Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh dear. Baxter is imaginary, isn't he? *snerk*

Yay for Jake . . . except he's now losing blood and passed out right on top of poor Claire . . . That's gotta be a tad traumatizing. Poor kid.

This story is so wonderful!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ROTFL. Thank you for that explanation. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what in the world I missed as Clark and Jake exchanged looks.

Another great part! I like seeing Superman as human...like when he and Annie go off in search of the 'cat'. <g> If I were Jake, I'd be falling all over myself since this side of Superman is something few people witness.

Jen
thumbsup

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Perfect tension, I was holding my breath the whole way down! Thank goodness we know he made it!

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Columnist
Columnist
Excellent installment! More, soon, please?????

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like has been mentioned I was very tense and on edge this whole segment, but what really got me in the back of my mind was that Superman is running around this neighborhood picking up little kids in a barrowed bathrobe...unless I read it wrong. Gonna have to go back and check.

Yep! even Jake mentioned it.

Okay I want to point out some really good lines here and try to explain why I liked 'em

My cheeks flushed red. This was *my* kid. I was dressed and healthy, and Superman was more willing to save her than I was. God.
Geez what a huge revelation for this father, seriously, that had to cut straight to his heart, but I felt like he was just being practical too...he had a little one attached to his leg, how's he gonna climb like that...and yet, the guilt was there. Ohhhh! he needs to get his heart back.

"Claire says he likes fruit!"

Superman didn't miss a beat. "Well, that's a special cat right there. Do you keep any fruit in your kitchen?"
"Superman didn't miss a beat." Just that. All the little details, all the experiences of his rescues...you've just really made this story so personable<if this is the right word>I just get this "wow! what a freaking awesome detail" shockfeeling when I read this.

Keep 'em coming! Reading and loving what I'm reading! thumbsup clap

TEEEEEJ

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Jake's love could'nt save his wife, but it will save his kids (and himself)

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Diane

WOW! smile1

Tricia cool

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great segment!

Claire was so high up, and it sounded so scary. Then we get the description of the tree, and it sounds like it's gonna be a piece of cake for Jake to go up there after her. And it seems to be, at first, and he is getting her down slowly and steadily.

Then everything falls apart on Jake (again). He is yanked downwards with a terrific jolt, and his heart is yanked just as hard back into feeling... at least for a short while. He almost couldn't hold her, could he? And the bit about how her breathing sounding strange-- what a nightmare, to be dangling almost upside down at least a story above the ground, trying to hold onto your child and having to also worry about whether she'll strangle before you can drag her back up to safety.

Thank goodness he did, and they are both (relatively) safe. Clark is turning into Jake's good samaritan. If Jake's wrist is badly broken, Clark is going to have to take him in for medical help. It doesn't sound like a slap-a-bandaid-on-it kind of injury.

Hmmm. Jake's been referring to Clark as Superman around the kids. Can you see them sitting in the waiting area, addressing him as Superman? goofy No, Clark's a father-- he'd try to find someone to watch the kids while he takes Jake to a hospital, maybe...

Again, I loved the very subtle touches of humor-- Jake's fleeting thought as to how Superman can stand Metropolis. Baxter, and Claire's description of Clark and Annie "looking for" the "cat", and the bit about how kids slam doors and there hadn't been a slam. *sigh* the ONE time you'd actually WANT your kids to slam the door...

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love this fic, and I agree with what TicAndToc said...

Great fic, you're a talented writer!

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am in awe.

Seriously.

Jake is one of the best original characters I've ever seen, and it's a very talented author indeed who can make a first-person story both compelling and true to POV.

I've always loved stories where we see Superman, or Lois and Clark, the way others from their universe must see them. This story has that in spades, and more.

I adored Lois in babble-mode. Does she realize that she spilled a bit more than she might have wanted to? She called herself by name, after all.

I read all six parts breathlessly, one after the other, and I feel really really sorry for all the other readers who had to wait in between posts. You don't want me to feel sorry for me, too, do you? smile Please post more, and soon!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Thank you so much y'all smile

My son had an imaginary cat. He use to put the cat in closet and drawer
Again, I loved the very subtle touches of humor-- Jake's fleeting thought as to how Superman can stand Metropolis. Baxter, and Claire's description of Clark and Annie "looking for" the "cat", and the bit about how kids slam doors and there hadn't been a slam. *sigh* the ONE time you'd actually WANT your kids to slam the door...
laugh laugh laugh

Jake is one of the best original characters I've ever seen, and it's a very talented author indeed who can make a first-person story both compelling and true to POV.
Thanks smile This was a really fun challenge for myself.

I hope y'all continue to enjoy!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard