I can add more stuff to the log.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#232150 08/14/03 03:22 PM
Columnist
Columnist
When I took typing (one term, back in grade 11, and I'm really slow) they taught me two spaces. And when I type on a typewriter (BTW, can't remember when the last time I did *that* - typewriters are so... so... passe?) I do use two. I also use two if I'm typing up something formal, like a job cover letter or something like that where you might have a picky reader. But in email and fanfic and other less formal instances, I use just one. Saves time and space, and in places where they count every keystroke and limit you to a certain number, it's a real lifesaver...

Melisma (under her Rock, admitting - with red face - that she has joined at least one singles' dating site that limits comments and emails to 5000 characters per response box, and IMs to just 200. The one-space habit makes LOTS of sense with them!)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard